photos

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

reactiv8 wrote:
Obviousman wrote:I only do film photography ;D And have a roll of Ilford Delta 3200 upstairs! (120 for the Holga)

Mmm, I really should fill that one up, though I can't really afford to get it developed right now :urff:
Oh go on! I want to see the fruits of your labour! - I didn't know it was still available! - Great stuff!
Plenty to see on my Flickr, there'll be some new ones uploaded the next couple of days too :D (still got a colour roll from Paris waiting for publication on my HDD)
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
reactiv8
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

MadameButterfly wrote::notworthy: :notworthy:

That second photo of yours reactiv8 is absolutely stunning!
:oops: :wink:
They (The Establishment) use sex as an addiction for control, just as they use alcohol and drugs ...
- A programme of systematic frustration in order to sell this crock of s**t as immortality, a garden of delights and love. ...
reactiv8

Obviousman wrote:Plenty to see on my Flickr, there'll be some new ones uploaded the next couple of days too :D (still got a colour roll from Paris waiting for publication on my HDD)
:eek: Thanks for that!
- I especially liked 'Meringue', 'Boerentoren' and most of all 'Cathedral' - A stunner against that azure blue sky!
- No cheating in Photoshop, eh?! (I'm only jealous!)

Two questions please:~
1. Why only film?
2. Obviously (no pun intended!) you trust folk to browse your online album? (I don't ...)
:innocent:
They (The Establishment) use sex as an addiction for control, just as they use alcohol and drugs ...
- A programme of systematic frustration in order to sell this crock of s**t as immortality, a garden of delights and love. ...
MadameButterfly
Mad Mental Bat

reactiv8 wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote::notworthy: :notworthy:

That second photo of yours reactiv8 is absolutely stunning!
:oops: :wink:
Hahaha! Yeah right! You blushing, I'll have to see it to believe it.
here we go again....
reactiv8

MadameButterfly wrote:Hahaha! Yeah right! You blushing, I'll have to see it to believe it.

Well I had to say that didn't I? :wink:
MadameButterfly
Mad Mental Bat

reactiv8 wrote:
MadameButterfly wrote:Hahaha! Yeah right! You blushing, I'll have to see it to believe it.

Well I had to say that didn't I? :wink:
Indeed old man! I can't see you blushing at this point in time.
here we go again....
Debaser
Overbomber

reactiv8 wrote:
SINsister wrote:
James Blast wrote:you really do knit your own museli, don't you?
Pardon my daftness, but what exactly does that mean?
You are not at all daft Sinnie!
- It is a not so subtle slag of Hippies
- e.g. making your own Muesli
- Something that Hippies supposedly eat a lot of, although I never do! - Although I'm not sure if I am a hippy either?!
Let James explain better if he feels like it, but it is a harmless 'joke' that made my laugh
- I am not in the least offended.
I'm sure he knew he would have to try a lot harder and/or be more overtly offensive to 'get me going'.
We are supposed to have 'thick skins' here, eh?
Although, I sometimes think this goes too far, but I'm not a moderator, and perhaps this is why you 'threw in the towel', but I'm probably wrong about that too?
Do you weave your own yoghurt too ? ;)
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

reactiv8 wrote:
Obviousman wrote:Plenty to see on my Flickr, there'll be some new ones uploaded the next couple of days too :D (still got a colour roll from Paris waiting for publication on my HDD)
:eek: Thanks for that!
- I especially liked 'Meringue', 'Boerentoren' and most of all 'Cathedral' - A stunner against that azure blue sky!
- No cheating in Photoshop, eh?! (I'm only jealous!)

Two questions please:~
1. Why only film?
2. Obviously (no pun intended!) you trust folk to browse your online album? (I don't ...)
:innocent:
Many thanks :notworthy:

No cheating in Photoshop indeed, I stopped doing that since I switched to film. Not even cropping pictures! Think along with only film it's all just a matter of silly purism :lol: But to me, it's just so much more fun to get things right from the start rather than trying to make things look better than you actually captured them afterwards. All you need is to choose the right film, use the right filter (even though that might be a bit contradictory to the purism) and see to it you're using the right aperture and shutter speed. Done! :D

And trusting people: It's not like I have anything really strange on there, have I :lol: And it's half the fun to see whethre people like your stuff! (I always wonder how you manage to get as many comments as eg. our very own Smiscandlon does :eek: :notworthy: - care to explain? ;D)

Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:care to explain?
Networking. :wink:
анархия
James Blast
Banned

and he has the negatives... ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

smiscandlon wrote:
Obviousman wrote:care to explain?
Networking. :wink:
Interesting! Always thought it had to do with groups and all, but even if I spread mine all over groups, I don't ever get comments :lol:
James Blast wrote:and he has the negatives... ;D
So I should stop using slide? :innocent:

*coat*
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
reactiv8

Hi Folks!
Obviousman wrote: No cheating in Photoshop indeed, I stopped doing that since I switched to film. Not even cropping pictures! Think along with only film it's all just a matter of silly purism :lol: But to me, it's just so much more fun to get things right from the start rather than trying to make things look better than you actually captured them afterwards. All you need is to choose the right film, use the right filter (even though that might be a bit contradictory to the purism) and see to it you're using the right aperture and shutter speed. Done! :D
And trusting people: It's not like I have anything really strange on there, have I :lol: And it's half the fun to see whethre people like your stuff! (I always wonder how you manage to get as many comments as eg. our very own Smiscandlon does :eek: :notworthy: - care to explain? ;D)
Good for you being a ‘purist’ @Obviousman, but I’m rather partial to Photoshop. I am trying to wean myself onto Picasa and The Gimp … and I also like Canon’s ZoomBrowser which is very handy! More to the point I shoot my images mostly in RAW these days, so I need software to process this for me – Canon supply Digital Professional, and Panasonic have SilkyPix for this purpose. For those who are rich, they can use Photoshop CS3, but RAW => JPEG is also possible with the right plug-ins in The Gimp too! … This seems to be crucially important to allow us keen photographers to adjust the exposure after the event, something I do all the time. The built-in light meters in my cameras are usually more-or-less right, but I like to have the ability to go a few stops either way. Evidently you are careful enough to set up better? Perhaps you use an external light meter? Maybe I should too? … Perhaps we both should use plate cameras and mix our own chemicals? – Just kidding, I’m too lazy!

I’ve always assumed that I get plenty of comments ‘cos I’m an annoying ‘barsteward’ , regardless of my photographic ability, which is zero according to some … Doesn’t stop me though. Others apparently like what they see, so being human, I listen to them (& you!)
Obviousman wrote: So I should stop using slide? :innocent:
*coat*
Keep using transparencies matey – I guess you must have access to good processing facilities? I’ve found digital is so much cheaper though, and allows me the freedom to shoot away without worrying if I can afford another film or processing! So, put your coat back on and sit down!
Debaser wrote: Do you weave your own yoghurt too ? ;)
Er, actually no @Debaser, I’m Vegan you see, so Yoghurt is of no interest to me … I could knit some with Soya milk I suppose, but I don’t bother … However, just for you I did knit this today:~

I hope that covers everything ? Now where did I put my Kaftan? … Goes off humming Hurdy Gurdy Man …

8)
reactiv8

I knitted this Organic GM-free Aduki Bean & Tofu Stew just for my Heartland Peers!

I hope you enjoy it, and then we can sit around the campfire together with our guitars and tambourines, singing an acoustic version of Gimme Shelter!
James Blast
Banned

I agree (apart from non-knitting of the soya milk and you having "knitted this 'subject of pic' earlier"), many 'tricks' and 'hand manipulations' can be worked in a darkroom, of an evening. You name it I tried it, last century. Zed and I have spoken long and intensely about photography - it was a passion of mine that steered me towards my degree. Whilst I am very into Zed's "Cartier Bresson" approach, I do feel he needs access to a darkroom to see just what can happen post "click".

What happened to me and my photography passion? - I discovered the Apple Macintosh computer in 1985. Call me a dilettante if you must, but my passion for Apple computers lasts to this day.

A bit like my obsession and fealty to an old Goth band from the 80s post punk Leeds scene - sounds a bit like Joy Division.

Aye fond memory. :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
reactiv8

:eek: Wow, is this a confession from you Sir Blast? :wink:
- Interesting read though! - I love pooters too, but cameras as well! 8)
James Blast
Banned

confession if that suits you
~ Peter Steele
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

reactiv8 wrote:Good for you being a ‘purist’ @Obviousman, but I’m rather partial to Photoshop. I am trying to wean myself onto Picasa and The Gimp … and I also like Canon’s ZoomBrowser which is very handy! More to the point I shoot my images mostly in RAW these days, so I need software to process this for me – Canon supply Digital Professional, and Panasonic have SilkyPix for this purpose. For those who are rich, they can use Photoshop CS3, but RAW => JPEG is also possible with the right plug-ins in The Gimp too! … This seems to be crucially important to allow us keen photographers to adjust the exposure after the event, something I do all the time. The built-in light meters in my cameras are usually more-or-less right, but I like to have the ability to go a few stops either way. Evidently you are careful enough to set up better? Perhaps you use an external light meter? Maybe I should too? … Perhaps we both should use plate cameras and mix our own chemicals? – Just kidding, I’m too lazy!
Actually, I don't use any form of editing, that includes the Gimp (which I have for avatar editing purposes), Picasa or whatever else, just wanted to make that clear :wink: Though I do admit my purism started out of a need (Lack of technical knowledge) I have to admit I like it!

Shooting in RAW, that obviously is something else, but still, I find compared to film it's harder to define the 'tone' of your image in advance. Whereas you can choose a specific film to get a specific effect on your pictures, the only way to get that on a digital camera is through editing after taking the picture or use of built-in effects, which hardly is the same in my book. Especially the built-in effects take out half the fun.

On top of that, don't forget half the fun is in the waiting for your film to be processed and seeing how things actually came out!

Now when it comes to light meters, I'm a bit sceptical. Yes, I know my own eyes are far from perfect. For instance picture in previous post could've done with more light, but I believe that it's much more valuable to estimate the lighting conditions and set your camera yourself rather than trust the machine! So what I use is the little charts film manufacturers like Kodak or Fuji have on their sites (the only thing that annoys me about Ilford is that they don't, so I use Sunny/15 for those rolls) and my own eyes :D In fact, the only thing I get my machine to do is the autofocus, because otherwise when I twist my polarizer, things go out of focus :oops: :lol:

Obviousman wrote: So I should stop using slide? :innocent:
*coat*
Keep using transparencies matey – I guess you must have access to good processing facilities? I’ve found digital is so much cheaper though, and allows me the freedom to shoot away without worrying if I can afford another film or processing! So, put your coat back on and sit down!
Twas just a lame attempt at a very silly joke as a reply to James' negatives remark :wink:

But won't stop using slide or negative, don't worry, it's too much fun! There's an excellent lab that has won several awards just round the corner that still do everything themselves, and yes all in I think a roll costs me between 15 and 25 euros but I just love it. :oops: But, just like James said, I need to get to know what goes on in that lab too. I think it'd be doable to do B&W development myself, and plan to do so too!

Though effects through development, I don't know if I have the guts. I'd kill myself if for instance I'd lose fine images through cross processing :oops: On the other hand one of my favourite Polaroids is one I smudged! I really need that scanner...

Oh and I do like the knitted birds. Far better than the hand IMO!

Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
reactiv8

Thanks for all of that @Obviousman! :notworthy:
You and Mr Blast have just exposed me for the cheat I am! :urff:
However, digital has many uses though, and is also fun of course!
Let's meet up one day with our plate cameras when we have the time and our own processing lab, eh? :wink:

Ciao 4 now.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

You're welcome :wink: :lol:

Though I'm not sure whether I'd go much further than 120 film (the next couple of years). And one very specific camera I would love to own and play with too :D

Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I have almost the exact same photo

Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Cool! What station? :D
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
James Blast
Banned

a B+W Darkroom is rather easier to obtain than a colour one Zed, I still urge you to follow that line - working in a B+W darkroom at Dundee Art School back in the 70s (when I wasn't even 20 FFS!) is a favourite memory of mine :D

then I had a rich and boring mate that lived in Beers'din when I left art school - a lang drive frae the "Soo'side" and he was a bit of a drag - enter the Apple Computer Incorp. of Cupertino, Calif. :lol:

he is colour blind - he has a brother in-law in middle management and a sister who worked for the BBC - the application forms have a statement on the front page - "we cannot not employ any "colourblind gimps from a rich background who's sister slept her way into the Corporation". Well, something like that.

bitter... me? :lol:
Last edited by James Blast on 11 Apr 2008, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
~ Peter Steele
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:Cool! What station? :D
I really have no idea to be honest! :oops:
James Blast
Banned

it's a bit blurry too.... :innocent:

dinnae mess wi "Sormbringer"! :lol:
~ Peter Steele
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Well we're not all experts, James :|