RIP the walkman

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
User avatar
Pista
Cureboi
Posts: 14596
Joined: 25 Jun 2006, 15:03
Location: Lost In A Forest
Contact:

Sony Walkman (Senior) has reached the end of side two. Its batteries have run out. The rewind button is broken.
Sony announce the end of the line for the iconic walkman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11618899

Image
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock
Posts: 5895
Joined: 17 Sep 2005, 10:47

amongst many other i had one Walkman, small, well designed, good.
go rest ya plastic. :notworthy:
User avatar
Carpathian Psychonaut
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 902
Joined: 21 Aug 2004, 19:18
Location: Faaaar beyond the black horizon (Gateshead)

I'm surprised nobody has released an all-singing-and-dancing MP3 player in a body shell styled like an old chunky Walkman yet.

With all the retro gear people seem to lap up they'd make a mint for what would be pretty cheap to make.
.
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
.
User avatar
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian
Posts: 8836
Joined: 29 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: Long Dark Forties
Contact:

Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:I'm surprised nobody has released an all-singing-and-dancing MP3 player in a body shell styled like an old chunky Walkman yet.

With all the retro gear people seem to lap up they'd make a mint for what would be pretty cheap to make.
Eh? ;D

IZ.
.
.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
.
.
User avatar
Pista
Cureboi
Posts: 14596
Joined: 25 Jun 2006, 15:03
Location: Lost In A Forest
Contact:

$70? :eek:

& that colour!!!!

:urff:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
User avatar
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm
Posts: 4489
Joined: 04 Jan 2005, 17:08
Location: Newcastle

I had an industry knock off that was the same shape, colour and weight of an aircraft's black box. I swear I could drop it under a bus and it wouldn't even notice.

You don't get that kind of sturdiness out of today's new-fangled MP3 players. Mind, you can now actually get them in pockets, etc.

Rest In Piece.
User avatar
Maisey
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1870
Joined: 28 Jun 2006, 20:19
Location: Moving like a Parallelogram

These things will always be kept alive by the purists (nutters).

I got a "new" walkman just the other day as it happens.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
User avatar
markfiend
goriller of form 3b
Posts: 20434
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 10:55
Location: st custards
Contact:

Reports of the death of the cassette are greatly exaggerated. For instance, I understand that the Plod still use them for recording interviews. They're cheap, reliable, and not prone to easy tampering.

I even believe that you can still get 1/4" reel-to-reel tape.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
User avatar
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 894
Joined: 29 Jan 2010, 15:45

Izzy HaveMercy wrote: Eh? ;D

IZ.
It's not chunky enough!!! :lol:
User avatar
Carpathian Psychonaut
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 902
Joined: 21 Aug 2004, 19:18
Location: Faaaar beyond the black horizon (Gateshead)

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:I'm surprised nobody has released an all-singing-and-dancing MP3 player in a body shell styled like an old chunky Walkman yet.

With all the retro gear people seem to lap up they'd make a mint for what would be pretty cheap to make.
Eh? ;D

IZ.
I thought it was a good idea!

I also thought it far too late it seems ;D
.
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker
Posts: 4522
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 01:00

still better than my mobile CD player though. Now they were carp
post edited to ensure GDPR compliance
User avatar
EvilBastard
Overbomber
Posts: 3836
Joined: 01 Feb 2006, 17:48
Location: Where the Ruined Tower shouts

Funny-looking video...
30 years from now MP3 players will be as quirky as the Walkman. You read it here first. ;D
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
User avatar
JansenClone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 668
Joined: 14 Mar 2003, 21:51
Location: Pudsey, Leeds

markfiend wrote:Reports of the death of the cassette are greatly exaggerated. For instance, I understand that the Plod still use them for recording interviews. They're cheap, reliable, and not prone to easy tampering.

I even believe that you can still get 1/4" reel-to-reel tape.
Joyce's grandad, who's registered blind, gets his talking books on cassettes. Books on any medium needing a digital display would be pointless.
I am a Leeds United fan because I was very naughty in a previous life.
User avatar
radiojamaica
Overbomber
Posts: 4852
Joined: 11 Apr 2005, 16:51
Location: Tower of Bass

I just love tapes... they're the most sympathetic media. Sleep well, dear walkmen :notworthy:
in dub we trust
User avatar
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1536
Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 08:12
Location: set adrift
Contact:

All i can say is sometimes i wish some people still tried making analogue recordings.. i daresay the best quality Sisters bootleg isn't DAT, it's analogue, probably Walkman.

Not that i suffer from being sentimental about them.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
_emma_
Overbomber
Posts: 2015
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 10:19

One of my two best friends in my early teenage years. The other was the black cat whom I rescued from the cellar. :notworthy: :| Time flies, things change. RIP
User avatar
LouLou
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1076
Joined: 22 Dec 2006, 19:47
Location: "65"

did anyone else rewind/ff their cassettes by sticking a pencil in one of the reel holes and spinning crap out of the bastards?

i ruined many a cassette in the process. seeing as i carried on undeterred, i obviously thought it was a small price to pay for extending battery life :lol:
_emma_
Overbomber
Posts: 2015
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 10:19

Yes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian
Posts: 8836
Joined: 29 Jan 2002, 00:00
Location: Long Dark Forties
Contact:

Of course! :lol:

IZ.
.
.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
.
.
User avatar
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm
Posts: 4489
Joined: 04 Jan 2005, 17:08
Location: Newcastle

paint it black wrote:still better than my mobile CD player though. Now they were carp
Christ yes, the only way to prevent skipping was to never move the damn thing. Mobile my entire arssse.
User avatar
mh
Underneath the Rock
Posts: 7486
Joined: 23 Jun 2003, 14:41
Location: A civilized European city

LouLou wrote:did anyone else rewind/ff their cassettes by sticking a pencil in one of the reel holes and spinning crap out of the bastards?

i ruined many a cassette in the process. seeing as i carried on undeterred, i obviously thought it was a small price to pay for extending battery life :lol:
Did anyone not? :lol:

Still have the last walkman I ever bought somewhere, I'm gonna dig it out and keep it in the attic now. Be worth a fortune in 20 years time. ;D
Trigonometry. It's a sin.
User avatar
LouLou
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1076
Joined: 22 Dec 2006, 19:47
Location: "65"

i think i also have one of my later walkmans still lurking around somewhere. it was a panasonic and it actually CHANGED DIRECTION OF PLAYBACK!!! :eek: :notworthy:

i was chuffed to bits when i first got it.

*sigh*
User avatar
EvilBastard
Overbomber
Posts: 3836
Joined: 01 Feb 2006, 17:48
Location: Where the Ruined Tower shouts

LouLou wrote:i think i also have one of my later walkmans still lurking around somewhere. it was a panasonic and it actually CHANGED DIRECTION OF PLAYBACK!!! :eek: :notworthy:

i was chuffed to bits when i first got it.

*sigh*
Oooooooo, auto-reverse - very flash! I had one of those - IIRC it died somewhat mysteriously as the result of being dropped off a hotel balcony into a swimming pool. :lol:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
User avatar
LouLou
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1076
Joined: 22 Dec 2006, 19:47
Location: "65"

a honourable death, if i may say so.

if you're an ipod whose cause of death is falling off a jeans back pocket and drowning in a lavatory pan, it's quite an enviable one too.

:oops: :innocent:
User avatar
mh
Underneath the Rock
Posts: 7486
Joined: 23 Jun 2003, 14:41
Location: A civilized European city

Auto-reverse used to chew my cassettes to pieces. :evil:
Trigonometry. It's a sin.
Post Reply