Altamont: A Festival of Remembrance

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

interesting article in today's independent about the rolling stones' fated 'altamont speedway' gig in 1969 where hells angels were employed as security and went mental and fans died :urff:

http://is.gd/5a1fu

the psychological fall-out from that gig stuck with the stones for years, and is credited by some as signalling the end of 60s (counter) culture :|

there's a dvd documentary available of it too, called "gimme shelter" ( http://is.gd/5a1H8 ) - i've got it and it's pretty grim viewing tbh

eldritch pays homage to this legendary gig in the original by-line of the sisters' 1985 royal albert hall gig:

Wake

later changed to

Wake
Choruses from Under the Rock

von also stole the idea of using bikers as roadies/security from there... i'm not sure if they ever really did use bikers, but i remember reading an old interview where he said they had done at some stage... that could just have been more of his posturing to wind up the music press however :roll: :lol:

anyways, i thought the article (& the book it mentions) might be of interest 8)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Silver_Owl
The Don

Quiff Boy wrote:...von also stole the idea of using bikers as roadies/security from there...
Wasn't that Lemmy's idea? I assumed they were part of his entourage.

Interesting article though and an interesting cultural milestone.
And yes - the documentary is not pleasant viewing is it? :urff:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:...von also stole the idea of using bikers as roadies/security from there...
you might be right actually... a few of my mates are part of motorhead's crew when they play manchester, and one of them went round the uk and europe with them roadying (sp?) a couple of years ago. they all like to consider themselves hard-living rock-and-roll motherf*ckers :lol:

so lemmy nicked the idea from the stones, and then von nicked it from lemmy? :lol:
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 02 Dec 2009, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Silver_Owl
The Don

Quiff Boy wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:
you might be right actually...

so lemmy nicked the idea from the stones, and then von nicked it from lemmy? :lol:
Well, he probably suggested it to him. Reports have it he was backstage dishing out the white lines. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I have a copy of this

which gives a good account of Altamont
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Gimme shelter is worth a view for the Tina Turner footage alone!
in dub we trust
road_kill
Road Kill

http://www.vamp.org/zines/egozine-3.html
INT: I know I have to get going, she's telling me to get running. There's just one thing I want to know, there's another quote here I took from your press release. "The Sisters writhe in the legends of Altamont..." well they meant Altamont as in Altamont Speedway the Rolling Stones, when they played early seventies San Francisco, Altamont Speedway right?

AE: One of the reasons Gimme Shelter is so important. We changed the words around in Gimme Shelter. The original was about how love's just a kiss away and war is just a shot away. We turned it around. Altamont's very important. If there's a part of history where rock music stopped for a second and we began. If there's a point were the seeds of what we do were sown, it's probably Altamont, cus it encapsulated everything wonderful at the time. The good things and the bad things, and a lot of both. It's when the trip turned sour and it's when the best music was.

INT: It was slightly dangerous at that time. Really, for a few minutes there.

AE: For one guy especially. But it encapsulates so much, Altamont.
sam1

I have a copy of decembers issue of Record Collector which has a 9 page article on Altamont and talks to some of the people that were there........any one who wants it can pm me and I'll sent it to them
sam1

copy going to Being645
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Quiff Boy wrote: i'm not sure if they ever really did use bikers, but i remember reading an old interview where he said they had done at some stage... that could just have been more of his posturing to wind up the music press however
the sisters did use bikers as security for a time. the "wide receivers" credited at the end of the wake video are "boyd steamison for merciful release" and " the asfield mofos "; the ashfield mofos were a motorcycle club.
i know this for a fact because one of them is a very good friend of mine, as previously mentioned "here".
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Big Si
School Bully

Quiff Boy wrote:interesting article in today's independent about the rolling stones' fated 'altamont speedway' gig in 1969 where hells angels were employed as security and went mental and fans died :urff:

http://is.gd/5a1fu

the psychological fall-out from that gig stuck with the stones for years, and is credited by some as signalling the end of 60s (counter) culture :|

there's a dvd documentary available of it too, called "gimme shelter" ( http://is.gd/5a1H8 ) - i've got it and it's pretty grim viewing tbh

eldritch pays homage to this legendary gig in the original by-line of the sisters' 1985 royal albert hall gig:

Wake

later changed to

Wake
Choruses from Under the Rock

von also stole the idea of using bikers as roadies/security from there... i'm not sure if they ever really did use bikers, but i remember reading an old interview where he said they had done at some stage... that could just have been more of his posturing to wind up the music press however :roll: :lol:

anyways, i thought the article (& the book it mentions) might be of interest 8)
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I've got an ok (well in fact a "Get Bent!" according to James Blast) quality audience recording I found a few years back.

There's a few clips on youtube including The Jefferson Airplane vs The Hells Angels incident :wink:

And an online copy of the DVD :innocent:

There was a fairly extensive feature in The Sunday Times Magazine about Meredith Hunter a few years back, which first piqued my interest and has left me fascinated with the festival ever since. When I was growing up popular culture only ever mentioned Woodstock and to a lesser extent Monterey, there was little or no mention of Altamont. I'd never seen anything in print or anything shown on TV as to what exactly happened, just that people got beat up by Hells Angels and someone died during Sympathy For The Devil (actually Under My Thumb). Meredith's mom was also interviewed in the feature and I remember she wasn't too complimentary about The Stones (***EDIT - found it!***).
road_kill wrote:http://www.vamp.org/zines/egozine-3.html
INT: I know I have to get going, she's telling me to get running. There's just one thing I want to know, there's another quote here I took from your press release. "The Sisters writhe in the legends of Altamont..." well they meant Altamont as in Altamont Speedway the Rolling Stones, when they played early seventies San Francisco, Altamont Speedway right?

AE: One of the reasons Gimme Shelter is so important. We changed the words around in Gimme Shelter. The original was about how love's just a kiss away and war is just a shot away. We turned it around. Altamont's very important. If there's a part of history where rock music stopped for a second and we began. If there's a point were the seeds of what we do were sown, it's probably Altamont, cus it encapsulated everything wonderful at the time. The good things and the bad things, and a lot of both. It's when the trip turned sour and it's when the best music was.

INT: It was slightly dangerous at that time. Really, for a few minutes there.

AE: For one guy especially. But it encapsulates so much, Altamont.
That's the often quoted Interview I remember from :von: about Altamont. 8)
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Garbageman

According to an interview with Sonny Barger,the Stones wanted dark and dark they got......chilling to say the least.
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
moses

Using 'bikers' for security I imagine is a great deal different to using 'Hells Angels' for the same purpose. Hence the relative difference between the outcome of Altamont and Wake: 'The greatest era in the history of mankind' ends in death versus The Sisters with Lemmy & his entourage retire to Dingwalls for a few more beers then go home to bed.

Hells Angels - Hunter Thompson had them pinned.
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
Silver_Owl
The Don

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: i'm not sure if they ever really did use bikers, but i remember reading an old interview where he said they had done at some stage... that could just have been more of his posturing to wind up the music press however
the sisters did use bikers as security for a time. the "wide receivers" credited at the end of the wake video are "boyd steamison for merciful release" and " the asfield mofos "; the ashfield mofos were a motorcycle club.
i know this for a fact because one of them is a very good friend of mine, as previously mentioned "here".
What a memory I must have. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
sultan2075
Overbomber

moses wrote:Using 'bikers' for security I imagine is a great deal different to using 'Hells Angels' for the same purpose. Hence the relative difference between the outcome of Altamont and Wake: 'The greatest era in the history of mankind' ends in death versus The Sisters with Lemmy & his entourage retire to Dingwalls for a few more beers then go home to bed.
Simply glorious.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Was AE friends with Lemmy? I can't really see it myself.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Gollum's Cock wrote:Was AE friends with Lemmy? I can't really see it myself.
Yes.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Yes.
Indeed.

The oft-quoted story is that Lemmy was backstage at the Royal Albert Hall gig in 1985 (the gig released on video as "Wake") and it was he who persuaded AE to perform the 2nd encore - persuasion was presumably needed due to AE's broken ribs.

Rumours that the "persuasion" probably took the form of a couple of lines of something fast are purely speculative. ;)
radiojamaica
Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:
Yes.
Indeed.

The oft-quoted story is that Lemmy was backstage at the Royal Albert Hall gig in 1985 (the gig released on video as "Wake") and it was he who persuaded AE to perform the 2nd encore - persuasion was presumably needed due to AE's broken ribs.

Rumours that the "persuasion" probably took the form of a couple of lines of something fast are purely speculative. ;)
Hey, whatever works... right?! :wink:
in dub we trust
GC
Slight Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:
Yes.
Indeed.

Lemmy might have just been taking the p*ss "Go on get back out there. The crowd love you"
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Excuse me, given that AE has repeatedly made it clear that Motörhead are a huge influence on the Sisters, exactly why do you think it weird that he and Lemmy might get on with each other?
James Blast
Banned

Gollum's Cock wrote:Lemmy might have just been taking the p*ss "Go on get back out there. The crowd love you"
I'll go with that version with a big BUT! - there is absolutely no mention of Mr. E in "White Line Fever"
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
GC
Slight Overbomber

H. Blackrose wrote:Excuse me, given that AE has repeatedly made it clear that Motörhead are a huge influence on the Sisters, exactly why do you think it weird that he and Lemmy might get on with each other?
The Sisters have had a huge influence on my life, that does n't mean I could necessarily be friends with AE or vice versa.
GC
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
Gollum's Cock wrote:Lemmy might have just been taking the p*ss "Go on get back out there. The crowd love you"
I'll go with that version with a big BUT! - there is absolutely no mention of Mr. E in "White Line Fever"
That's what I was thinking.
s**t book by the way, only interesting fact was that Lemmy was brought up in Benllech (Anglesey). That's where I was born, small world...
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

There was a very nice Hell's Angel employed to look after The Smuphs when they supported The m*****n at The Shep Bush Empire last year.

Wasn't McCoy knocking around with some too?
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk