Mister Whammy's Amp!?!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
DaveyT
Road Kill

Hi folks, long-time Sisters fan here.

Just noticed this Hiwatt amp for sale. Looks like it actually is from Adam Pearson, AKA The Legendary Mister Whammy. Rawk! Had to share...

https://reverb.com/item/55524247-hiwatt ... -power-amp
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

checks out here: http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/tech/g ... uitars.htm
I like amps. Even though they've made my ears/brain whine permanently. To what's left of my ears, valve amps sound best at full power amp volume. Pardon? Occupational hazard. Ear plugs aren't very cool at 18. They're still not, but I don't give a f**k now. Hearing is a good thing.

Mister Whammy's live rig. Reengineered Soldano preamp and Hiwatt stereo power amp. Prowls, growls, and howls. The Hiwatt is a custom job by Steve Gibbs (of the Audio Brothers), one of Britain's finest valve amp makers and a good guy who services and mods most of my stuff. Two 50 watt Hiwatt power amps in a 4U box. My baby.

[...]

Hiwatt 50 watt 2 x 12" combo by Steve Gibbs. Loaded with Celestion speakers. A beaut.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @DaveyT & welcome to :hl: :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

DaveyT wrote: 26 May 2022, 13:23 Hi folks, long-time Sisters fan here.

Just noticed this Hiwatt amp for sale. Looks like it actually is from Adam Pearson, AKA The Legendary Mister Whammy. Rawk! Had to share...

https://reverb.com/item/55524247-hiwatt ... -power-amp
What a find :notworthy:
If I had this kind of money I'd buy it rn, an absolute piece of history
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

very nice find! trying to resist the temptation to message seller & be a nuisance
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

alanm wrote: 26 May 2022, 14:23 checks out here: http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/tech/g ... uitars.htm
I would love to know how he could go so heavy on the whammy bar yet stay in tune. I'd love to be able to do it, but any guitar with a whammy bar that I've ever played go out of tune quickly.
Husek

Yggdrasil wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 21:29
alanm wrote: 26 May 2022, 14:23 checks out here: http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/tech/g ... uitars.htm
I would love to know how he could go so heavy on the whammy bar yet stay in tune. I'd love to be able to do it, but any guitar with a whammy bar that I've ever played go out of tune quickly.
Fender's two-point Trems are very very reliable, moreover, if you combine them with locking tuners and some graphite on the nut you are golden, if memory serves me well, that's what Ben uses on his strat as well.
Project Personal Dok
czuczu
Overbomber

Also, he didn't use it as much as his name suggests ;)
Yggdrasil

Husek wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 21:53
Fender's two-point Trems are very very reliable, moreover, if you combine them with locking tuners and some graphite on the nut you are golden, if memory serves me well, that's what Ben uses on his strat as well.
Thanks for the tip! So that's not a Floyd Rose? The last guitar I had with a whammy was a Floyd Rose Schecter Demon with locking tuners, but that went out of tune just by my looking at it...
Yggdrasil

czuczu wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 09:21 Also, he didn't use it as much as his name suggests ;)
Well I'd say he did use it heavily, but mainly for intros and outros, where he really went to town with it.

I'm not complaining, I think he played brilliantly and I loved the way he used the whammy bar.
Husek

Yggdrasil wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 22:22
Thanks for the tip! So that's not a Floyd Rose? The last guitar I had with a whammy was a Floyd Rose Schecter Demon with locking tuners, but that went out of tune just by my looking at it...
Not a floyd rose at all, it's a standard two-point trem, found on all American fenders from mid 00s.

Now, if you really really like floyd roses (they do have a different feel when compared to fender's trem system), it is possible to keep it in tune, but it takes a lot of time and money to do so, here's the tl;dr to keep a floyd rose in tune:

1) Get rid of your OEM floyd rose, and buy a brand new one, I have nothing but bad experiences with OEM floyd roses
2) When you do get a new one, make sure to pick the `original` series, the special series and other budget-friendly options they all look similar, but you can really see why they are 60% cheaper.
3) As I said, locking tuners is a must
4) Locking nut set from Floyd Rose, those aren't expensive, and yet I find a lot of guitars being sold with floyd roses don't even have locking nut, or they just put generic ones, and those are big to keep the tuning.
5) once you have all that set, make sure you have intonation and action correct, high action usually makes it easier to go out of tune
6) get yourself a new set of strings, play with it, do some dive bombs, you know the whole Mr whammy shenanigans, for a good week, playing at least a couple of hours a day, so the strings can find their sweet spot.

From there you will be gtg.

side notes:
Tems are finicky and even the best trem system in the world will cause some detuning, 12 string guitars are also notoriously finick and can easily go out of tune, and that's way it's easier finding an unicorn in the field than a 12-stringer with a trem
Project Personal Dok
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Husek wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 14:37 side notes:
Tems are finicky and even the best trem system in the world will cause some detuning, 12 string guitars are also notoriously finick and can easily go out of tune, and that's way it's easier finding an unicorn in the field than a 12-stringer with a trem
Oof. I can't imagine what a 12-string with a trem would be like! The ones without are enough of a bastard to keep in tune as it is :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Yggdrasil

Husek wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 14:37 (...) From there you will be gtg.
Thank you for the great advice!

Having had nothing but bad experiences with Floyd Rose trems, I can't say I prefer or like them — I just want a functioning trem. I do like Fenders in general though. Do you know how good the Squiers are in terms of trems? They seem to be good value in all other respects (thinking of getting a new guitar — which comes with a good trem!), so I can divebomb all day (and all of the night).
Husek

Yggdrasil wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 21:24
Husek wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 14:37 (...) From there you will be gtg.
Thank you for the great advice!

Having had nothing but bad experiences with Floyd Rose trems, I can't say I prefer or like them — I just want a functioning trem. I do like Fenders in general though. Do you know how good the Squiers are in terms of trems? They seem to be good value in all other respects (thinking of getting a new guitar — which comes with a good trem!), so I can divebomb all day (and all of the night).
they aren't great, squiers will go out of tune for sure, if you want to dive bomb with a Squier, you will have to replace the bridge for a better one, with a beefy tremolo block, roller nuts might be a good idea too, and also get some graphitec string trees, and ofc, locking tuners.
I know, it sucks, turns out there's a massive financial gatekeeping in the land of having a guitar with reliable trems.

Alternatively you just say 'f**k it' and get yourself something with a bigsby/vibrola, afaik they are less finicky, but you can't divebomb that hard either
Project Personal Dok
Yggdrasil

Husek wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 00:41 they aren't great, squiers will go out of tune for sure, if you want to dive bomb with a Squier, you will have to replace the bridge for a better one, with a beefy tremolo block, roller nuts might be a good idea too, and also get some graphitec string trees, and ofc, locking tuners.
I know, it sucks, turns out there's a massive financial gatekeeping in the land of having a guitar with reliable trems.

Alternatively you just say 'f**k it' and get yourself something with a bigsby/vibrola, afaik they are less finicky, but you can't divebomb that hard either

I knew there was a catch...

I guess I'll just have to wait until I can afford to divebomb with the big boys.
DasPerltAber

Husek wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 14:37
Not a floyd rose at all, it's a standard two-point trem, found on all American fenders from mid 00s.

Now, if you really really like floyd roses (they do have a different feel when compared to fender's trem system), it is possible to keep it in tune, but it takes a lot of time and money to do so, here's the tl;dr to keep a floyd rose in tune:

1) Get rid of your OEM floyd rose, and buy a brand new one, I have nothing but bad experiences with OEM floyd roses
2) When you do get a new one, make sure to pick the `original` series, the special series and other budget-friendly options they all look similar, but you can really see why they are 60% cheaper.
4) Locking nut set from Floyd Rose, those aren't expensive, and yet I find a lot of guitars being sold with floyd roses don't even have locking nut, or they just put generic ones, and those are big to keep the tuning.
5) once you have all that set, make sure you have intonation and action correct, high action usually makes it easier to go out of tune
6) get yourself a new set of strings, play with it, do some dive bombs, you know the whole Mr whammy shenanigans, for a good week, playing at least a couple of hours a day, so the strings can find their sweet spot.

side notes:
Okay...there are at least 10 statements or assumptions in this post that a simply incorrect. I own a hell of a lot of guitars that are either equipped with either Floyd's/Kahlers/Ibanez systems and the statements being made here simply make no sense. Floyds take some getting used to but that's about it. I set up a floyd/equivalent system at least twice a month and this is just bollocks.
Husek

DasPerltAber wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 04:16
Husek wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 14:37

side notes:
Okay...there are at least 10 statements or assumptions in this post that a simply incorrect. I own a hell of a lot of guitars that are either equipped with either Floyd's/Kahlers/Ibanez systems and the statements being made here simply make no sense. Floyds take some getting used to but that's about it. I set up a floyd/equivalent system at least twice a month and this is just bollocks.
I do have good experiences with ibanez and kahlers, in fact my iceman originally came with a trem system, it was pretty ok.

That said all I mentioned before is my experience with Floyd roses, and how much money I had to throw at the guitar to make it hold tune
Project Personal Dok
ReptileHause
Road Kill

Yggdrasil wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 22:26
czuczu wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 09:21 Also, he didn't use it as much as his name suggests ;)
Well I'd say he did use it heavily, but mainly for intros and outros, where he really went to town with it.

I'm not complaining, I think he played brilliantly and I loved the way he used the whammy bar.
I absolutely loved the live sound during Mr Whammy's tenure precisely for those howling intro/outros!
Yggdrasil

ReptileHause wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 16:24 I absolutely loved the live sound during Mr Whammy's tenure precisely for those howling intro/outros!
Me too, it was majestic and generally awesome!

We need more whammy!