Release date of Under The Gun

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
XidiouX
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Anyone know? A cursory Google search has proven unfruitful. I don't want to miss the 20th anniversary of the last Sisters' release, if I haven't already. I don't like to miss excuses to get solemnly drunk.

XidiouX
Being645
Above the Chemist

XidiouX wrote:Anyone know? A cursory Google search has proven unfruitful. I don't want to miss the 20th anniversary of the last Sisters' release, if I haven't already. I don't like to miss excuses to get solemnly drunk.

XidiouX
16 August ... you still got a good month of pleasant anticipation ... :D ...

http://sisterswiki.org/Under_The_Gun_%28single%29

Btw, did you know that their last release were actually the We Are The Same, Susanne MP3s from their website ... ;D ;D ;D ...
XidiouX

Hi Being645,

Thanks for the info. Falls on a Friday so I can get Under The Table without having to say I'm sorry.

Indeed, there is the WATSS video to consider. Things get complicated here, like the criteria for skyscraper height. Does SSV count? Does Chairman Bax's freedom annoucement count? Do the mythical Leeds Undergound/Paris Riots releases count, even though few, if any of us, know the relevant dates? Not as last releases but as events whose anniversaries provide good excuses for a pissup. ;-)

XidiouX
mh
Above the Chemist

Shot Rev 2.0 surely counts as well, even if you're not counting Susanne or the other stuff.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Being645
Above the Chemist

mh wrote:Shot Rev 2.0 surely counts as well, even if you're not counting Susanne or the other stuff.
I think that at least Susanne does count - officially released by the band themselves! Though, it's never got played on MTV, afaik ...

XidiouX wrote:Hi Being645,

Thanks for the info. Falls on a Friday so I can get Under The Table without having to say I'm sorry.

Indeed, there is the WATSS video to consider. Things get complicated here, like the criteria for skyscraper height. Does SSV count? Does Chairman Bax's freedom annoucement count? Do the mythical Leeds Undergound/Paris Riots releases count, even though few, if any of us, know the relevant dates? Not as last releases but as events whose anniversaries provide good excuses for a pissup. ;-)

XidiouX
You're welcome XidiouX ... :D ...

SSV does could count as well, or not ... no official release ...
BUT official promos exist, which should suffice to allow you a drink
on The Sisters survival of that - last - failure on part of EastWest ... :lol: ...

The Leeds Underground/Paris Riots releases ... have unfortunately never surfaced ...
Do you know anything about their whereabouts ? I think, 1997 was around the time of their intended release.
Anyway, this pretty picture of the presumed cover should offer reason enough to relax at any time by whatever means at hand ... ;D 8) ..

Dan
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:The Leeds Underground/Paris Riots releases ... have unfortunately never surfaced ...
A Paris Riots disc (12" single maybe?) sold on eBay a few years ago and a member of this forum bought it. I believe one or two other forum members claimed to have it too.
Even just a 30 second sample might have been nice, although I remember someone transcribing the lyrics and they were utter pish so I imagine the song won't be up to much.
Rise891

Paris riots was James Ray not the Sisters. It was signed to Merciful release. The cd and contract sold on ebay. The song is not that great.
I am NOT in the cool club
Being645
Above the Chemist

Ah, that's new to me ... so Paris Riots and Leeds Underground were two different projects ... :eek: ... :?: ...
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Being645 wrote:Ah, that's new to me ... so Paris Riots and Leeds Underground were two different projects ... :eek: ... :?: ...
there are quite a few things wrong on this thread, but that assumption is actually correct
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Above the Chemist

paint it black wrote:
Being645 wrote:Ah, that's new to me ... so Paris Riots and Leeds Underground were two different projects ... :eek: ... :?: ...
there are quite a few things wrong on this thread, but that assumption is actually correct
Ah yes ... :eek: ... so Leeds Underground was some Eldritch/Sisters project?

And when exactly? And how far did it proceed? And why did neither this
nor Paris Riots come into existence in the form of a, hell, MERCIFUL RELEASE ?

Is the answer possibly hidden in SSV ... :?::eek::eek::eek::?: ... :lol: ...

Please tell.... ;D :kiss: ;D ...
Dan
Overbomber

Rise891 wrote:Paris riots was James Ray not the Sisters. It was signed to Merciful release. The cd and contract sold on ebay. The song is not that great.
I remember who posted the lyrics. It was Taylor. And his post gave the impression it was an Eldritch project, and since he's the expert I'm more inclined to believe him. (Maybe he just decided to omit that piece of information - just because nobody asked and everyone assumed?)

As for why it wasn't released properly. I have no idea. It got as far as some sort of a disc being made, but why did it get no further? Hmmm.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Dan wrote:
Rise891 wrote:Paris riots was James Ray not the Sisters. It was signed to Merciful release. The cd and contract sold on ebay. The song is not that great.
I remember who posted the lyrics. It was Taylor. And his post gave the impression it was an Eldritch project, and since he's the expert I'm more inclined to believe him. (Maybe he just decided to omit that piece of information - just because nobody asked and everyone assumed?)

As for why it wasn't released properly. I have no idea. It got as far as some sort of a disc being made, but why did it get no further? Hmmm.
I found the lyrics ... and several further, err, discussions around ... :oops: :lol: ...
http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=15022

http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=19472
http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=19513
http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6386
http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=346551

Funny, I had almost forgotten about all this, and hell, what was there in Izzy's YouTube link ... :eek: :lol:

Most important is, however, this - for once mentioning The Leeds Underground.
Obviously, Eldritch was in negotiation with Rough Trade Germany already. f**k the hell, what did happen :?::!::?::!::?::!:

* I'll never be able to sleep peacefully again, before I know ... :evil: :lol: ...
Dan
Overbomber

Aha. In the first link - The definitive answer. "Eldritch is not featuring or involved in any form".
I'd totally forgotten that. D'oh!

Ok, Leeds Underground then... anyone know if anything was ever recorded for it?
robertzombie
Overbomber

Dan wrote:Aha. In the first link - The definitive answer. "Eldritch is not featuring or involved in any form".
He must have been involved at some point: "the PR scheduled to release on Eldritch Boulevard label" (http://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 373#350373)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Eldritch Boulevard isn't Eldritch himself though...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:Eldritch Boulevard isn't Eldritch himself though...
Not! Aha! ... :eek::eek::eek: ... so Eldritch has even sold his Eldritch name? ... :cry::cry::cry: ...

Well if so, that could involve that even now he is using it under liscence only and any produce
under that name would perhaps have the people at Eldritch Boulevard getting the most of it ... :? ...

Maybe he even already sold the "back catalogue" of "new songs" written
under the name of "Eldritch" to them ... the full ruin ... *fainting into ever further nightmares* ...

But OK, if it were so, there were indeed absolutely NO point in making a record, except as, hhm, *insert here whatever* ... I'd buy it anyway ... ;D :lol: ...

But joking and nightmares aside, I hope things are not that bad and he has at least kept parts of the rights in Eldritch Bouvlevard?
Still, who are the people behind? Does anybody know? ...

Also now it seems to me, he's sold the remains of Merciful Release to Rough Trade or whoever, already in the 1990s, did he? ... :eek::eek::eek: ...

Loads of guessing and ever more questions ... and no news from The Leeds Underground ... 8) ...
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Is "Eldritch Boulevard" a record label? I was always under the impression that it was his self-owned music licensing/rights company (for "company" read "PO Box with mail forwarding")
paint it black

lazarus corporation wrote:Is "Eldritch Boulevard" a record label? I was always under the impression that it was his self-owned music licensing/rights company (for "company" read "PO Box with mail forwarding")
I thought it was a construct inside his mind of what the ideal world would be

As i understand it the paris riots thing was like the TC demo. i.e. done by AE and issued to JR as a sampler; the request from AE to JR to sign a 'contract' confirms this
Goths have feelings too
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

paint it black wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:Is "Eldritch Boulevard" a record label? I was always under the impression that it was his self-owned music licensing/rights company (for "company" read "PO Box with mail forwarding")
I thought it was a construct inside his mind of what the ideal world would be
He probably realised - sometime after that interview on German TV - that such a construct could be tax deductible if formally registered with HMRC. :wink:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I was under the impression that lawyer(s) were involved in EB too.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

One thing which always intrigued me about UTG was its genesis, ie how did :von: end up with this demo tape of a song which didn't make it on to Terri Nunn's solo album (which he then messed around with in the studio to produce a "new" TSOM song - and to think that I thought this would be the nadir of his writer's block back then).
Then I realised that the "David Z" listed on the PUK Studios website as being involved in the VT sessions was same David Z who was the legendary producer from Prince's Paisley Park golden age in the mid 80s, and ended up producing Nunn's 1991 solo album (which the demo ultimately failed to make the cut for).
David Z is also often credited as being involved in the recording of T0L 1992 as :von: continued the search for that crucial US breakthrough hit, for example on this list of recordings David Z was involved in : http://www.rama-info.com/home/producers ... _text.html.
I therefore assume (though this is pure conjecture on my part) that DZ played the track to AE who became obsessed with it (as he often did back then with MOR torch singers - Nicks, Amos etc) and used it as another way to fulfil a contractual obligation.
paint it black

lazarus corporation wrote:
paint it black wrote:
I thought it was a construct inside his mind of what the ideal world would be[/

He probably realised - sometime after that interview on German TV - that such a construct could be tax deductible if
formally registered with HMRC. :wink:
Goes back to 1983 I think
Goths have feelings too
paint it black

Iposted the Terry Nunn background here a few years back if tou search
Goths have feelings too
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:Iposted the Terry Nunn background here a few years back if tou search
I've just done a quick search and (re)read the various versions of how the song allegedly came about (she sent it to him, she brought it over to Hamburg when visiting him, he found it and worked on it without her knowledge etc) but couldn't find any references to Mr Z. Curiously his own website makes no mention of TSOM in the list of records he has worked on but his Twitter (if indeed it is his) does. Can you shed more light on this please ?
paint it black

Goths have feelings too