Report from the Cleveland show

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
AdrenochromeOH
Road Kill

Well...things started out much like I sort of expected, but hoped wouldn't be the case: muddy and obscured by fog. The mix was fairly awful with Andrew's mic so low that he was often completely inaudible. However, things eventually improved with a really great performance of Flood II. After that, they sounded better, it finally had some energy, and someone either turned Andrew's mic up or he just put more effort into it. It's just a shame it took half the set to get there.

Also, special thanks to the smoke machines for apparently triggering the House of Blues' smoke alarm which forced the house lights ON for most of the show along with the strobing lights of the wall units. *sigh* Oh well, it provided plenty of light to look at my Hypernova CD. It's a shame SoM can't manage to throw together a live disc or home-grown EP to sell at the shows.

Back to Hypernova: never heard of them...but I really liked their set. I hope they come back with their own small headlining tour when their album hits in 2009. It'll be interesting to see if it's different from the CD they were selling tonight.

oh, and a quick edit to say....Chris Catalyst. yeah, that guy's backing vocals were truly horrible. I admit I haven't really followed SoM's activities in recent years...so forgive me if he is generally well-regarded around here...but I sure didn't think much of his vocal contributions. His guitar abilities...much better.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thank you for the review. any setlist surprises? You can check other threads for the standard setlist from the tour... i think there's a pic in New Haven. Just curious if they're adding anything slightly more... obscure or old or brand new.

Anyway, some of the old hands here will welcome you aboard, too but let me say, welcome + stay a while.

There's some pretty good videos and audio in some of the other threads...

Thanks again for the thoughts.

And PS: how was the crowd? Big? Excited? Small? Goth?
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

from dominion list:

Crash & Burn
Ribbons
Train/Det
Flood 1
Marian
Alice
Giving Ground
Corrosion (You would think "that guy" would be happy,but he wasnt go figure)
Anaconda
Susanne
Summer
Dominion/MR
Still
Logic (Highlight of my night)
Neverland
Flood 2
Something fast (on the set list but not played)
Vision thing
Lucretia
Top night out
Temple

again LOGIC :notworthy: :notworthy:
AGAIN LOW MIX AND LOW SOUND :twisted: :twisted:

SOUNDMAN: WHAT THE f**k IS HAPPENIG??
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
Ghostrider
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

logic :notworthy:
i don't sleep, so i don't dream, so i don't wake up frightened...
everything is what it seems, if you look hard enough tonight and see...
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thanks for that setlist Diego! :D

Thanks and welcome newbie.
"as we walk on the floodland"
Prescott

Anyone beginning to wonder if the lowered volume lately is some sort of recording prevention technique? You know, frustrate the tapers with thereby louder crowd noise?

Or maybe the sinusitis has returned and Andy's vocals are suffering again?

Who knows? I just find it so strange that he sounded so clear in the mix in New Haven (a happy night for him though) and extremely clear in Tienen, yet recently we keep hearing these abysmal reports?

I have to admit that he wasn't as loud in the mix in Richmond as I expected, but knowing all the lyrics and being front and center helped.
"... because we're that kind of people."
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Prescott wrote:Anyone beginning to wonder if the lowered volume lately is some sort of recording prevention technique? You know, frustrate the tapers with thereby louder crowd noise?

Or maybe the sinusitis has returned and Andy's vocals are suffering again?

Who knows? I just find it so strange that he sounded so clear in the mix in New Haven (a happy night for him though) and extremely clear in Tienen, yet recently we keep hearing these abysmal reports?

I have to admit that he wasn't as loud in the mix in Richmond as I expected, but knowing all the lyrics and being front and center helped.
Conspiracy on the merry go round again. To frustrate the tapers and therefore sing low is quite a brilliant thought. But also, eh, very unlogic.

To me it's just that Vons bills are now paid, the tour starts to bore, Americans annoy him, a short rest for a while and then a huge comeback in Sister Europe.

AdrenochromeOH: Judging Chris Catalyst as a 'backing vocalist' at all will make his day, though.

Welcome anyway.
guns & cars & accidents
Prescott

dinky daisy wrote:
Conspiracy on the merry go round again. To frustrate the tapers and therefore sing low is quite a brilliant thought. But also, eh, very unlogic.

To me it's just that Vons bills are now paid, the tour starts to bore, Americans annoy him, a short rest for a while and then a huge comeback in Sister Europe.

There's any number of possible reasons is all I meant. Who knows besides Ravy Davy and Von exactly what the technical problems are. It's not that bad either way. :wink:
"... because we're that kind of people."
AdrenochromeOH
Road Kill

dinky daisy wrote: To me it's just that Vons bills are now paid, the tour starts to bore, Americans annoy him, a short rest for a while and then a huge comeback in Sister Europe.

AdrenochromeOH: Judging Chris Catalyst as a 'backing vocalist' at all will make his day, though.

Welcome anyway.
Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad someone had the set list because I couldn't have produced one. As familiar as I am with most of it, it often took quite a bit of effort to come to a conclusion about exactly what song was being played.

Chris Catalyst was virtually the lead vocalist for half of the show, maybe that will make him feel better. Still, I'll never forget his "HEY NOW, HEY NOW NOW". *shiver* His contributions to Anaconda weren't appreciated either.

The crowd was fairly big down on the main floor. I was up in the balcony and there were a lot of empty seats, however. There was a lot of talking and not a lot of enthusiasm for the show...except for the moment when they finally got the damn house lights turned off.

Considering SoM hasn't been to Cleveland in something like 12-14 years, it was great to see them and I've seen far worse shows...but I would have liked a more professional production and a bit more effort from them.
Last edited by AdrenochromeOH on 14 Nov 2008, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
Husek

I Already Said that i just f**k love Logic? :lol: i'm still happy for logic back's to the setlist
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
crash_and_burn
Road Kill

"Chris Catalyst was virtually the lead vocalist for half of the show, maybe that will make him feel better. "

This exactly was my problem with part of the DC set. I am beginning to think that it's not the sound person, but that when Andrew sings, you can hear him, but when he mumbles or just opens his mouth, then you don't.
AdrenochromeOH
Road Kill

I took a couple of pictures from the Cleveland show. Fuzzy, dodging pictures to capture the fuzzy, dodging nature of the show:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3197/303 ... 1226710875

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3067/303 ... a8.jpg?v=0
Buelbringer
Road Kill

nice pics, but next time better clean up the fingerprints from your lens :D
Brad

Recording is available on Dime!
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Methedrome wrote:Recording is available on Dime!

Just listening to the soundcheck (track 6) - that's obviously not a sisters song and I can't recognize it as a cover but it kinda rocks a lot :notworthy: :notworthy:

Dunno if that is something what we may hear during a show some day because they aren't practise any background vocals. Maybe a new title in progress or just playing around...
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

No dime-account? Here's the track I'm talking about:

http://sharebee.com/fde8e5a1

Fire in the hole!!
sultan2075
Overbomber

That is pretty damn groovy! Thanks for sharing it.

Any ideas on how to turn it into an mp3?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

just take one of these "turn everything into mp3" tools:

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

Edit:

Has anyone noticed the reworked backround vocals for c&b during the soundcheck in track #7 ?
mh
Above the Chemist

Sounds vaguely like Metallica to me. :?

Bit of a Master of Puppets feel to it....
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote:Sounds vaguely like Metallica to me. :?

thank you^^ I was told that's wrong but I tought the same when I heard it first :lol: :lol:

edit:

"John Doe" is on Youtube now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdumHULeP-c&fmt=18
Last edited by DocSommer on 17 Nov 2008, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
bismarck

mh wrote:Sounds vaguely like Metallica to me. :?

Ben's influence no doubt.

Will someone post an mp3 please?
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
industrialgrrl
Road Kill

I posted this on last.fm, and I'm posting it here too.

This was the worst show I have ever seen in my entire life. I am a huge Sisters fan, and have been for many years. This was my first opportunity to see them. We drove from Pittsburgh to Cleveland to view the biggest disappointment ever. When the band came out on stage, we were waiting for an explosion of sound and excitement, but there was none of the above. The music was quiet and the vocals were nonexistent. As for the band, you could not even see them through the unrelenting fog. I was in the first row!! I was able to have a conversation with the people around me at a normal voice. The songs were cut short, and you couldn't even tell what you were listening to until the chorus. Andrew never moved, nor did he speak with the audience. At one point the house lights came on, and stay on for the entire show. Everyone had a look of disappointment and anger on their faces. I thought that it was going to be a repeat of the Milli Vanilli show. STAY HOME! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!
industrialgrrl
Road Kill

AdrenochromeOH wrote: However, things eventually improved with a really great performance of Flood II. After that, they sounded better, it finally had some energy, and someone either turned Andrew's mic up or he just put more effort into it. It's just a shame it took half the set to get there.
When did this happen??? I don't think so!!!!!! The whole show was a waste. It was a sad sad experience. LOL....you were probably the one guy that was rocking out in front of me the whole time.
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

industrialgrrl wrote:I posted this on last.fm, and I'm posting it here too.
To what end, exactly? :?
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
JeffDub
Road Kill

DocSommer wrote:
Methedrome wrote:Recording is available on Dime!

Just listening to the soundcheck (track 6) - that's obviously not a sisters song and I can't recognize it as a cover but it kinda rocks a lot :notworthy: :notworthy:

Dunno if that is something what we may hear during a show some day because they aren't practise any background vocals. Maybe a new title in progress or just playing around...
Guitar "chorus" sounds like "Millenium" by Killing Joke actually.