Anaheim, California - Nov.30.2008

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
peartree_productions
Road Kill

Same set list as san diego... Bit better sound, bit louder and bit clearer.

:von: amused/irritated with screaming goff girl, although she did amass a sizeable plectrum collection... "What can you do?" exclaims Mr E. Good question...

Cracking gig Gromit!
GMC
Road Kill

As mentioned above, Mr. E got annoyed with someone on the front left of the stage (in front of Chris) during the second verse of "Flood II", and had to take time out from singing to A. throw something back into the crowd. B. ask "Are you insane?" (or possibly "Are you in pain?") of whoever it was who did whatever it was that had distracted him.

He wandered around, got his bearings, and came back in, although the whole band was a little off during the second half of Flood II during the interruption.

Sound was better than San Diego, and the opening numbers were -much- better. Ribbons is one of their best live tracks, and in Anaheim it actually sounded it. I think more people showed up to the Anaheim gig, so maybe he was just gratified by the size of the crowd. Same set list as SD.

Generally speaking, the show was a bit better than SD sonically; Ben's guitar was a bit more audible over the good doktor and so was Andrew's voice. Chris May's vocals have improved since '06 but I'd still rather he was quiet at least half the time he's doubling AE; he's louder, and shriller, and usually swamps the lead.

Flood II rocked in SD; it's too bad it was ruined by the fancy dress brigade in Anaheim. Anaheim's version was all set to be better, too, since "Neverland" sounded so great right before it and the feedback-squall quality of both makes them of a piece.

Ben Christo got to do the first chorus of "Something Fast" solo, either on purpose or because AE was grooving and didn't feel like singing along, and he sounded rather good.

I can still do without Anaconda. It isn't bad, and it's very Sisters, but it just isn't a very exciting song.

Overall, very nice. Glad I went to two shows, even though that isn't the kind of thing I ordinarily would do. But they only come through now and again (and who knows, maybe this is the end) so it was worth the effort..

Didn't get a shirt, they weren't very exciting. "tour 2008, Ocean to Ocean". C'mon, a Sisters shirt is supposed to say something snarky.

Oh, the opening act. Hypernova. Not bad, actually, although like most loud rock bands these days they need to go to a Sisters show and listen to the notes that -aren't- played. Stuff doesn't sound loud and impressive if the dynamics of every part of every song are the same. And the singer, while eminently fashionable, could not actually sing. I appreciated what he was trying to do (Ian Curtis by way of the Editors, perhaps), but he wasn't actually doing it.
Flowers on the Razor Wire.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

thanks for the impressions - much appreciated :notworthy: :notworthy:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thank you. :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thanks for writing the impressions, peartree and GMC.
What was the annoying audience member doing exactly?
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
peartree_productions
Road Kill

bismarck wrote:Thanks for writing the impressions, peartree and GMC.
What was the annoying audience member doing exactly?
Constantly doing a really loud wail/scream... And trying to get by the security guy (who was getting REALLY pissed off with her) and in front of the barrier.

I guess if you want the band to think you are an idiot, thats the way to go...
GMC
Road Kill

Not that it takes much for AE to decide someone, especially an audience member, is an idiot. But that's why we love him.

I was on the balcony and couldn't see. One observer thought he was annoyed someone was doing the little pinky-and index finger devil horns salute. I thought it had to be something a little more serious... even with Andy...

All I saw was someone threw something reddish and fabrickey onstage in front of Chris, Chris stopped playing for a moment and flicked it off, and then there was a commotion.

Shortly thereafter, Andrew dedicated "Something Fast" to "Officer Mike", which is either a reference I didn't understand or the security guy. I'm not sure how much anybody's going to appreciate having that particular song dedicated to them... but I bet that's part of the joke.

It did eff up a verse of Flood II, though.
Flowers on the Razor Wire.
peartree_productions
Road Kill

Andrew dedicated "Something Fast" to "Officer Mike"
Reference to the 2006 gig at the same venue. They'd had a visit from the cops prior to going on stage

As for the reason, I think it was to do with :von: smoking
voodoo
Road Kill

Of the 3 shows we attended (SF Vegas Anaheim) Anaheim was without doubt the best night

HOB Anaheim was about 3/4 full- but is smaller than Vegas so probably about the same number of people.. Floor was uncrowded so it was no problem to get within 2 people of the railing. The crowd was very enthusiastic, this probably contributed to Andrews good spirits. There was even a small mosh spirit on Temple. The silliness with the girl people have already mentioned didn’t permanently dampen his mood. Later he tossed a girl on the other side of the stage on of his vodka/cran water bottles.

Sound quality was definitely the best of the 3 nights, and I could clearly hear Andrews vocals. Banter was still a bit mumbly.

As has been noted - On the wire replaced FALAA in this set list, since San Diego I think? I assume that whatever happened in Vegas when Andrew didn’t come on stage for FALAA has something to do with this.

Andre was very animated, moving around a lot mugging fro the crowd etc. He even did the 1,2 1,2,3,4 finger count off for the chorus of Corrosion which he'd didn't do in SF or Vegas (but maybe he had heard us yelling it?) for the first chorus its was on the down low, holding his hand in front of his chest, the second time he raised his hand up high

High point of the set all 3 nights for me were Flood II, Corrosion, Lucretia (despite the unfortunate truncations) and Alice

In the end Im glad I went o all 3 shows, especially since we were soon the fence about going to Anaheim and it turned out to be the best. And Im a little sad we wont be going to any more shows. At least for a while.
"have you got the time to find out who I really am"
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

peartree_productions wrote:Constantly doing a really loud wail/scream... And trying to get by the security guy (who was getting REALLY pissed off with her) and in front of the barrier.
I guess if you want the band to think you are an idiot, thats the way to go...
Ack :urff:

Sounds much like the three (I assume under-21) young ladies who were jumping up and down and shrieking during Marian in Seattle. Maybe they got lost on the way to a Jonas Brothers show or something...

I am so glad I've always had a sense of decorum :wink: There are those who believe any attention is better than no attention, but they obviously don't know with whom they're dealing :von:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Chaotican
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

voodoo wrote: Andre was very animated, moving around a lot mugging fro the crowd etc. He even did the 1,2 1,2,3,4 finger count off for the chorus of Corrosion which he'd didn't do in SF or Vegas (but maybe he had heard us yelling it?) for the first chorus its was on the down low, holding his hand in front of his chest, the second time he raised his hand up high
He did it in SF.
DrG
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thanks for the reviews... glad you all had a great time! 8)

I rather hope someone recorded this... I still dig the 2006 Anaheim recording
shared on Dimeadozen within hours of the gig... one of my favorites! :notworthy:
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
Rantz
Road Kill

Went to the 2006 show and f**king loved it, so I was well stoked to make this one.

Talked to some of the Sisters team about the book project, gave them copies of the Special and Limited Editions of CBT, to which they were impressed, and said Mr. Von would likely be as well, and we'd talk in a few weeks. A *bit* excited about that. (fingers crossed, etc) They invited me up to the LA show, but sadly (REALLY f**king SADLY) I had to pass, as I had a prior business commitment. Oh balls.

Took a friend of mine who's in the music biz, who I'd turned on to the Sisters back in college, and he (having not seen them live before, and being a quite good musician) was equally excited to see them.

Hypernova was... competent in a 3rd-generation-Joy-Division manner, but unremarkable.

Sisters came on and were great. Equal to the 2006 show in most regards, better in some. The set list, with tracks like Marianne really made it wonderful, and Mr. Von seemed to be enjoying himself despite the drunken goth girl annoying the front row. (Which the crew said afterwards that yes, they were happy with this show, Von included)

Wish I could have trekked up to LA... argh. And hoping desperately that someone got a good recording...