"Damage Done" cover photo

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
James Blast
Banned

A life, get one.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

paint it black wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:If it is St Mary's in Guildford then I wonder if the photograph is by the author Lewis Carroll, who apparently was a deacon at that same church for a time.
that had been my thought for quite some time. further, if it was his funeral - you won't believe how many hours i looked for stuff about that.

But, i came to the conclusion it wasn't that church, him, or anything to do with him - which is a shame really
I agree that it is probably not that one. Having spent more hours than is probably sensible researching this over the past week my hunch would be on a neo-gothic rebuild, by one of Pugin's acolytes like Benjamin Ferrey who remodelled churches using this style of window, buttress and roofline with cross.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

as an aside. i used to get taken to Daresbury church when i was little. well worth going to see the window

Goths have feelings too
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:A life, get one.
:lol: Guilty as charged. :oops:
paint it black

Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

paint it black wrote:it'll be here somewhere

http://www.google.com
:P
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Could it be a Sisters of Mercy school/chapel/convent i.e. = where the damage is done?
There are so many churches that are ALMOST a match... a person could become quite obsessed, for instance spend a whole morning looking at pictures of chapels.... :oops:
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

splintered thing wrote:Could it be a Sisters of Mercy school/chapel/convent i.e. = where the damage is done?
There are so many churches that are ALMOST a match... a person could become quite obsessed, for instance spend a whole morning looking at pictures of chapels.... :oops:
Just one morning ?? :oops: :oops:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

that's even sadder than spending Friday evening/nacht at home. :lol: :oops:
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Unexpected update from https://www.facebook.com/groups/1980147 ... 375837305/
  • Photograph is by Paul Martin (1864-1944)
  • It's called Sunday Morning and an uncropped version is in a volume of the literary journal The Saturday Book (clicky)
Sounds like Martin took most of his photographs in and around London, so that's probably where you'll find the church
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

well there's a turn-up. Thanks.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Oh, that looks very interesting ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ... Thanks for linking it here ... :D ...
mugabe

lazarus corporation wrote:
  • It's called Sunday Morning and an uncropped version is in a volume of the literary journal The Saturday Book (clicky)
Does it say "The Policeman's funeral"?
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

mugabe wrote:
lazarus corporation wrote:
Does it say "The Policeman's funeral"?
No, the person in the Facebook thread originally thought it did, then said he'd got it mixed up with a different one. He corrected himself later in the thread and said it's called "Sunday Morning".
mugabe

Ah, the caption says "Above: Sunday Morning Below: The Policeman's funeral". Not the sharpest of photos, agreed.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

So this is the reply from the church warden of st marys church, guildford. It is not that one.

"This is not St. Mary’s church, Guildford. Although there are general similarities, the door to St. Mary’s is on the north side, and the door to the church in the photo is on the south. The gate and the wall are also different.

The churchyard wall in your photograph seems to be of flint, and probably the walls of the church also. This means it must be in East Anglia – the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk, or in south-east England, the counties of Kent, Sussex, Surrey or Hampshire. The roof may be of stone slabs, rather than tiles, though it is hard to be sure. This would make it more likely to be in the south-east.

The cross on the gate is unusual.

The photograph was taken around 1900.

I regret that I don‘t recognise the church. I’m sorry I can’t be more help."

The church race goes on, and on, and on.
love is just a shot away
robertzombie
Overbomber

Perhaps English Heritage or the National Trust could help?
flakk13
Amphetamine Filth

ROBBIE
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Another candidate. St John Alkmonton Looks similar but not quite convinced myself.

http://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/imag ... monton.jpg

http://derbyshirechurches.org/church/alkmonton-st-john
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Bear in mind that if the photographer's dates are 1864-1944 and "the photograph was taken around 1900" the church or chapel itself might no longer exist.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Medi ... in-Norfolk

Quite a nice overview of similar churches only in norfolk, few hundreds likely until the last page. Other areas available also.
Who has got a little spare time?
love is just a shot away
Being645
Above the Chemist

Not the full clarification, but at least a further strong hint to the whereabouts of this church ... :wink: ...

* from Victorian Snapshots by Paul Martin, 1939 Billing and Son Ltd

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:Not the full clarification, but at least a further strong hint to the whereabouts of this church ... :wink: ...

* from Victorian Snapshots by Paul Martin, 1939 Billing and Son Ltd

:) :eek: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Amazing find, @Being. Real clarity in the image too which makes eliminating potential churches even easier.
Much to Mrs L's disgust, I have spent/wasted another entire evening googling churches, to no avail :roll:
paint it black

VS is mentioned in the books I have

at that time he holidayed in Hastings a few times - the games afoot
Goths have feelings too
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Clearer and wider. And a narrowing down of the location to boot. :notworthy:
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.