Lemmy

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
sukhoi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Just a small appetizer...

I happened to do an interview with Lemmy from Motörhead (before their Czech concert this weekend) and tempting to ask was too strong. So, here you go:

Q: You have been inspiration for many bands, one of them – strangely or not – are The Sisters of Mercy. When I did ask Andrew Eldritch on you, he answered: „We went to see Motörhead in Bradford a few years ago and they’ve still got it.“ Have you been anytime on their concert? Or have you any opinion on their music?
LK: I’ve not seen the perform band on stage but I do respect Andrew and his commitment to music.

That's all, go for another day at the beach...
damagedone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

redemption
Keep Music Evil
rien

Was he being sarcastic with that very last bit?
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Thanks for sharing, @sukhoi. Like with Bowie and Cohen, another unrequited musical infatuation for Von.
sukhoi

rien wrote:Was he being sarcastic with that very last bit?
I don't think. But I don't know either, he was very short in his answers.
damagedone

I am pretty sure Lemmy has no problem with Von's music whatsoever,he is just not that type of guy
Keep Music Evil
situationalism
Road Kill

Don't ask how this popped into my head: "They were forced to do a second encore at the RAH as people were still arriving as they were finishing their set. Apparently Eldritch didn't want to do it but Lemmy, who was backstage, had a go at him and told him to get back out there! Craig Adams told me that."

Per this link: http://thequietus.com/articles/17433-si ... ays-review.

I guess technically he might not have seen them perform, but still...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

situationalism wrote:Don't ask how this popped into my head: "They were forced to do a second encore at the RAH as people were still arriving as they were finishing their set. Apparently Eldritch didn't want to do it but Lemmy, who was backstage, had a go at him and told him to get back out there! Craig Adams told me that."

Welcome, situationalism. That quote's definitely familiar from somewhere, although I can't remember where. The quietus link seems to be down - anyone remember the origin?

But people still arriving as the concert was finishing? :eek:
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:But people still arriving as the concert was finishing? :eek:
I'm sure I remember someone on HL previously saying that the concert started really early, and indeed some people didn't arrive until it was over.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

markfiend wrote:
I'm sure I remember someone on HL previously saying that the concert started really early, and indeed some people didn't arrive until it was over.
I think 5.00pm, but could be wrong

von stated lemmy sorted them and after about 5 mins they came back to do the 2nd encore. the actual wait time was more like 30-40minutes.

in the HL book, it is suggested 200 or so saw the encore
Goths have feelings too
Brad

I had spoken to Lemmy about 10 years ago about Eldritch. Lemmy said Andrew was a strange, funny little man and then he talked about how Patricia Morrison was married to that "guy from The Damned".
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

paint it black wrote:
markfiend wrote:

von stated lemmy sorted them and after about 5 mins they came back to do the 2nd encore. the actual wait time was more like 30-40minutes.

Wow. I wonder how many asked for their money back. Why on earth did they start so early? Anyone know?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Brad wrote:I had spoken to Lemmy about 10 years ago about Eldritch. Lemmy said Andrew was a strange, funny little man ...
Yeah, he seems to know :von: not very well after all ... I noticed something like that a few years ago somehow ...
Brad wrote: ... and then he talked about how Patricia Morrison was married to that "guy from The Damned".

IIRC, The Damned and Motörhead shared the stage several times over the years
(including having - among others - The Damned with them on tour last year) ...
so that issue was possibly closer to his mind ...
mh
Above the Chemist

Lemmy was in the Damned at one point too.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Brad wrote:I had spoken to Lemmy about 10 years ago about Eldritch. Lemmy said Andrew was a strange, funny little man
Still a good judge of character, then.
Four strings good, six strings bad
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Seems an apt description.

Yes there are Damned bootlegs featuring Lemmy
Goths have feelings too
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

situationalism wrote:Don't ask how this popped into my head: "They were forced to do a second encore at the RAH as people were still arriving as they were finishing their set. Apparently Eldritch didn't want to do it but Lemmy, who was backstage, had a go at him and told him to get back out there! Craig Adams told me that."

Official Site wrote: Andrew had been performing with a couple of cracked ribs, and he had indeed decided to finish, but Lemmy was in the dressing room to convince him that another encore was in order. After a short discussion and a multilateral assessment of all the available pharmaceuticals, the band hit the stage again
i have it first hand from someone who was backstage with the band (one of the "wide receivers" as credited on the wake video) that this is a true version of events.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
vince
Road Kill

stufarq wrote:
paint it black wrote:
markfiend wrote: I'm sure I remember someone on HL previously saying that the concert started really early, and indeed some people didn't arrive until it was over.

Wow. I wonder how many asked for their money back. Why on earth did they start so early? Anyone know?
It wasn't that early. The doors opened something like 7:30, there was a short organ intro and then the band came on - I was a bit surprised as I was expecting a support, but they went straight into it, played the hour set for Wake, went off and did a normal encore, then went off again and after about 15-20 minutes (I think the lights went back on, but I may be wrong) they came back and did the second encore - people were still coming in at that point. I remember when it finished going outside and it was still quite light, so it would have been about 9:15-9:30ish as it was close to the longest day.

I'd say 200 or so would have been correct - 25-30 of those were the group I took!
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Lemmy could of course have forgotten that he saw TSOM one night thirty years ago, particularly as his memory may have become a little clouded by the years and his, erm, experiences.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

easily, and we have only really determined that he was there, not whether or not he was paying attention. :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

vince wrote:
stufarq wrote:
paint it black wrote: I think 5.00pm, but could be wrong

It wasn't that early. The doors opened something like 7:30, there was a short organ intro and then the band came on - I was a bit surprised as I was expecting a support, but they went straight into it, played the hour set for Wake, went off and did a normal encore, then went off again and after about 15-20 minutes (I think the lights went back on, but I may be wrong) they came back and did the second encore - people were still coming in at that point. I remember when it finished going outside and it was still quite light, so it would have been about 9:15-9:30ish as it was close to the longest day.

I'd say 200 or so would have been correct - 25-30 of those were the group I took!
Ah, that makes a bit more sense. Lots of people don't turn up until an hour or so after the doors, hoping to miss the support and just catch the main act.
Alex66

I got absolutely hammered with Lemmy at the Marquee once, I had to give up after 10+10 the guy could drink like very few I have met.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
radiojamaica
Overbomber

speed might have got something to do with that :innocent:
in dub we trust
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Talking of heroic drinkers, an acquaintance of mine was once in a pub when Oliver Reed turned up. Reed challenged the whole pub to a drinking contest: "You lot drink pints of beer, and I'll drink pints of my favourite tipple. Match me pint-for-pint, and the last man standing wins."

His favourite tipple was vodka and orange... a half pint of vodka and a half pint of orange in a pint glass.

Of course Oliver Reed won.

And being the gentleman that he was, he also settled the bar tab for everyone in the pub.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

We simply don't see their like anymore.

:notworthy: