photos

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Hom_Corleone wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:
smiscandlon wrote: You disappoint me.
I´m sorry but give me mr. 8 instead of um let´s say Dark Angel anyday!

:twisted:
He even makes ninewhilenine seem like (...tries to think what the opposite of troll is... :? )...
NOOOOO....REALLY :?: What did I miss...
Don´t tell me after all this time I´ve been sucked into something not good... please don´t guys...please don´t....
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Dark
Underneath the Rock

mh wrote:Shhhhhh! Don't mention the names!!!
Ro...:innocent:
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Dark wrote:Ro...:innocent:
Yeah, I'd rather have her back and all.

At least that plump fairies thread was funny.
анархия
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Hom_Corleone wrote:
mh wrote:Shhhhhh! Don't mention the names!!!
CANDYMAN...CANDYMAN...CANDY.... :eek:
´

Don´t please don´t ....

I´ve seen them all (horror movies-thrillers-and just fuckingmental ones)
That one still freaks me out after all these years! :eek:
that ongoing eternity
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

MadameButterfly wrote:
Obviousman wrote: @Debs: Mmmmm, clouds. My hard drive has too many cloud pictures on it :oops: :lol: (though I think only digitals, I should try slide + polarizer :D)
I love watching clouds! :D Your slide + polarizer are words you speak that I have no idea what you mean! Photos is only a hobby for me! :oops:
As it is just a hobby for me, no worries :D Slide = dias, polariser makes you can make skies look like this without tweaking :wink:
reactiv8 wrote:Let us indeed continue @Obviousman … I’m interested/surprised what you say about tripods … Hmmm, let me reserve judgement on that one, eh? Aye, of course take as much time as possible with your shots and ignore distractions. Setting ISO to 400, 800, 1600 or further can and does give good results for sure, and often the grain is a welcome addition. I suppose I often use a tripod ‘cos I’m really also recording what I see, as opposed to trying to be artistic (lazy too though, hrumpf) … I liked those flowers, and your composition – were they wild roses? Can we be allowed to know what settings you used and which film? Yeah, Macro is another universe entirely, but don’t tempt me?! (goes rushing off into the digital archive …)
No need to agree, just my personal point of view, which has grown out of not being able to afford one :wink: Remember I don't set ISO but need to pick the right film on beforehand :innocent: When shooting B&W grain is and can be very nice, don't disagree there, but I think when it's colour pictures you're going for, higher ISO means less remarkable colours. That being something I think I've noticed with the different films I've used, even though their number has been relatively limited.

Not a clue what the flowers are TBH, my best guess was Japanese cherry blossom? It was in Paris, near Champs Elysee, that's what I know. Film is Kodak Elitechrome 200 (haven't bumped into a roll of Ektachrome so far yet :(), lens was a Minolta 35-105 AFLens on a Minolta 7000, B+W/Schneider Kreuznach Circular polariser filter and settings would've been 1/125 f/22 (best guess though, not entirely sure of that).

For now I won't comment the rest as I'm rather enjoying this technobabble, meaningless as it probably is to all others :oops:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Obviousman wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:
Obviousman wrote: @Debs: Mmmmm, clouds. My hard drive has too many cloud pictures on it :oops: :lol: (though I think only digitals, I should try slide + polarizer :D)
I love watching clouds! :D Your slide + polarizer are words you speak that I have no idea what you mean! Photos is only a hobby for me! :oops:
As it is just a hobby for me, no worries :D Slide = dias, polariser makes you can make skies look like this without tweaking :wink:
Thank you and a most stunning shot there Z! :notworthy:
And your flowers were also stunning so keep up the good work Z! :kiss:
that ongoing eternity
reactiv8
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

:eek: & :innocent: With reference to most of the above:~ Gave you something to talk about though, eh? ... I've heard (a lot) worse of course. "Old Hippy" - maybe, but "racist undercurrents" - no. I think you misunderstood, but hey @JB, I was enjoying your art school tales, which I'd describe as nostalgia which we all indulge in, surely? As for the other stuff: :roll: ... apart from @obviousman who was talking about photography only :notworthy: So, thanks.
@MB - are you an 'apprentice' moderator? Not a job I'd relish ... but also: Ta.

The rest of you: If you were expecting any personal insults in retaliation ... what do you do when you're disappointed?
Last edited by reactiv8 on 14 Apr 2008, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.
They (The Establishment) use sex as an addiction for control, just as they use alcohol and drugs ...
- A programme of systematic frustration in order to sell this crock of s**t as immortality, a garden of delights and love. ...
reactiv8

On the subject of photography @obviousman, your perseverence with film intrigues me. This makes a lot of sense, but a good range is getting harder to find and afford for sure. Processing seems to be disappearing fast too - perhaps it will only be found in art schools and professional labs soon? Patience and setting up a shot is virtuous, and something I should remember, so perhaps I should buy a good light meter? Any suggestions there pls? ... Digital does have its advantages for me though, exposure post-adjustment is one, as is access to HDR (High Dynamic Range) software. I'm learning about the latter, and wouldn't know how to achieve this in an 'analogue' darkroom - perhaps you or Mr Blast know more about this?
Presumably you have access to a slide-scanner too, or do you request a CD at processing time? Just curious you understand. I’ve got a Minolta transparency scanner which is 10 years old now, but still does a passable job!
I’m surprised that you could take that cherry blossom with 200 film at 1/125 and f22 ?!…

This was at ISO800 f5 1/200th

and the colours are still acceptable, although not remarkable I would agree … Yeah, I do forget now that we can be ‘restricted’ once a certain film is loaded – another ‘advantage’ of digital I suppose, unless we can afford several cameras, a range of films and carry them around all the time, eh? I still have two Canon film cameras incidentally, but they are hardly used now. I use my polarising filters with my Canon DSLR and lenses now, but the graduated filter in Picasa does a better job than the real thing for me. Your Schneider K. polariser filter sounds like a fancy piece of kit? I compromised with Jessops models of various diameters! Whilst you’ve got me thinking about colour, I’m also surprised that you make no mention of Fuji Velvia? The ISO50, and 100 now, is restricting of course! So, clouds, colours, and photography as a hobby … ? All of those things aye, …

This was an example of my use of transparency (Velvia)

Vignetting is the word here n’est pas? ‘Nice’ maze though, eh?
They (The Establishment) use sex as an addiction for control, just as they use alcohol and drugs ...
- A programme of systematic frustration in order to sell this crock of s**t as immortality, a garden of delights and love. ...
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

MadameButterfly wrote:NOOOOO....REALLY :?: What did I miss...
I think I missed something here, too. :eek:

*Ponders*

Hmm...on second thought, maybe not. I think I've got the gist of it, now: deliberately baiting and insulting fellow Heartlanders and their opinions and creations (under the very flimsy guise of providing "constructive criticism" or "taking the piss" :roll:) and generally behaving like an insufferable asshole are tolerated/ignored/encouraged as long as one's got "tenure" here. Ahhh...got it. *Snaps fingers* :lol:

Mmmmm...how I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning (afternoon, evening, etc.). ;)

Not shockingly - I'm sure - I'm really glad it's all no longer my problem.

:von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

reactiv8 wrote:
@MB - are you an 'apprentice' moderator? Not a job I'd relish ... but also: Ta.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That gave me a good giggle, thank you!
that ongoing eternity
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

SINsister wrote:

*Ponders*

Hmm...on second thought, maybe not. I think I've got the gist of it, now: deliberately baiting and insulting fellow Heartlanders and their opinions and creations (under the very flimsy guise of providing "constructive criticism" or "taking the piss" :roll:) and generally behaving like an insufferable asshole are tolerated/ignored/encouraged as long as one's got "tenure" here. Ahhh...got it. *Snaps fingers* :lol:

Mmmmm...how I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning (afternoon, evening, etc.). ;)

Ooooohhhh that! *snaps fingers* Got it!
Good morning Sinnie!

Yeah you have other matters to deal with and I'm just little me with the cheeky mouth at most times...oh dear.

*passes you a coffee* :wink: :kiss:
that ongoing eternity
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

SINsister wrote:

*Ponders*

Now really, even I did not see this. Reactiv8 is not more offensive than the others mentioned a couple of posts ago. He's not even offensive in my opinion. Or he must be soooo subtle it is almost invisible to the foreign-speaker's eye.

Kinda weird that baiting and insulting fellow HLers is only allowed by hardcore members and is immediately killed off when a new member does it. And before you wonder: I'm kind of hardcore meself ;D

This is a photography thread, if you think he's a troll, don't bloody feed him in the first place.

Take an example at Zeno, just discussing the matters at hand.

End of rant.

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:He's not even offensive in my opinion.
You are of course entitled to your opinion. As I'm sure we all are.
анархия
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

smiscandlon wrote:
But of course, maybe I'm just too daft or naïve to see it :|

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
smiscandlon wrote:
But of course, maybe I'm just too daft or naïve to see it :|

IZ.
Well you do have that reputation round here...

:wink: :lol:
анархия
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Anyways, I will take the 'hint', and for the 'smooth' running of this forum I will return to 'topic'.

Here is a 'photograph' I took. And before Blast starts, I'm not making any claims to it being a work of 'art', I just thought it looked 'nice'.

анархия
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

smiscandlon wrote: Image
:notworthy: :notworthy:

What a lovely shot! I like the green and the mother protecting child!
that ongoing eternity
smiscandlon
Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote:What a lovely shot! I like the green and the mother protecting child!
And you can see a booby! Aren't graveyards brilliant? :P
анархия
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

smiscandlon wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:What a lovely shot! I like the green and the mother protecting child!
And you can see a booby! Aren't graveyards brilliant? :P
Men and boobies :roll: :lol: Old goth! :P
that ongoing eternity
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

MadameButterfly wrote:
SINsister wrote:

*Ponders*

Ooooohhhh that! *snaps fingers* Got it!
Good morning Sinnie!

Yeah you have other matters to deal with and I'm just little me with the cheeky mouth at most times...oh dear.

*passes you a coffee* :wink: :kiss:
Oh, sweets - my observation above wasn't referring to you in any way, shape, or form! :eek: :kiss:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

smiscandlon wrote:Here is a 'photograph' I took. And before Blast starts, I'm not making any claims to it being a work of 'art', I just thought it looked 'nice'.

Sorry, Steven, but the fact that you even felt the need to make that kind of "disclaimer" about your artwork makes me ill - this is precisely what I'm talking about. Art, like music, is subjective. Hello!!! It's not rendered "invalid" just because someone else doesn't like it. FFS! :evil: :roll:

What happened to folks standing up for themselves and for what they believe in? Good friggin' grief. :cry:
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

SINsister wrote: Oh, sweets - my observation above wasn't referring to you in any way, shape, or form! :eek: :kiss:
I know that Sinnie! :kiss: I'm not that sensitive! :wink:
Just got what you were meaning that's all! ;D
that ongoing eternity
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

MadameButterfly wrote:
SINsister wrote: Oh, sweets - my observation above wasn't referring to you in any way, shape, or form! :eek: :kiss:
I know that Sinnie! :kiss: I'm not that sensitive! :wink:
Just got what you were meaning that's all! ;D
Ok, *phew*! ;D :notworthy:
Hexe Luciferia

SINsister wrote:Art, like music, is subjective. Hello!!! It's not rendered "invalid" just because someone else doesn't like it. FFS! :evil: :roll:

What happened to folks standing up for themselves and for what they believe in? Good friggin' grief. :cry:
I'm totally with you.
Totally.
[/b]
I'll shove that bat up your a** and turn you into a popsicle
Hexe Luciferia

@smiscandlon: great photo! :D
I'll shove that bat up your a** and turn you into a popsicle