How would the unreleased songs fare as a NEW ALBUM?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

centurionofprix wrote:
playboy wrote: Only one problem....
Andrew has told me that he won´t, if he release a new record, include songs written by past members.
So we can forget Top Nite Out (well, at least the instrumental one we have heard on concerts, however Andrew has written another one with the same title, including lyrics....) as it is written by Adam Pearson.
And we can forget Crash And Burn, Summer, Slept and Come Together as the music is written by Adam.
And we can forget Will I Dream as it is written by Andrew, Adam and Srdjan Miodgragovic (also calls himself Mike Varjak).
And we can forget Susanne as the music is written by Srdjan.

Remaining songs are: Arms and Still......

So in order to release a new album ever they have to write some more songs and not change members so they have to start over all again......
When did he say that, if you don't mind the asking? I thought the bottleneck was previously Pearson's refusal to have his songs released online (perhaps for reasons somewhat touched upon here) but now Eldritch doesn't want to release the old stuff? Any idea why?
He told me two years ago, when they were in Sweden. I don´t know why. But I can understand him. Andrew is kind of living in present time and not in the past. And music and maybe even more so lyrics must have a meaning to Andrew he also once said, and if he cannot breathe meaning in the singing and give the songs a life there is no point recording them.
And giving some of the songs are 13 years old I see his point.

And why not to record stuff written by a non-member seems to be part of the fact that he wants a possible new record to be more updated and a work within the band as they have been in the band and become more involved in todays Sisters as they first believed. Kind of respect for the new guys. They are active band members now and not second hand players recording tons of songs written by ex-members.
So, Andrew has got a few reasons not to record the "olders" songs. And I think he is doing right for not to.
lachert
Overbomber

yeah, i even don't want new album with old songs. it make no sense. they can appear on b-sides or anywhere but not on new album. i want new album with new tunes and maybe 2-3 tracks well known from last 2 years of giging. new album with "come together" will be pity as hell. if someday Von will have enough courage to write and put out new album i hope they will be completely new ones, better or worse. hope he will fight his big scary monster of nonacceptance and embarrassment. don't be affraid Andrew, just walk on in :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
James Blast
Banned

"It's all such a dreary fiction..."
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
playboy

lachert wrote:yeah, i even don't want new album with old songs. it make no sense. they can appear on b-sides or anywhere but not on new album. i want new album with new tunes and maybe 2-3 tracks well known from last 2 years of giging. new album with "come together" will be pity as hell. if someday Von will have enough courage to write and put out new album i hope they will be completely new ones, better or worse. hope he will fight his big scary monster of nonacceptance and embarrassment. don't be affraid Andrew, just walk on in :lol:
I agree. Two, MAYBE three (but that´s the limit) songs familiar to some of us from the shows. And the rest all new unheard songs. One of the exitements with a new album is that is is....new....... So exciting to bring home the cd from the record store (or elsewhere....) and look at the new titles and hurry home to play it over and over and over....
A cd with titles like Come Together, Romeo Down, Crash+Burn, Still, Slept etc would not make my heart beat faster...... What´s new about that? Except for better sounds on old songs I have heard a thousand times before.....
James Blast
Banned

Not true.
We all want to hear what those songs sound like in a fully realised studio version. We have some nice boots but nothing close to full potential even if I will be skipping over 'Slept'.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
playboy

James Blast wrote:Not true.
We all want to hear what those songs sound like in a fully realised studio version. We have some nice boots but nothing close to full potential even if I will be skipping over 'Slept'.
We all want? Well.... I don´t so "We all are..." are wrong.... and who are "we all" and how many are "we all"?
I find it hard to believe that Andrew would make an album with up to 13 years old songs so that "we all" can hear them in studio versions.

Anyhow, it´s just a matter of opinion. Some would like old songs. Some won´t. And the one who is in position to deliver a new album, Andrew, does not want old songs there. As said before, he refuses to put words written that long ago on a brand new Sisters album. Understandable.
sultan2075
Overbomber

playboy wrote: I find it hard to believe that Andrew would make an album
Fixed this for you :innocent:
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
James Blast
Banned

@playboy

you're a mentalist
~ Peter Steele
playboy

James Blast wrote:@playboy

you're a mentalist
Maybe Andrew was drunk when he told me about his refusal to record songs written by non-members. Maybe he didn´t know what he was saying. But that´s not for me to decide. I only recite him.
playboy

sultan2075 wrote:
playboy wrote: I find it hard to believe that Andrew would make an album
Fixed this for you :innocent:
javascript:emoticon('8)')
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

They should just record 10 of the "old" new songs and 10 "new" new songs and then pick the best 10 to make the album. 2 or 3 more as B-sides.

(The rest will then be released in bootleg form, of course.)
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
lachert
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Not true.
yeah James, i wanna hear the proper versionz of "old new ones" too, but as i said maybe on b-sides or "rares compilation" but just not on new album. i'm prefering 10 -12 new unheared ones on new album, that's all.
long live rock'n'roll
Pista
Cureboi

Even if it's not likely that a studio output is on the cards, it would be at least nice to hear professionally mastered live versions.
Not to say that today's recording are bad, They are actually superb, but I would like one of :von:'s entourage (or the man himself) to take the controls & show us what the polished versions could sound like. Moreover, in what order they should be arranged.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
playboy

Pista wrote:Even if it's not likely that a studio output is on the cards, it would be at least nice to hear professionally mastered live versions.
Not to say that today's recording are bad, They are actually superb, but I would like one of :von:'s entourage (or the man himself) to take the controls & show us what the polished versions could sound like. Moreover, in what order they should be arranged.
Yeah, I´d really like to hear a proper recorded live show. You are right, todays recordings are not bad. However it is easy to get the impression they are because of the crappy live sound. Far too low sound and even lower vocals. I miss the feeling from before when I saw them 1985-1993, you could feel the power of Doctor Avalanche in your stomach and Andrews voice was dark, powerfull and just wonderful. Now I have to struggle to hear his mumbling.....
James Blast
Banned

you told him that, of course
~ Peter Steele
playboy

James Blast wrote:you told him that, of course
no I have not. of course
James Blast
Banned

missed opportunity
~ Peter Steele
playboy

James Blast wrote:missed opportunity
I know. But I also know that he wouldn´t give a f**k. Not because he thinks otherwise. He simply doesn´t care anymore.
He likes to hang around, have a few drinks, travel, see new places. Sisters gives him opportunity to do so. The music is secondary.

Has he told me this? Yes. Not the part that the music is secondary.
That is my words. But a good guess, I´d say...

Besides, I have told him numerous times that I want a new album or singles. That I want to hear certain songs live. That I want him to release Wake on DVD. That I would like to see more activity on the website.

His answers to all was something like: yeah, that is something I have thought about, I have something in the pipeline, my guess is that we will put something in the fall.........

So.... asking him or teeling him something about the Sisters is not an opportunity. It is a waste of time...
sultan2075
Overbomber

I was wondering, guys: does unicorn milk taste like cinnamon or like strawberries? I'm asking because I think the odds of finding some are about as good as those of getting a new record.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
James Blast
Banned

tastes of cinnaberry, it's not to my taste your mileage may vary
~ Peter Steele
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

playboy wrote: He likes to hang around, have a few drinks, travel, see new places. Sisters gives him opportunity to do so. The music is secondary.
At that point he's a very lucky man and can be happy from that.
But it also means - taking Your above words - that he's very cynical and so human. I will respect him more from now on. Hail to the genius.
Last edited by Bartek on 02 May 2011, 19:50, edited 2 times in total.
James Blast
Banned

U R 2 GAY fro him you Lebsieean!
~ Peter Steele
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I'm not sad, thanks for asking honey-bee.:kiss: How about You ?
playboy

Pista wrote:Even if it's not likely that a studio output is on the cards, it would be at least nice to hear professionally mastered live versions.
And if he decides not to release more records he could give us some of the albumdemos for downloading on their website. Cause obviously there are some recordings. How polished or how finished I do not know, but better a half-finished than.....nothing.

From a recent interview: "There are single tracks we could release, but Ḯ think we'd rather wait until there was a half a dozen, six here, six there. We do think about that and we do, sometimes, start recording them. But then, something comes up and somebody has to go and do something else which pays their rent or we have to do a concert tour. ..."
playboy

Bartek wrote:
playboy wrote: He likes to hang around, have a few drinks, travel, see new places. Sisters gives him opportunity to do so. The music is secondary.
At that point he's a very lucky man and can be happy from that.
But it also means - taking Your above words - that he's very cynical and so human. I will respect him more from now on. Hail to the genius.
You are entitled to respect him. And he will respect your money you spend on tickets. It´s a win-win situation as far as he is concerned.