Mental Health

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

Perhaps I'm one of the lucky few who never really suffers from depression or other complex issues relating to mental health problems.

Cut a long story short. I have a friend I've known for yrs and she had such a normal, happy life before she had a breakdown at twenty.

From a lovely family and a very talented pianist and dressmaker and from a family of music and drama.

It just goes to show one bad episode in your life can tip you over the edge. I find the mind is very complex. She has been on medication for bipolar for over 30 yrs and I have never seen her so bad like I have just recently. She is hospitalised and today there has been a positive breakthrough and she is much better.

I do think mental Health has improved, compared to years ago when people were locked away in asylum's and a few never came out of these dreadful Victorian places. It's surprising how many people were sectioned for trivia that could've been sorted out with proper supervised medication and councilling.

Today as a society we have more than previous generations, but all you seem to read or hear is how many people today have depression and other mental health problems? Is it because these day's everything is out in the open, compared to day's gone by?

I personally don't suffer from this dreadful illness and I have more sympathy than I used to have because I've seen what this crippling illness does to others. It robs you of the joys of life.

I think people should be more understanding, rather than critical because it can happen to anyone at any stage of their life!

Be kind ..
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I hope there are brighter days ahead for your friend x
Swinnow
Overbomber

I was more than pleased to hear things had taken a turn for the better. x
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

Thankyou. My friend is much better. Thank Goodness
Pista
Cureboi

elamanamou wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 20:11 Thankyou. My friend is much better. Thank Goodness
That's good to hear.
As long as they have friends like you I'm sure things will improve even more.
Hugs to her from Magyarorszag. :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

Pista wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 20:39 Hugs to her from Magyarorszag. :)
Please don't attempt that one after a few Gins with SmileySister, Microcosmia and EPWB. :lol:
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Mini PiB has a multiagency support package, which is exactly what she needs. I don't fully understand why she gets sad, but I do know that having mental health folk who talk to physical health folk who talk to medical practitioners is much better for her than sitting in her room.

Pressures brought about by the pace of life I guess. Adrenaline suits some more than others.

In my real grown up life, I'm designing no fixed abode pathways, and that's all about tailoring services to need, rather than forcing folk to meet that need.

Btw, that's the last grown-up post from me on HL.

Yeah, the three witches are very huggy. Yuck!
Goths have feelings too
EvilBastard
Overbomber

That's key, I think - having a team of people who can get an understanding of the individual's condition, rather than adopting a "well, this dosage of this drug works for those people, so it will work for you" approach. I was reading something a while ago where there was an effort to understand the causes of depression, or rather, the actual thing (chemical imbalance, in some instances) that results in the symptoms. They'd done some work where they could tie particular things to brain activity - not "reading a book will make you happy" but "reading a book, in your specific instance, triggers activity which results in release of a chemical, the lack of which depresses you." It was interesting stuff - I don't know if the study was continued, but giving people the tools to manage their condition, rather than saying "Take a bunch of pills and call me if it doesn't help", seems like a step in the right direction.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

EvilBastard wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 19:00 That's key, I think - having a team of people who can get an understanding of the individual's condition, rather than adopting a "well, this dosage of this drug works for those people, so it will work for you" approach. I was reading something a while ago where there was an effort to understand the causes of depression, or rather, the actual thing (chemical imbalance, in some instances) that results in the symptoms. They'd done some work where they could tie particular things to brain activity - not "reading a book will make you happy" but "reading a book, in your specific instance, triggers activity which results in release of a chemical, the lack of which depresses you." It was interesting stuff - I don't know if the study was continued, but giving people the tools to manage their condition, rather than saying "Take a bunch of pills and call me if it doesn't help", seems like a step in the right direction.
I was once told after a particularly bad psychological evaluation that maybe I should consider reading different books, for some reason this made me even more depressed, and quite angry at the same time.
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
Being645
Above the Chemist

zaltys7 wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 23:12
EvilBastard wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 19:00 That's key, I think - having a team of people who can get an understanding of the individual's condition, rather than adopting a "well, this dosage of this drug works for those people, so it will work for you" approach. I was reading something a while ago where there was an effort to understand the causes of depression, or rather, the actual thing (chemical imbalance, in some instances) that results in the symptoms. They'd done some work where they could tie particular things to brain activity - not "reading a book will make you happy" but "reading a book, in your specific instance, triggers activity which results in release of a chemical, the lack of which depresses you." It was interesting stuff - I don't know if the study was continued, but giving people the tools to manage their condition, rather than saying "Take a bunch of pills and call me if it doesn't help", seems like a step in the right direction.
I was once told after a particularly bad psychological evaluation that maybe I should consider reading different books, for some reason this made me even more depressed, and quite angry at the same time.
Who would not. A suggestion as that, just in one sentence, is no better than prescribing a few meds to get the brain into cloud condition ... no relation, no empathy, no helping hand ... just another client fed ... phh. Sorry to hear you were treated like that. Unfortunately, there are plenty so-called therapists of that sort. And worse. Good luck and best wishes from here to everyone in need of some real support.
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @CalebFinley and welcome to :hl:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Welcome to HL, CalebFinley ... :D ...

In a way, you're surely right.
An effective dose of meds is of course better than a golden shot ... in the long run, however, real support is needed to enable people to help themselves again by various (non-pharmaceutical) means and measures where ever possible. On the other hand, where the system - out of austerity - just can't deliver, everybody has to do with what is on offer for them. Though knowing it's the same for all might help a bit ... and for sure, even under the worst circumstances, there are still at least some therapists uprightly and joyfully committed to their Hippocratic oath ... :wink: ...
sultan2075
Overbomber

CalebFinley wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 01:26 ..........some waffle as a pre-amble to an online drug store....
Hah! I knew it when I saw the first post.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Pista
Cureboi

sultan2075 wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 01:41
CalebFinley wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 01:26 ..........some waffle as a pre-amble to an online drug store....
Hah! I knew it when I saw the first post.
Had a sneaking suspicion.
Goodbye CalebFinley.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

JuneAyala wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 21:14 Tell me, on what basis were you declared mentally disabled?
Well, would you look at that!

Bye bye
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity