'Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie' - the "lost" 1985 single ..

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Fodderstompf
Amphetamine Filth

Once intended as a single produced by Jim Steinman...

"An EP with ABBA covers is in preparation." (SPEX magazine, Germany, August 1985, page 5)

Confirmed by Eldritch himself:
"I called him up three years ago when the band still played 'Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie', and I told him about the song and that our version had to be really stupid. He totally agreed with me but was booked out. Then the band split." (SPEX magazine January 1988)

"We were thinking of doing an ABBA song [with Steinman] originally. So we rang him up two years ago and he was busy." (Bingo TV, 26/2/1988)

What could have been the b side? "Knowing Me Knowing You" anyone?
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

i'd love to hear a :von: version of 'take a chance on me' :lol:
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

and i'd love to hear "take me breath away" singed by we-know-who.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Chiquitita ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

if song of Berlin if to difficult this is something easier.
James Blast
Banned

The day before you came, sans his old man yelps! obviously ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

LouLou wrote:i'd love to hear a :von: version of 'take a chance on me' :lol:
what about this one?
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
James Blast
Banned

oh, I forgot to mention that I think ABbaaaa are pants apart from The day before you came
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
sultan2075
Overbomber

Not ABBA, but an old friend of mine once suggested that Roadhouse Blues by the Doors would make a great TSOM cover. I think he's right.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
James Blast
Banned

aye, but they'd do the Status Quo version ;D
~ Peter Steele
Sita

Fodderstompf wrote:Once intended as a single produced by Jim Steinman...

"An EP with ABBA covers is in preparation." (SPEX magazine, Germany, August 1985, page 5)

"I called him up three years ago when the band still played 'Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie', and I told him about the song and that our version had to be really stupid. He totally agreed with me but was booked out. Then the band split." (SPEX magazine January 1988)

"We were thinking of doing an ABBA song [with Steinman] originally. So we rang him up two years ago and he was busy." (Bingo TV, 26/2/1988)

I would have loved to hear such a single. But ABBA don't allow cover versions or samples. I remember how Madonna, when Hung Up came out, said in a talkshow how difficult it was to get ABBA's permission. She even said something along the lines of they weren't very friendly. I can only imagine how enthusiastic they would have reacted if Eldritch contacted them :roll:
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Sita wrote:

I would have loved to hear such a single. But ABBA don't allow cover versions or samples.
Really?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abbametal-Tribu ... 82&sr=1-46

There are loads of them,the Amazon search even flagged up a panpipe tribute.

No,really !
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

@ ribbons69 - that album's great singing-along-in-the-car material!

especially the Morgana Le Fay version of Voulez-vous. cracks me up every time ;D :notworthy:
Last edited by LouLou on 16 Aug 2010, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Big Si
School Bully

ribbons69 wrote:
Sita wrote:

I would have loved to hear such a single. But ABBA don't allow cover versions or samples.
Really?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abbametal-Tribu ... 82&sr=1-46

There are loads of them,the Amazon search even flagged up a panpipe tribute.

No,really !
I think she means samples rather than cover versions.

Just ask The KLF :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
mh
Above the Chemist

B side material would definitely have to be ultra-cheesy. I vote Dancing Queen. I could just see :von: hamming it up and turning into a tragic Emma-esque grinder. ;D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
BaroqueHyena
Road Kill

mh wrote:B side material would definitely have to be ultra-cheesy. I vote Dancing Queen. I could just see :von: hamming it up and turning into a tragic Emma-esque grinder. ;D
Oh christ, that woulda been something to see.

I could actually see Lay All Your Love on Me done up all This Corrosion-y with a choir and all :eek:
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

what the heck, why not a 25-minute medley of all of the above?
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Sita wrote:But ABBA don't allow cover versions
Erasure's Abba-esque EP and the various artists Abbamania album were both big hits.
Pista
Cureboi

....Can you hear the drums Fernando?......

:innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:
Sita wrote:But ABBA don't allow cover versions
Erasure's Abba-esque EP and the various artists Abbamania album were both big hits.
As was Blancmange's rather lacklustre version of The Day Before You Came.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah but Abba are s**t.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
moses

I would rather eat glass.
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Fodderstompf wrote:Once intended as a single produced by Jim Steinman...

interesting. don't think i've ever come across that info or those interviews before.

i wonder if it was pressure from wea to produce something chart-friendly? walk away and nttc didn't exactly set the charts on fire, and by '86 "peer" bands like the cure and the banshees were clocking up the hits... maybe wea looked at their material, saw that they did an abba cover and that it was a bit of a cult fave, and in their infinite wisdom "suggested" to the band that they consider levering the popularity of their covers... :?:

or it could have been eldritch winding up the press again. back in those days he wasn't exactly know for, ahem, telling the truth in interviews :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
abridged
Slight Overbomber

There was talk of a covers ep, the main track being Knocking on Heaven's Door, at some stage I believe.
The Chancer Corporation