The Bread Thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
Charlie wrote:
Now crumpets however, they do need a good crispy burnt top, they can take it, as you've still got that squidgy middle.
Crumpets! *drool*
I can't buy those in Hungary so I have to make my own.
My custom title on TheCureCommunity
'Crumpet boy' :lol: Sounds like something from a Carry On film!

But really? - no crumpets in Hungary?! :eek:

The world needs to send crumpet aid over there, they are missing out!
Pista
Cureboi

Charlie wrote: But really? - no crumpets in Hungary?! :eek:

The world needs to send crumpet aid over there, they are missing out!
They're easy enough to make. I even make my own bread from time to time....& then burn it in the toaster ;D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
They're easy enough to make. I even make my own bread from time to time....& then burn it in the toaster ;D
You create it and then you cremate it - the circle of life in your kitchen :lol:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Pista wrote:Pretty sure F.U.C.T. will have some input at some stage.
Well they would, were it not for the Tea n'Toast Treaty of 1597 which brought to an end more than 200 years of religious genocide between FUCT and FuCT (Freiheit für unser Charred Toast) over whose doctrine held sway in the kitchens of christendom. The treaty provides demarcation in order to keep the peace - FUCT rules over the kettle (electric and stove-top, incidentally), teapot, mugs, cups, tea (loose and bag), teaspoons, and issues fatwas governing the correct sequence of the tea-making process. FuCT's dominion extends to all bread and bread-related products (teacakes, scones, pikelets, muffins, crumpets, farls etc.) regardless of whether these are of the traditional wheat flour type or not, sideplates, knives, spreads (jams, curds, marmites, butters, marmalades), and in some cases clotted creams) and the correct order of application of same to the bread.

You will need to refer to FuCT edict 52-58935 to determine whether your toast-making contravenes scripture, but speaking for myself it's a 3 if you're making a club-type sammidge and 4 when you're going for toast and spread. I honestly don't know what the FUCT a 6 is - presumably this is only for when the bread has died and you're cremating it? And the only suitable conveyance for bacon (and indeed sausage) is the cheapest white bread available, untoasted - why? Because untoasted bread will absorb the fat from the bacon/sossidge, while toast will not, resulting in the grease dripping down your shirt. Simples.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Pista
Cureboi

:lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

correct.
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
iesus
Overbomber

Charlie wrote:
Pista wrote:
You create it and then you cremate it - the circle of life in your kitchen :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy: ;D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Charlie wrote: Now crumpets however, they do need a good crispy burnt top, they can take it, as you've still got that squidgy middle.
Absolutely correct.

Same with Bagels. :wink:
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
EvilBastard
Overbomber

splintered thing wrote:
Charlie wrote: Now crumpets however, they do need a good crispy burnt top, they can take it, as you've still got that squidgy middle.
Absolutely correct.

Now, while it is true that I am not a member of FuCT, the two organisations do have an agreement whereby if a member of one sees someone transgressing the tenets of the other then they are encouraged to wade in and set things right.

So, young feller-me-lad, if you're toasting bagels I should warn you that FuCT's more militant members may appear on your doorstep with a cunningly-contrived Breville with toasting trays that are precisely the same size and shape as your clockweights. I think you get the ideas.
Hank Moody
abridged
Slight Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:
splintered thing wrote:
Absolutely correct.

Now, while it is true that I am not a member of FuCT, the two organisations do have an agreement whereby if a member of one sees someone transgressing the tenets of the other then they are encouraged to wade in and set things right.

So, young feller-me-lad, if you're toasting bagels I should warn you that FuCT's more militant members may appear on your doorstep with a cunningly-contrived Breville with toasting trays that are precisely the same size and shape as your clockweights. I think you get the ideas.
Of course we all know that the greatest heresy (apart from dunking) in the bread or biscuit world is using teabags and/or putting milk in tea. I have a brother of sorts in Torqteamada. Ahem.
The Chancer Corporation
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Charlie wrote:
Pista wrote:
streamline wrote:4 or 5 but an occasional 6 isn't unusual
I actually enjoy it burnt. But the butter needs to be soft or it shatters when spreading.
:eek:
I couldn't eat burnt toast like that, might as well mix coal dust with butter and eat that. :lol:

Now crumpets however, they do need a good crispy burnt top, they can take it, as you've still got that squidgy middle.
Crumpets are simply wonderful, I have been known to cane a pack in one sitting.
As for toast if processed bread then brown and quite dark, under fried eggs no spread but HP on top.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
iesus
Overbomber

I confess, i confess i always drink tea with teabags, never learned other way to do it :( :cry: :cry:
None teached me otherwise :?
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
Swinnow
Overbomber

Yorkshire Tea in teabag form here I'm afraid.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Pista
Cureboi

& how about Yorkshire Bread?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
iesus
Overbomber

This sounds like a bread that can be dunked in yorkshire tea :lol:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
Tinker
Road Kill

A workmate of my dad's used to dunk his chip butties in his tea, leaving a vinegar and oil slick on the surface. But he was a very strange man.
Monstrous hell bride.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

crumpets.
before toasting cut a slit in the edge, to about half way, like a pitta. after toasting, insert butter.
Pista
Cureboi

emilystrange wrote:crumpets.
before toasting cut a slit in the edge, to about half way, like a pitta. after toasting, insert butter.
That's cheating.
Piping hot out of the toaster/ grill > knob of butter on top > brief wait > insert in gob.

:D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
EvilBastard
Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:crumpets.
Could you insert something like peanut butter before toasting so you got a lovely warm gooey centre? It would be like biting into a fresh jam donut (except with peanut butter, and I suspect that if you put jam in there it would achieve plasma-like qualities).
Hank Moody
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

[quote="So, young feller-me-lad, if you're toasting bagels I should warn you that FuCT's more militant members may appear on your doorstep with a cunningly-contrived Breville with toasting trays that are precisely the same size and shape as your clockweights. I think you get the ideas.[/quote]

Ahem...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagel_toast

This mrs likes a toasted bagel and consider it sanctioned by them wot made em. :lol:
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
EvilBastard
Overbomber

splintered thing wrote: Ahem...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagel_toast

This mrs likes a toasted bagel and consider it sanctioned by them wot made em. :lol:
I'll see your "ahem" and I'll raise an Oi! You with the face!

Also Toasting a good bagel is bastardizing a beautiful thing.
Hank Moody
Pista
Cureboi

Although some may disagree with that
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
Although some may disagree with that
"Howdy-doodly-doo!" :lol:
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

peanut butter insertion may knacker your toaster.
oi! putting the butter inside reduces the wait time AND increases the butter amount.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:peanut butter insertion may knacker your toaster.
oi! putting the butter inside reduces the wait time AND increases the butter amount.
Well, knackering your toaster is certainly better than toasting your knackers.

But if you only make a small incision in the crumpet, and then wiggle the knife about inside so you create a little pocket, carefully insert the peanut butter and make sure you put the crumpet in incision-side up, it should be ok, right?

I may have put way too much thought into this, but I'm totally willing to risk my toaster to try it. Now, where did I put those crumpets...?
Hank Moody