When should the Sisters have called it quits?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.

When should the Sisters have called it quits?

After Reptile House?
4
4%
After FALAA?
12
13%
After Floodland?
3
3%
After Vision Thing
11
12%
Go on forever?
59
66%
 
Total votes: 89
Bartek
Underneath the Rock
Posts: 5909
Joined: 17 Sep 2005, 10:47

i guess and know that, but i'm not gonna spend money on ticket to see TSOM. :wink:
User avatar
Victim of Circumstance
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1204
Joined: 06 May 2008, 20:31
Location: Dead but not gone

I vored for "Go on forvever".

My first thought was to vote for FLAA, as I will always prefer the Reptile House/FLAA era (this includes the Sisterhood). However, they made some really good songs afterwards. Floodland itself isn't bad and I really like Lucretia as I like Ribbons from Vision Thing and a few of the new songs / versions. Just remember Rain from Heaven at Mera Luna or Lokeren ...

Last but not least, I like to go out for their gigs and meet fellow Heartlanders :wink:
Kommt Zeit,
kommt Rat,
kommt Attentat.
User avatar
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber
Posts: 2456
Joined: 04 Aug 2011, 23:35
Location: Scotland
Contact:

James Blast wrote:It's all such a dreary fiction.
Given your oft-repeated view on the current standard of TSOM shows, I would have thought that this thread would be right up your street. Would be interested to know when exactly you feel :von: should have called it a day.
User avatar
James Blast
Banned
Posts: 24739
Joined: 11 Jun 2003, 18:58
Location: back from some place else

When Tony James left.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
User avatar
czuczu
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1866
Joined: 24 Oct 2005, 14:11
Location: UK

James Blast wrote:When Tony James left.
Close but no cigar, the meaningful stuff was over at the end of '93 when Andreas left.
Still an occasional good night out and can have their moments on stage but not shiny any more.
@stuczu
User avatar
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1465
Joined: 02 Feb 2004, 16:25
Location: Kirkstall
Contact:

If there was an "after they failed to release Summer" option I'd pick that.

I'm of the opinion of a fair few others now anyway, they've become largely irrelevant in some respects now. I still listen to the records and I still love the "new" songs but as a going concern? Nah.
"Everybody dies, everybody dies in the end."
User avatar
sultan2075
Overbomber
Posts: 2006
Joined: 04 Mar 2005, 19:17
Location: Mordor-on-the-Potomac
Contact:

Purple Light wrote:If there was an "after they failed to release Summer" option I'd pick that.

I'm of the opinion of a fair few others now anyway, they've become largely irrelevant in some respects now. I still listen to the records and I still love the "new" songs but as a going concern? Nah.
Someone once said it's better to burn out than to fade away. Apparently Von disagrees.
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
User avatar
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 344
Joined: 06 Apr 2007, 15:13
Location: Another place where I'll never be seen

When :von: switched from drums to vocals. :P
I tried to tell her
About Marx and Eldritch, God and angels
I don't really know what for.
User avatar
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector
Posts: 3419
Joined: 09 May 2004, 17:42
Location: out there on a darkened road
Contact:

Jeremiah wrote:When :von: switched from drums to vocals. :P
Any true fan obviously would have picked the rehearsal session before they recorded Damage Done. :wink:
User avatar
James Blast
Banned
Posts: 24739
Joined: 11 Jun 2003, 18:58
Location: back from some place else

czuczu wrote:
James Blast wrote:When Tony James left.
Close but no cigar, the meaningful stuff was over at the end of '93 when Andreas left.
Still an occasional good night out and can have their moments on stage but not shiny any more.
Last bass player. If ever a band needed a fulltime one it's TSOM. Live sound anchor as opposed to a computer beat. :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
User avatar
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber
Posts: 2456
Joined: 04 Aug 2011, 23:35
Location: Scotland
Contact:

James Blast wrote:
czuczu wrote:
James Blast wrote:When Tony James left.
Close but no cigar, the meaningful stuff was over at the end of '93 when Andreas left.
Still an occasional good night out and can have their moments on stage but not shiny any more.
Last bass player. If ever a band needed a fulltime one it's TSOM. Live sound anchor as opposed to a computer beat. :|
Totally agree. Thought he was brought in as the new "class clown" at the time (to replace Ben/Wayne/Pat) but would welcome him back now.
User avatar
czuczu
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1866
Joined: 24 Oct 2005, 14:11
Location: UK

I would agree normally but..

Tony James never brought as much to their live sound as Craig Adams did and the basslines on VT are pretty much anonymous.

They were so tight during the 92 and 93 live shows, they lost live bass but somehow managed to sound bigger with the increase in keys and lady vocals. Tim and Andreas really clicked, the setlists evolved and the shows were consistently great.

And Comfortably Numb. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
@stuczu
User avatar
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1209
Joined: 11 May 2003, 19:15
Location: At the end of the pier

czuczu wrote:I would agree normally but..

Tony James never brought as much to their live sound as Craig Adams did and the basslines on VT are pretty much anonymous.

They were so tight during the 92 and 93 live shows, they lost live bass but somehow managed to sound bigger with the increase in keys and lady vocals. Tim and Andreas really clicked, the setlists evolved and the shows were consistently great.

And Comfortably Numb. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
but in '93 you had the female vocals f**king up each and every song
User avatar
Being645
Above the Chemist
Posts: 12792
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 12:54
Location: reconstruction status: 71%

Silence is platinum wrote:
czuczu wrote:I would agree normally but..

Tony James never brought as much to their live sound as Craig Adams did and the basslines on VT are pretty much anonymous.

They were so tight during the 92 and 93 live shows, they lost live bass but somehow managed to sound bigger with the increase in keys and lady vocals. Tim and Andreas really clicked, the setlists evolved and the shows were consistently great.

And Comfortably Numb. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
but in '93 you had the female vocals f**king up each and every song
True, though I remember in the 90s, plenty weeping about the "lack of female representation"
and how it were so dearly missed and might do so good to The Sisters and to :von: in particular ... :lol: ...
User avatar
czuczu
Slight Overbomber
Posts: 1866
Joined: 24 Oct 2005, 14:11
Location: UK

Silence is platinum wrote:but in '93 you had the female vocals f**king up each and every song
Yeah, sometimes :lol:

But that started when Tony James was still around.
They were still playing the old stuff properly, no medleys, no new and improved riffs, no short/half songs.
The back catalogue was getting a decent airing and none of it was stale.

After that it all went a bit pear(son)-shaped. ;D
..coat etc.
@stuczu
User avatar
Swinnow
Overbomber
Posts: 2675
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 08:51
Location: Self-isolating from feral Guinea Pigs

I voted for the carry on forever moment, probably cos I want another Comfortably Numb, Gimme Gimme Gimme or Stairway moment.

The silly covers in any era used to make my day, all hail The Metal Gurus! ;-)
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
User avatar
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 748
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 01:34
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Ok. I don't tend to get into these chats coz they make me feel a bit embarrassed for us all (for the record = one from the go on for ever crowd/group/intimate gathering)
But I would like to add my bit this time - I don't feel I have the right to tell anyone when to stop their chosen profession. Being a creative type, I have had my "new coke" moments, but I have also had some moments I am very proud of - and they came AFTER new coke.
I would never have seen a TSOM gig live in Oz if it had all fallen apart earlier - so I am grateful. I love the music and respect the craft, I will continue to support them coz it makes me happy ;D if it didn't I would just look elsewhere for my entertainment and mind my business - no need for negatives....
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
User avatar
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 491
Joined: 16 Oct 2006, 10:05
Location: in the garden... growing potatos by the score

forever....

I genuinely look forward to every new show. I get excited by wondering what will be different and while, yes there were a few years of unchanging setlists, i don't feel that's as true now: rain from heaven, rock and hard place, no time to cry, gift that shines, john i'm only dancing, pipeline have all been relatively new additions.

And still get a such a rush when the dry ice floods, the lights go down and the intro music starts.
ASPERUM AESTIMATE FIMI ALIQUID HODIE
User avatar
markreed
Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 133
Joined: 02 Aug 2005, 00:18
Location: somewhere south of isabella adjani
Contact:

The Sisters should - and will - go on forever.

They also need a damn good slap for not sticking out records.

Having seen about 40,000 lineups of the band over the past 25 years, who is in the band is irrelevant. As long as the lights turn red when Von yells about Mother Russia dropping bombs on his mobile home in Memphis, the guitars sound like buzzsaws whilst polar bears argue in the background and there's a couple of hundred of silly people dressed in black yelling the words, it's The Sisters. The fact there's band on the stage making that racket is almost irrelevant sometimes.
User avatar
psichonaut
Overbomber
Posts: 2709
Joined: 29 Mar 2007, 20:37
Location: somewhere in time in italy
Contact:

I would have been courius to hear some other album
Go on it is
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
User avatar
markfiend
goriller of form 3b
Posts: 20468
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 10:55
Location: st custards
Contact:

markreed wrote:The Sisters should - and will - go on forever.

They also need a damn good slap for not sticking out records.

Having seen about 40,000 lineups of the band over the past 25 years, who is in the band is irrelevant. As long as the lights turn red when Von yells about Mother Russia dropping bombs on his mobile home in Memphis, the guitars sound like buzzsaws whilst polar bears argue in the background and there's a couple of hundred of silly people dressed in black yelling the words, it's The Sisters. The fact there's band on the stage making that racket is almost irrelevant sometimes.
When you put it like that...

Can I change my vote to "forever" too?
advanced, forthright, signifficant
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth
Posts: 538
Joined: 25 Jun 2010, 18:44
Location: Finland

Vision Thing and the thingies performed after that are some of their best work for my money, so I'm glad they didn't quit.
User avatar
James Blast
Banned
Posts: 24739
Joined: 11 Jun 2003, 18:58
Location: back from some place else

They're a fuckin' embarrassment, wake up and sniff the carpet. They broke my heart years ago and yet I tried to convince myself and people on here they were 'Rock in Action'. Deep down I knew I was lying to myself and the good burghers of HL.
I'm more than happy to meet everyone before a gig and get pished but as for seeing them again - NF Way!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
User avatar
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard
Posts: 1466
Joined: 17 Sep 2004, 20:57
Location: Was the UK, but now Columbus, Ohio

OK, I have to admit to changing my opinion after repeated plays of Floodland and VT. I still think Floodland was poor in places, while everything on VT did kick arse. I was not trying to be negative about when/if they should call it quits, just curios to see where everybody was at. Sure, :von: can go on forever, and maybe he should. I have just lost a lot of my former interest. If all you do is play live then maybe you should make sure your sound is fookin' excellent
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
User avatar
James Blast
Banned
Posts: 24739
Joined: 11 Jun 2003, 18:58
Location: back from some place else

Amen Brother Hun! :notworthy:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Post Reply