Biggy's Buddies

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

It's all good, madame. Saw an opportunity, went for it!

No objections here, keith's dad, loving these old tales.

"O' course, durin' the Punk Wars..."

:notworthy:
keith's dad
Road Kill

pete you must know that my fingers go toward the 4 letter word and so avoiding this and shouts from little eddie it's a wonder i can but anything in writing, life was so much easier when we just used the phone, good luck against west brom
Bradford Massive
kgw
Road Kill

and now everyone thinks that 'little eddie' is your one ball. west brom are gonna get bloody knackered.
keith's dad
Road Kill

what about krodge lovely is he still alive and quiff boy i am more than happy to keep it in one place but the girls won't let me I don't want to p*ss any body off well that not true but you know what i mean, no salvation site so i have to do it here, if i do over step the mark i'm sorry
Bradford Massive
undertow
Amphetamine Filth

May have to launch a Sallies forum just too keep you lot off everyone elses , but there will be a cost involved ( to the band; quelle surprise). So will have to consult La Quiff;.
Keep your eyes peeled.
'I have reason to believe' he said, 'that one of you has been going out at night!'
undertow
Amphetamine Filth

The actual whole point about all these posts is the following.
I was a member of the whole Salvation touring machine from 1987 onwards, all these people, 'biggys friends' who are posting are the people who toured, sleeping on floors or shopping centres (or in other peoples beds, but I don't really want to go into that), who supported the band.
They were the people who kept the band ticking over for two or three years,the Jivers / Penguins/ others who took their kitbags and went forth.
Bands were kept alive by this sort of following we had 20 -30 of them.
I thought it had died out with Crazyhead and Dawn after Damien, but today at the Sheffield Octagon I saw three Manics fans sleeping out in plastic covered sleeping bags. i love that dedication
I loved that fanatacisim; even though some of our lot were were nutters.
It was something that you'll never get again on a wide scale.

So yes they are a bit unreconstructed, but they aren't stupid, they love music and they love the live experience.
They are a bit off the wall but know wehre they are coming from.

Cheers
R

That sort of following is long gone
'I have reason to believe' he said, 'that one of you has been going out at night!'
biggy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

undertow wrote:The actual whole point about all these posts is the following.
I was a member of the whole Salvation touring machine from 1987 onwards, all these people, 'biggys friends' who are posting are the people who toured, sleeping on floors or shopping centres (or in other peoples beds, but I don't really want to go into that), who supported the band.
They were the people who kept the band ticking over for two or three years,the Jivers / Penguins/ others who took their kitbags and went forth.
Bands were kept alive by this sort of following we had 20 -30 of them.
I thought it had died out with Crazyhead and Dawn after Damien, but today at the Sheffield Octagon I saw three Manics fans sleeping out in plastic covered sleeping bags. i love that dedication
I loved that fanatacisim; even though some of our lot were were nutters.
It was something that you'll never get again on a wide scale.

So yes they are a bit unreconstructed, but they aren't stupid, they love music and they love the live experience.
They are a bit off the wall but know wehre they are coming from.

Cheers
R

That sort of following is long gone
You know Richard, even now when I'm going down the motorway I still look towards the exits at the service stations. Back then there could be a dozen people kit bagged up hitching around to see different bands. Even the different band followings becamde friends. The Salvation lot, the m*****n, Balaam, Ghost dance, NMA & all the others.
The band following thing was so big yet it seemed to just stop suddenly when that wave of bands split up.

I personally met some great people, saw some great gigs, shagged some dirty ladies, drank ridiculous amounts of thunderbird & had more fun than I thought humanly possible. I don't think a week ever passed without a trip down the motorway & when "your" band wasn't touring one of the others would be, so off you'd go.
It really was a complete lifestyle, wouldn't have changed it for the world.

It's almost sad in a way that we've had to grow up & get responsibilities.
I still go to see lots of bands & sometimes do a few dates on the tour, but these days it's car there, hotel room, back early for work :roll:
Love ? Love is just f**king with a kiss thrown in !!!
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I remember spending a hazy night in the pub in Glasgow, listening to scotty relate tales of following around after the Fields, and envying him so much. You don't get that kind of zeal for bands today, and I really don't understand why...

Oh, that's right. I need to work to keep the rent on this f**king shoebox so I can occasionally fork out for a gig now and then...

:(
canon docre
Overbomber

I see I was wrong. But then, there isn't a huge difference between fans and road crew. :innocent:

I assume it is save to out myself now as another follower. As one can see on the pic below we even took a little effort on our beetle car. It was their UK tour autumn 89 and some more dates in 90 if memory serves me well.

We made some friends there too. My companion back then even stole one fair british maiden from the island and made her live in her lesbo camp in Berlin.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
keith's dad
Road Kill

i never knew that is was you richard if i did i would have done a bit more swearing. I have to agree with nige it was the best of time hitching,getting pissed and shagging fat birds just so your mates can have some where to sleep, does anybody remember that night in glasgow when we f**ked that house, no wonder we never got asked back
Bradford Massive
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Dude, that's just gross. :urff:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

biggy wrote:I don't think a week ever passed without a trip down the motorway & when "your" band wasn't touring one of the others would be, so off you'd go.
That actually sounds like fun! I bet it was a lot easier over there than it would've been trying to follow bands around the States - christ! *Sigh* :|
keith's dad
Road Kill

it may be gross but it was that or sleep rough and in the winter fat birds win every time
kgw
Road Kill

[quote="timsinister"]I remember spending a hazy night in the pub in Glasgow, listening to scotty relate tales of following around after the Fields, and envying him so much. You don't get that kind of zeal for bands today, and I really don't understand why...

Oh, that's right. I need to work to keep the rent on this f**king shoebox so I can occasionally fork out for a gig now and then...

well there was rent to paid back then too (except in hulme), and that's the thing, for some reason there was so much enthusiasm for these bands that people would go regardless of how much money they had, and would somehow get to a gig with just enough money to get in, hitch home through the night, and go to work the next day and then go and do it all over again, and it wasn't done with the help of stimulants either, just a youthful sense of adventure.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

keith's dad wrote:it may be gross but it was that or sleep rough and in the winter fat birds win every time
If it'd been me, and fat lads were the option, I'd have rather slept in a barn or a toilet or on someone's dirty kitchen floor, for that matter. You've got a much stronger stomach than I, methinks. :lol: :P :wink: :roll: :innocent: :notworthy:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

kgw wrote:...for some reason there was so much enthusiasm for these bands that people would go regardless of how much money they had, and would somehow get to a gig with just enough money to get in, hitch home through the night, and go to work the next day and then go and do it all over again, and it wasn't done with the help of stimulants either, just a youthful sense of adventure.
I'd still do it, if I knew folks who'd put me up in various locales, and cared enough about a band to actually follow them around... ;D :innocent: :roll:
scotty
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:
biggy wrote:I don't think a week ever passed without a trip down the motorway & when "your" band wasn't touring one of the others would be, so off you'd go.
That actually sounds like fun! I bet it was a lot easier over there than it would've been trying to follow bands around the States - christ! *Sigh* :|
It was, I lived just outside Edinburgh so me and a couple of mates could do lots of what we called "wee tours", we'd do all the Scottish dates, usually Glasgow QM or The Mayfair, Edinburgh Venue - Calton Studios, Perth Bianco's, Aberdeen Caesar's Palace then do the gigs in Newcastle, Carlisle, Middlesbrough, Hull down as far as The Jug in Doncaster, we could do Half a Tour like that with bands like Salvation, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Crazyhead, The Claytown Troupe or Mega City 4, the only full tours I did was with The Nephilim, LOUD & The Creaming Jesus, bands like these had to tour, that's how they got recognised, it was mostly "word of mouth", there wasn't "Myspace" or the like, it was in "Helter Skelter", "House of Dolls" or a few lines in "Sounds", if you saw a good support band you told your mates and you all went to see them the next time they played, bands used to Tour every few weeks back then.........or so it seemed!!.
Me and Mags went to see 80's Match Box B-Line dissaster a few years back, we both said that if it was 12/15 yeasr ago there would Ten or a Dozen Kit-Bags at every Gig :( .............what happened?.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Disillusionment...economics...violence...fear...etc.
James Blast
Banned

Nah, everyone just woke up and realised it was pish music! :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele