photos

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:Sorry, Steven, but the fact that you even felt the need to make that kind of "disclaimer" about your artwork makes me ill - this is precisely what I'm talking about. Art, like music, is subjective. Hello!!! It's not rendered "invalid" just because someone else doesn't like it. FFS! :evil: :roll:

What happened to folks standing up for themselves and for what they believe in? Good friggin' grief. :cry:
I was being (at least partly) facetious.

And I can only speak for myself, but the desire to "stand up for myself" has to be balanced with the consideration that I do, believe it or not, have other things to concern myself with than arguing with people on the internet. And all things being equal, it will turn into an argument. That's how the internet works.

For what it's worth, my personal opinion is that these photography threads haven't been the same since Carpy walked off into the sunset. And I'm not taking about the quality of the work on display.
анархия
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

smiscandlon wrote:
I was being (at least partly) facetious.

And I can only speak for myself, but the desire to "stand up for myself" has to be balanced with the consideration that I do, believe it or not, have other things to concern myself with than arguing with people on the internet. And all things being equal, it will turn into an argument. That's how the internet works.

For what it's worth, my personal opinion is that these photography threads haven't been the same since Carpy walked off into the sunset. And I'm not taking about the quality of the work on display.
-Ahh...I'll apologize then, man; I didn't realize that your comment was partially tongue in cheek.

-It only turns into an argument if both parties choose to engage in it, innit? ;) IMHO, that's not how "the Internet" works, it's merely how some folks work.

-Agree wholeheartedly, here. :(
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
smiscandlon
Overbomber

SINsister wrote:I'll apologize then
I should think so too. :evil:

:wink: :P
анархия
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

MadameButterfly wrote:Thank you and a most stunning shot there Z! :notworthy:
And your flowers were also stunning so keep up the good work Z! :kiss:
Thankee Debs :D
Izzy HaveMercy wrote:Take an example at Zeno, just discussing the matters at hand.
smiscandlon wrote:For what it's worth, my personal opinion is that these photography threads haven't been the same since Carpy walked off into the sunset. And I'm not taking about the quality of the work on display.
What can I do but agree with that :notworthy: And the foodie thread as well, for that matter :(
reactiv8 wrote:On the subject of photography @obviousman, your perseverence with film intrigues me. This makes a lot of sense, but a good range is getting harder to find and afford for sure. Processing seems to be disappearing fast too - perhaps it will only be found in art schools and professional labs soon? Patience and setting up a shot is virtuous, and something I should remember, so perhaps I should buy a good light meter? Any suggestions there pls? ... Digital does have its advantages for me though, exposure post-adjustment is one, as is access to HDR (High Dynamic Range) software. I'm learning about the latter, and wouldn't know how to achieve this in an 'analogue' darkroom - perhaps you or Mr Blast know more about this?

Presumably you have access to a slide-scanner too, or do you request a CD at processing time? Just curious you understand. I’ve got a Minolta transparency scanner which is 10 years old now, but still does a passable job!
Haven't got a clue about HDRs TBH. My usual way to see what light condition there is is to just study the shades, the sharper they get, the brighter the light is. Not too hard and works pretty well I find!

I'm quite lucky to live in a city which has a couple of good old school photographers. I get my film at one which has an incredible range of Ilford, Fuji and Kodak in all sorts of formats and get it developed at another which do nothing but actually developing film. I find the economic outlook for a shop like that a bit doubtable myself, but as they just redid the interior and everything I guess there is still business to be done in the sector!
I’m surprised that you could take that cherry blossom with 200 film at 1/125 and f22 ?!…
Just a very nice day really, and the blossom was hanging from a tree,so the camera was pointed towards the skies. Twas that or 1/250 f16, but I'm guessing it was the former... I do however suspect current 200ISO film to be more sensitive than traditional 200ISO. Compared to Sunny/15, there's just too much of a difference.
This was at ISO800 f5 1/200th

and the colours are still acceptable, although not remarkable I would agree … Yeah, I do forget now that we can be ‘restricted’ once a certain film is loaded – another ‘advantage’ of digital I suppose, unless we can afford several cameras, a range of films and carry them around all the time, eh? I still have two Canon film cameras incidentally, but they are hardly used now. I use my polarising filters with my Canon DSLR and lenses now, but the graduated filter in Picasa does a better job than the real thing for me. Your Schneider K. polariser filter sounds like a fancy piece of kit? I compromised with Jessops models of various diameters! Whilst you’ve got me thinking about colour, I’m also surprised that you make no mention of Fuji Velvia? The ISO50, and 100 now, is restricting of course! So, clouds, colours, and photography as a hobby … ? All of those things aye, …

This was an example of my use of transparency (Velvia)

Vignetting is the word here n’est pas? ‘Nice’ maze though, eh?
Liked the pictures! I Have a set of different cameras, but they all eat a different film format so can't really exchange there. My dream camera does have an exchangeable back though, think that'd be very handy!

My filter is good stuff indeed! Picked it up at a photographer who stopped his business for just €5 (instead of 100'ish regular price :eek:). One of my favourite bargains of all time :D

I have heard so much about Velvia and do plan to get a roll this summer. As it's such a low ISO-film, I'll wait until then as I think it wouldn't quite go together with my slow lens and I wouldn't want it to go waste trying to make pictures that won't catch sufficient light...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
reactiv8
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Pulled these from the archive for you Debs:~

'Scuse the quality if you will, the lighting was beyond my control you see - 'twas in a Catholic church as if you hadn't guessed, and Father was/is not always sympathetic to the requirements of student photographers ...
It was shot with transparency film however (Fuji Velvia), although heavily compressed after I scanned it. So, Hi @obviousman! - Please don't let this example put you off trying Velvia?!

This was the font in the same church and the restrictions above applied to this too ...

Later on I'll fetch the transparencies out of the attic, scan them again, and not compress them so highly this time, for a better definition ...
I expect I probably went in a bit hard with the contrast and saturation too, so it might be a slight improvement - We shall see ...

:innocent:
They (The Establishment) use sex as an addiction for control, just as they use alcohol and drugs ...
- A programme of systematic frustration in order to sell this crock of s**t as immortality, a garden of delights and love. ...
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

reactiv8 wrote:Pulled these from the archive for you Debs:~
:notworthy: :notworthy:

Thanks! I really do like that top one not because of the photo but because of the art work behind...do you know how difficult it is to do that? It looks like it's been done from one piece of wood if you look at the top of the child's head! Beautiful...love wood!
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

took this last year in Prague. Prague was amazing I want to go back..we were there for 6 days but our schedule was a bit too busy so we didn't get to see everything we wanted. plus want to go back to meet our friends again. it's a fun place
smiscandlon
Overbomber

анархия
mh
Above the Chemist

Took this on the way home this evening. :D

If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
eotunun
Overbomber

A nice one! :notworthy:
There is shadow under this red rock
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

United Colors of Noor...

Proud Granddad admiring his beautiful and cute... bouquet?

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
eotunun
Overbomber

The best wide-on ever encountered here! ;D
There is shadow under this red rock
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

OMG IZ! Her eyes, her eyes! :notworthy: :notworthy:
Talk about your shape and her mum's colour?!
She is an angel and when I see her I won't be giving her back.... :wink:

@ Noor :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
that ongoing eternity
Izzy HaveMercy

MadameButterfly wrote:OMG IZ! Her eyes, her eyes! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Such a pity my HP707 is giving her the red-eye treat time and again :|

I know what you mean, Debs; I always try to catch those eyes good and fine on cam, because they are just plain gorgeous.

One of these days, a meet-up will be in order! When all's settled here in the new house ;)

IZ.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:OMG IZ! Her eyes, her eyes! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Such a pity my HP707 is giving her the red-eye treat time and again :|

I know what you mean, Debs; I always try to catch those eyes good and fine on cam, because they are just plain gorgeous.

One of these days, a meet-up will be in order! When all's settled here in the new house ;)

IZ.
There is a program you can take red-eyes away with but don't ask me now...

You and her ma can be proud cause I got all broody and NO more babies for me, just from her eyes...ooo...when she starts getting older and then old enough....you are gonna crap as pa!

Aww...take your time to settle in and I'll hear about the meet-up, I still want to see Noor as baby though please! :wink: ;D
that ongoing eternity
Izzy HaveMercy

;D

IZ.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was so p!ssed and horny by that stage! ;D

Sam looks the same as I remember him then and now!
that ongoing eternity
EvilBastard
Overbomber

"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
reactiv8
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Good work @mh & @EvilBastard, but watch your cameras looking directly into that sun thingy, eh? :) Contre-jour is fab, but risky to our equipment ... :innocent:
They (The Establishment) use sex as an addiction for control, just as they use alcohol and drugs ...
- A programme of systematic frustration in order to sell this crock of s**t as immortality, a garden of delights and love. ...
mh
Above the Chemist

reactiv8 wrote:Good work @mh & @EvilBastard, but watch your cameras looking directly into that sun thingy, eh? :) Contre-jour is fab, but risky to our equipment ... :innocent:
That's what mobile phone cameras are for - abuse! :D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

That's why you need film ;D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I like to take the longest lens I can find on a film camera, point it directly at the sun, and then look through the view-finder - nothing like a 3rd degree retinal burn to make you feel alive :D
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:One of these days, a meet-up will be in order! When all's settled here in the new house ;)

IZ.
Pfft, I'd say a few gigs would be in order. :innocent:
Dodges Unlimited Inc.
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

MadameButterfly wrote:I was so p!ssed and horny by that stage! ;D
Aye Debs! :wink:
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Dodges Unlimited Inc. wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:I was so p!ssed and horny by that stage! ;D
Aye Debs! :wink:
Who are you?