Sisters @ ARTmania Festival 2010

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2010 Sisters dates and the 2011 30th Anniversary tour
mh
Above the Chemist

Still though. "Von, Von, why have you forsaken me". They play the best shows in a decade in England, Belgium and Germany. They go to Romania. Where they've never been before. And they treat the fans to a world of suck.

Say it ain't so. :|
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

At least I wouldn't say that they did it with purpose so let's call it an accident. Maybe it was a bit like Hamburg 2009.
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Suck is a harsh word :eek: I mean at a gig, only 50% is in the band's power, isnt it?
dora
Road Kill

no country for old men
Caterina
Road Kill

Not bad I think.
lachert
Overbomber

three gigs tour for von looks enough :roll: he's old, you know.
long live rock'n'roll
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Finally slept enough to start moving and thinking again...

It was the worst gig of this year, so to whoever had to miss it: never mind, you didn't miss a firework.

First, it was FAR too hot for a gig. Far. Too. Hot. Even at 10.30, when the Sisters started.
Second: When they started, we had already endured FAR TOO LOUD Kamelot and something else before them. FAR TOO LOUD. Even at the rear end of the "venue" (place) it was so loud tht we couldn't talk to each other and that at least I had a pounding head ache by the time the Sisters started.
Third: Obviously most of the people had come for Kamelot. As Doulfe (sp?) put it: "Transsylvania is a metal place, not a goth place" (sorry if I'm not quoting correctly). But nevertheless, there were some enthusiasts among the locals, we tourists weren't the enly ones enjoying the Sisters gig.
Forth: As Kamelot overdid their show, the Sisters had to start late, so there was only an hour left for them (apparently there was a curfew at 23.30).
Fifth: Sound was quiet, compared to the bands before, but that might be due entirely to the fact that by the time the Sisters came onstage we all were already deaf, and they might not have wanted to further damage our ears.

Bottom line: The band really did their best! If it wasn't as good a show as the other three I'd say it has mostly to do with the unbearable heat. Besides, obviously less people here know the Sisters than in other european cities. I think the changing of the setlist might also have to do with that. They maybe tried to do a foolproof best-of-setlist.

Notabene: But still this gig was FAR better than the one in Bulgaria two years ago. And that's not only because the sound was better.

Now off to do some sightseeing and melt in the process...
You can't fix stupid.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

thanks for the review Eva! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

it's a shame the girls weren't in good form :(

i don't know what's worse though - a mediocre sissies gig or putting up with kamelot :lol:
Sita wrote: Hey Loulou, you're not alone, I did exactly the same :lol:
and by the way I had a cat called Loulou so hello :notworthy: :kiss:
aaaawwww!!!! ;D :notworthy: :kiss:

hello indeed!
Last edited by LouLou on 14 Aug 2010, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
FMAMMY
Road Kill

thanks for the review!

I googletranslated a comment on that youtube-link:

"Sin Sisters ... no longer what I know ... pathetic ... with drum machine"

hmm, it almost sounds like "do they use drum-machine these days?" :)
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

mh wrote:
DocSommer wrote:Eggi wrote me that this was the worst 2010 gig:

- they didn't played Rain From heaven, No Time To Cry, Logic
- low sound volume
- band seemed not to be in a good shape: many bad notes(or cues - he didn't specify) on the guitar and vocal mistakes

:(
Even less reason to doubt Eggi. That sounds awful. Von, why, why?

Steve? Confirm? C'mon mate?
That sounds like The Sisters Of Mercy (every once in a while). :lol:

Hope folks enjoyed it anyway. Atmosphere, people etc. :wink:
"as we walk on the floodland"
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

thanks Eva for the update.

however I really do not understand people sometimes. when have you seen any band performing all wonderful 100% of the gigs? not even mentioning things that are out of their control. I'm just happy when they are on the road and we've seen they try their best, so I am happy and can't wait for 2011. fan expectations are a bit too high at times
Sita

Thank you Eva!
Thank you dora for the videos.
So if Kamelot over did, I guess the girls left those 3 songs out because they had to make a decision, and obviously opted for some that the wider audience might not be familiar with.

edit: PS - absolutely, sziamiau! Well said :notworthy:
doulfe
Amphetamine Filth

Not much time to post so:

Didn't go to the other 3 gigs (financial reasons), so this was really nice for me. I enjoyed it A LOT. And they came to Romania, which is unbelievable, really. I still can't believe the words "Sisters" and "Romania" are now on the same t-shirt :lol: . So it was a lovely Friday 13th and the beginning of one of the best weekends.

As others said, there are not many Romanian Sisters fans. Very few people in the public, mostly foreigners. And a very passive public (typically Romanian). And yes, most of them wanted to see Kamelot :roll: . Not surprised though. ARTmania is a metal festival after all. Progressive/power/doom/extreme metal festival I'd dare to say. :lol:

Anyway, there I was, in the front row (not difficult at all to get there), a very blue shirt between black ones :lol: , enjoying the gig of the decade :lol:

Good or not, they were here. So there is hope ;D And me is a very happy girl now ;D

P.S.: Von was lovely ;D
It's a small world and it smells funny Image
paul
Overbomber

Thanks for the review, Eva. Enjoy your stay and have a safe trip home.
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

I'd like to stress that The Sisters were indeed on top form. If the gig was less good than the other three, it was merely because of the circumstances. Oh, and "Giving Ground" was fantastic!

Besides, when Emma is back home and will finally post her review, she'll probably tell a totally different story, as she's been the one standing down front in the unbearable heat for hours until The Sisters started, and she wore a very happy smile after the Sisters gig...:-)

And now, that I've had time to stroll through Sibiu looking left and right I'd like to say that it's a very nice city with a lot of mediaeval (sp?) spots you wouldn't expect in a town of that size.
You can't fix stupid.
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

yay:)
Sita

doulfe wrote: P.S.: Von was lovely ;D
When you have more time, ♥ ♥ ♥ DO ♥ ♥ ♥ tell more please :innocent: ;D
cardoman
Slight Overbomber

paul wrote:
cardoman wrote: Not impressed Paul, have two rooms full of sisters stuff too... WC"s :innocent: :wink: ;D
Believe me, together wit Luca he HAS the biggest collection.

BTW, Cardoman/woman, missed you again in Lokeren. I start wondering if you really exist... :?
Sorry to hear about your dissapointment Paul. I exist althought I wished I was a ghost (sometimes)... :wink:
Was it Alice or our daughter Ellice???
tristren
Amphetamine Filth

Well the video looked and sounded pretty good to me.

Given how well the other three went... could it be that the heat and headaches made it less fun to actually be there?

Tony
lachert
Overbomber

so now it's Ben's band :lol:

train with s**t sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqHEeME83VA
long live rock'n'roll
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

LouLou
Slight Overbomber

:eek: :eek: :eek:

i want one of those!!!

*wipes drool off keyboard*

:von: wrote:no home to go to?
priceless! :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy:
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

so cool! reminds me when my baby couldn't come to one of the TON gigs and we had the rest of the board present sign a postcard for him along with Josh saying I love you and miss you on the card. it was hilarious. made him the happiest man on earth. ah the dedication we have!
My Dominion

This is not a bad playlist ?

And

Signed by everybody and even with some remarks !!!
You must be proud :notworthy:
http://www.mydominionnl.com
A fanwebsite !
Gent, Eindhoven and Lokeren
czuczu
Overbomber