Love thy neighbour

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.

how do you greet yours

I’m a nodder
33%
Top of the morning to you
33%
What are you staring at?
33%

Total votes: 24
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Or not

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7384760.stm

Depressing isn’t it, or not?

...and why is it okay to say 'hi' when you're walking in the hills :lol: :?
Goths have feelings too
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

a nodder, definitely. and maybe a smiler, depending on who it is...
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
christophe
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:a nodder, definitely. and maybe a smiler, depending on who it is...
you are the guy living next door to me? :eek:
Another Shade of You.
streamline
Slight Overbomber

I'm a noddy smiley type person.
If I'm in a good mood and not in a rush!

I have some neighbours I will stop and chat to, and some that I ignore!

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

For better or worse, there is no need for such community-mindedness anymore, because of ... you guessed it, globalism.

i'd prefer it if there were, but as much as i dislike people now, i kinda prefer factory-line megamarkets and high fences to personal service and knowing the people living around me.

Were i living in more civilized time, like 1500 years ago, i know i'd feel different. Maybe in some select places in the world even in 19th century.

It's sad, but one has to take care of one's own life these days.

My vote went for what are you staring at, but it's not exactly true...in the house right next to ours lives an old couple who are really very decent and kind and i do greet them accordingly. The man even brings falsely delivered mail straight to our front door instead of just leaving it in the mailbox for it to rot there over the weekend.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
psichonaut
Overbomber

generally i greet my neighbours in this way:"good morning....go and f**k yourself!"
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

bollocks !
i greet only 2 person in my block of flats.
edit:
smiscandlon wrote: I am the strange and unfriendly neighbour.
guess that's about me
Last edited by Bartek on 07 May 2008, 17:27, edited 2 times in total.
Hexe Luciferia
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I belong to the "nodder type" for sure. I could go as far as to ask "how are you?" if I'm not rushing somewhere.
I'll shove that bat up your a** and turn you into a popsicle
Little_Sister
Amphetamine Filth

I always say it should be "hate thy neighbour".....
i just got really strange and unfriendly neighbours :( when i was younger I even greeted them (eventhough I didn´t like them) and THEY DIDN`T GREET BACK... I think it´s ok to walk past in silence but not to greet someone back is just super unfriendly...
so what are you staring at :twisted:
made in the 80s
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Little_Sister wrote:I always say it should be "hate thy neighbour".....
i just got really strange and unfriendly neighbours :( when i was younger I even greeted them (eventhough I didn´t like them) and THEY DIDN`T GREET BACK... I think it´s ok to walk past in silence but not to greet someone back is just super unfriendly...
so what are you staring at :twisted:
I am the strange and unfriendly neighbour.
Pursued By Trees
Road Kill

I'm friendly with one of the ones over the road (I live on a corner) but the guy next door is an arse who had a tendency to leave the gate to the rear access open so that he didn't have to get off his motorbike to open it ... reckon I've cured him of that one now ... still an arse though.
I'm headed for the trees over there
If that's not a destination
I don't care
boudicca
Sister Midnight

paint it black wrote:...and why is it okay to say 'hi' when you're walking in the hills :lol: :?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I really like that. Maybe it's something to do with, you're in a less hospitable environment (well, debatable), so you have to band together with any other human being you see. Survival and all that, ask Ray Mears (or my dad), they know.
It's the same on canals as well.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I live in a co-op building so we all own a bit of it - you'd think that would lead to more neighbourliness but it doesn't. I say hello to anyone I run into in the list, but there isn't any popping round to borrow a cup of sugar. I only know 3 people in the building by name (and one of those is a psychotic old woman that I do my best to avoid), and would recognise 4 more, but the people in the other 18 apartments I do have any dealings with. Which is a shame, because there's a seriously cute indian girl who lives in the apartment below mine and I wouldn't mind getting into her nickers.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

I'm a nodder, and would only indulge in such conversation as "Have you seen they haven't taken the bins this week?"and that's if they ask me first! (I live in a big converted house with five flats in). Past that I really couldn't give a f**k really. The woman upstairs pisses me off on a fairly regular basis and all my conversations with her have ended with me going "Really?" or "Right!" and closing the door in a brisk manner. Bloody woman!
EvilBastard
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
paint it black wrote:...and why is it okay to say 'hi' when you're walking in the hills :lol: :?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I really like that. Maybe it's something to do with, you're in a less hospitable environment (well, debatable), so you have to band together with any other human being you see. Survival and all that, ask Ray Mears (or my dad), they know.
It's the same on canals as well.
I think it's ok to do it because it's clear that there's a shared interest there - also, it would be a bit rude to walk past someone on a trail and not say hello. It happens on dive-sites as well.

What is comforting is that despite all the glood-and-doom merchants who propecied the demise of society as a result of the internet, social networking sites are some of the most popular sites on line. Whether it's just a forum like this one, chat engines like Yahoo, social and professional sites like MySpace and LinkedIn, or websites that promote physical social interaction like Meetup, the more technology we have access to the more we crave interaction with like-minded people. 300 years ago you knew the people in your village, or in the neighbouring streets. With the industrial revolution and the urbanisation of society, your group expanded to include people you worked with. Only with the advent of the telephone did our ability to expand our social networks to people in other cities and [gasp] countries really take off, and even then that was largely limited to people you already knew or worked with. Only in the last 50 years or so, with increased social mobility, inexpensive travel, and the invention of the interweb, have we been able to truly expand our networks.

And because these relationships generally start in a faceless fashion, ugly people like me get to have dinner with attractive members of this board who likely would cross the street to avoid me were it not for a mutual interest in curry and The Sisters :lol:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
mh
Above the Chemist

I'm a "top o' de maaarnin'" person, I'll say "hello" to anyone (or more normally, a bright and breezy "hi there!"), and depending on whether or not they're in a rush (or I'm in one) I'll even stop and talk for a minute or two.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

I just nod and say hello to a couple of them. But I wouldn't go for a real chat, have to be careful as some of them neighbours would :eek:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Pista
Cureboi

I always say hello, well rather, jo napot (good day) or jo reggelt (good morning) or jo estet (good evening).
If I said "top of the morning" I don't think they'd understand me TBH.

I'm like Michael really. I'll talk to just about anyone & the amount of people that I simply don't know by name that say hello to me is a bit overwhelming.
BTW Michael. Isn't that Shakin' Stevens in your avatar?
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I live in LS6. I don't trust 'em with my keys, they don't trust me with their knives and drugs.
mh
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:BTW Michael. Isn't that Shakin' Stevens in your avatar?
Whatever gave you that idea, Steve? :innocent:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
christophe
Overbomber

where I live now, I nod to most of the people.
I have been told I have a girl my age living next to me but I haven't seen her yet (I only live here for 7 years :roll: ) but they are the kind of people that open their garage with a remote drive inside and never go outside without the car :roll:

where I am moving to I have this sweet women living next to me she comes and say hi allmost every day.
the people on the other side... I heard they are going to have a baby one of the following days, somebody els told me :roll:
Another Shade of You.
Pista
Cureboi

mh wrote:
I see what you did there

:notworthy: :notworthy: :lol: :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
mh
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:
mh wrote:
I see what you did there

:notworthy: :notworthy: :lol: :lol:
He's great, isn't he. I have all his records.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

timsinister wrote:I live in LS6. I don't trust 'em with my keys, they don't trust me with their knives and drugs.
Welcome to G51. Most of my neighbours over the years have been junkie scum who I wouldn't p*ss on if they were on fire.
Pista
Cureboi

mh wrote: He's great, isn't he. I have all his records.
He's headlining Glasto this year too!
:innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity