This Corrosion - All versions?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Gaijin
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Together with a couple of other collectors I have been checking the various versions that proliferate.

There are a great number of 'versions' that are faded early on most releases and it is not my intention to include them here - but feel free to add your voice (if you'd like).

Sorted by running time these are the actual unique versions, as far as I can tell, with their earliest official Merciful Release #:

11'22 - "The Full Horror" (*) from MR39CD
11'22 - unavailable (partial from bootleg source as "College Radio Mix")
08'52 - EDIT #1 - MR39T - but a longer version on HD Collection.
05'24 - EDIT #2 - MR39C - Unlisted Steinman edit
04'29 - EDIT #3 - MR39 - 7" Version (the most commonly used SISTERS track on compilations is available in at least 3 different BPM's)
04'16 - EDIT #3.5 - SHOT - 7" SFX Version
04'04 - EDIT #4 - SAM389/MR39C - Edit for Club DJ's (aka 'Black Label Promo Mix')
03'59 - EDIT #4.5 - SAM388/MR39DJ - Edit for Radio Dj's

Notice that I include no versions from the Floodland releases - all those versions are fades of MR39CD. ASCOB also features a fade

The so-called 'College Radio Mix' has 2 short vocal samples not included on the UK CDS, but is otherwise identical it would seem.

Most other mixes will be familiar to everyone but the version I most recently managed to track to a 1987 MR release is the Aside of SAM388. Only it's matrix lists it as MR39DJ. It is the version found on 'Nocturnal', and other places.

The demos were never for sale or promo'd - though the version shared by Carl Harrison might just sneak in. It is 'available' unofficially and in sufficiently good quality to make the grade. It's also the only version that is actually different ie, not just an edit - so there's that too.

The 'Spiral Tribe' mix has, AFAIK, been debunked as fake.

There are TV performances too, however they were for the most part mimed, or at best had a live vocal over backing tape.

(*) - a jest.

Thanks to JF, PL & Pervolator for the rares. :notworthy:
"All God's children give good phone,
I called Jesus He's not home... "
Being645
Above the Chemist

Can't contribute anything to that, but it's very interesting ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

is there a version where the "hey! now! hey now now!"s are sung as "hey nonny now-nonny hey nonny no" to a madrigal backtrack with green sleeved minstrels a-wooing the fair damsels? thought not... :twisted: :innocent:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Swinnow
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:is there a version where the "hey! now! hey now now!"s are sung as "hey nonny now-nonny hey nonny no" to a madrigal backtrack with green sleeved minstrels a-wooing the fair damsels? thought not... :twisted: :innocent:
:lol:

Now that would be most righteous.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
BillyBadBreaks(Again!)
Road Kill

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:is there a version where the "hey! now! hey now now!"s are sung as "hey nonny now-nonny hey nonny no" to a madrigal backtrack with green sleeved minstrels a-wooing the fair damsels? thought not... :twisted: :innocent:
:lol: :lol: :bat:
XidiouX
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

:lol: There's definitely a more than a bit of Blackadder in Eldritch.

Meanwhile....

This Corona is sweeping the globe right now. Quite an infectious little number.

"Hey now, hey now now (cough, cough) sing This Corona to me"
Dan
Overbomber

https://sisterswiki.org/This_Corrosion_(single)
As we have been confirmed through thorough research from the fanbase, the release date for the UK issues was definitely September 14th, 1987.
That's wrong. (I made notes in a diary at the time.)

(I'll copy & paste what I just wrote on the facebook group)

In the UK - on 21 Sept 87 the 7", 12" & cassette was released. On 30 Sept 87 the 7" box set & CD was released, a Wednesday, which is unusual for record releases.

Only 3 shops in Leeds were allocated the box sets and cd singles (If I remember correctly - Jumbo, HMV & Crash). Each of those shops received 20 box sets and 3 CD singles. Jumbo was my first stop where I bought the box set. They said they had no CD's left. Crash told me that 3 members of staff had bought their 3 copies. HMV told me that 2 members of staff had bought 2 copies, and the 3rd copy had been put out on display and had been bought immediately. I went back to Jumbo and asked again, and the staff members went off into a little huddle and came back and decided to sell me one.

I was told that 5000 of the 7" box sets were made. Using the 20 & 3 allocation you could extrapolate that there were 750 CD singles. 500 is the usual figure that gets quoted but I don't know where that came from. Maybe some shops received box sets but no cd's?
Being645
Above the Chemist

Noted ... :) ... Thank You! ... :notworthy: ...
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Wait. Are you saying the original CD single is rare? If so I'll have to get to my mates houses and hoover them up 😂
Goths have feelings too
Dan
Overbomber

paint it black wrote: 27 Oct 2020, 19:48 Wait. Are you saying the original CD single is rare? If so I'll have to get to my mates houses and hoover them up 😂
Yeah. I suppose the existence of the German version has devalued it, but completists would still want the original, I guess.

Oh and on the wiki, the record number is given as MR 039 etc. It's just MR 39, there's no 0.

There was also a This Corrosion t-shirt which had the number MR 39TS, so since it has a number maybe that should go on the discography too? I don't suppose very many were made. I saw one once at a record fair and I saw a photo of one on facebook last year sometime. No idea of the 'release date' though.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Two of my mates have the t-shirt, bag combo
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Above the Chemist

A photo of that shirt were cool ... :) ... never seen it so far.
ruffers
Overbomber

I have photos but I never worked out how to attach on this forum. Can send over?
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Being645
Above the Chemist

Yes please ... :D :notworthy: ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

Image ... Here it is. With many thanks to ruffers ! ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

Image . . . Image
ruffers
Overbomber

My pleasure, just need to lose a few kilos so I can actually wear it.....
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow