Clothes Sizes. Grrrrrr!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
scotty
Overbomber

Can't someone please pass a law to standardize the sizes of cloathes :evil: :evil:

Jeans, I take a 38" waist.......pauses for sniggers!, I bought 2 pairs a few weeks a go on line, one pair were too small :eek: the other too big :eek: :roll: , I returned them, one for a 36" & one for a 40"!!, 4" difference :evil:

In waterproof coats I take a Large in a Barbour & Helly Hansen but a XL in a Musto.

I usually wear a fleece lined, nylon shelled smock thing in winter unless it's heavy rain, I need a XXXL in a Montane & only a Large in the equivalent Country Covers top, I've just got a Buffalo smock and needed a 52" chest :eek: ...........I'm a 47" chest!

It costs a bloody fortune in postage sending ill fitting stuff back :evil: :evil:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

I believe there was a time, before all this internet malarkey, that people actually used to go into shops to buy their clothes.
Primitive by twenty-first century standards, I know, but I believe they even had rooms where you could try on the clothes to make sure they fit before buying them. :innocent: :wink:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Make your own...I am being serious.

http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/

They even do custom clothing make to measure.
scotty
Overbomber

Pat wrote:Make your own...I am being serious.

http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/

They even do custom clothing make to measure.
Fuckin' Hell Pat :eek: , High Bentham in the nearest wee town from me, only 6 miles away, I never knew that shop existed!!! :lol: , I'll give them a look, cheers 8)

@ Erudite, fair comment if you live near an outlet for a particular manafacturer, Country Cocers are in Devon, hardly a half hour trip from the Lancashire/Yorkshire/Cumbria border :roll: , Penrith is the nearest outlet for serious out door wear, an hour and a half each way :|
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

scotty wrote:Penrith is the nearest outlet for serious out door wear, an hour and a half each way :|
Penrith! PENRITH! If you're in that vicinity go to the Mardale Inn at St Patrick's Well, 15 inute drive south. :D
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
Big Si
School Bully

Erudite wrote:I believe there was a time, before all this internet malarkey, that people actually used to go into shops to buy their clothes.
Primitive by twenty-first century standards, I know, but I believe they even had rooms where you could try on the clothes to make sure they fit before buying them. :innocent: :wink:
And clothes sizes were still based on post war measurements taken of people living on ration books :wink:

Explains why shops for the larger consumer are booming, while M&S try to turn a profit*.

*scotty still likes the adverts though :innocent:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

[quote="Big Si"][quote="Erudite"]

Explains why shops for the larger consumer are booming, while M&S try to turn a profit*.

Aye, sadly the skinny short-arse shop has yet to open. :lol:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Tell me about it! :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

ditto!
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

What she said.

I usually go to Topshop every time I need something as I can rely on their sizes!
Last edited by Brideoffrankenstein on 29 Mar 2010, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
Pista
Cureboi

Can't you just buy stuff & boil it until it's the right size?
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

that doesn't work with rubber
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Pista
Cureboi

emilystrange wrote:that doesn't work with rubber
:eek:

:lol: :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:that doesn't work with rubber
nor leather
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

There goes my forlorn hope that womens clothing sizes-which have been wonky for years-would one day be as reliable as those for men.A 38 waist ought to be 38 inches-Why is this so difficult to get right? :?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think it's that some shops have the absurd idea that marking clothes up at smaller sizes than they actually are will flatter the purchaser, who thinks "hey, I can get in a size *** after all!".

I can only assume that shops that do it the other way round are effectively saying "fück off you fat basŧard!"
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Holly_DelRey
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Erudite wrote:
:lol: They really need to bring the skinny tall-arse shops here. Shopping for trousers is a pain in the arse :roll:
🇨🇦 🔁 🇺🇲
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i'm (fairly) slim and of average height, but i likes my jeans with huuuuge turn-ups

it's quite tricky to get jeans in the uk that are 32 inch waist and a 38 leg :lol:

they only seem to go up to 32w/34l :(

if i want a 38 leg i have to ones with a 36 waiste, which look mahooosive :lol:

and don't even get me started with jeans shopping in the states... i ask for 32w there and they send me to the kids dept :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
mh
Above the Chemist

What about odd-numbered sizes? I need a 33 inch leg but can only get 32 or 34. One's flapping around my ankles, the other drags down over my heels and gets all ragged. :evil: Bastards! :evil:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
James Blast
Banned

I shop (online of course) at Fück off you fat basŧard!

no complaints here ;D

actually it's Cotton Traders
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

mh wrote:What about odd-numbered sizes? I need a 33 inch leg but can only get 32 or 34. One's flapping around my ankles, the other drags down over my heels and gets all ragged. :evil: Bastards! :evil:
turn-ups ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

sizes are all different country to country

make to make or label to label.

my hubby has a 35 w and 36 l. finding a pair of pants to fit is a nightmare.

my size is 34 w and no idea what length is but pants are always too long and so i need heels and also a belt size in the kid's department. unless you go to indian or italian shops, their ladies are more my height.

for the kids it's terrible...the length of my son's legs means he needs to wear a belt as his waist is tiny as is that of my daughter. buying in length sizes always means too big waist sizes and then just three months later, they have grown again and the pants are too short.

i hate shopping and go into shops cause we all have to fit!
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
christophe
Overbomber

Hollylicious wrote:
Erudite wrote:
:lol: They really need to bring the skinny tall-arse shops here. Shopping for trousers is a pain in the arse :roll:
FACT!

now when I come to think of it... it has been years since I last visited a shop.
all my pants are 'that old' and I buy my shirts at concerts :lol:
Another Shade of You.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Quiff Boy wrote:it's quite tricky to get jeans in the uk that are 32 inch waist and a 38 leg :lol:
We wear our pants the same size :eek: :lol:

But yes, that size is a pain to find, luckily there are a couple of shops in town where you can get them on order, so I just go in and try a 32/shorty after which I order a 32/long enough :D

To get a proper size suit, however, is an even bigger problem :urff: I always need to get the legs and arms adjusted because I'd fit in the ones that are the correct length about a dozen of times :urff: :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr