Wayne on FALAA, Eldritch and stuff

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:So who is the "iconic band-leader/singer/guitarist/songwriter" whom Wayne has never met but admires?

Any guesses, or is it someone blindingly obvious to everyone except me?
We didn't get an answer to this. Anyone got a clue?
Been struggling to think of someone Wayne's either spoken about or covered who would fit. Maybe Steven Tyler? Or, more likely, Neil Young.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

or Boner?
in dub we trust
iesus
Overbomber

Bob Dylan maybe? who knows...
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

My first thought was Neil Y. or Bruce S.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Typical of Wayne to tease us like this. As TM covered Like A Hurricane, Neil Young would be a good call, but I suspect that WH has a broader definition of iconic than the rest of us.
Pista
Cureboi

Aye.
It could very well be Patti Smith. :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
deirfiur
Amphetamine Filth

I think people are getting a bit carried away - Springsteen, Young, Patti Smith... you must be joking

Probably someone like Trent Reznor or other such acolyte
Swinnow
Overbomber

Isn't Neil Young Canadian?
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Swinnow wrote:Isn't Neil Young Canadian?
Good point.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Richie Sambora, James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine.
Jeremiah
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Was wondering if it might be Axl Rose, but I don't know much about Guns n Roses so I'm not sure if he qualifies as a guitarist.
I tried to tell her
About Marx and Eldritch, God and angels
I don't really know what for.
bookish
Road Kill

theyoungbrain wrote: ... a few hefty lines of speed beforehand saw us through ...

I’d been out the evening before the show in London ... it’s fair to say that Jimmy was in an even worse state than I was ... the day of the Sisters Royal Albert Hall show and I was so hungover. I couldn’t stand up without wanting to fall over and vomit ... A couple of white lines and a stiff drink saw me right and I was ready if not quite right as rain.
This kind of stuff doesn't sit right to me. A man of his age (57) feeling obliged to pepper a very interesting discussion about music and performances with these "wooo - drugs!" interludes. He sounds about 16.

On the other hand his comments on the opening to the OGWT were fascinating, and his discussion on the performance of 'Knocking On Heavens Door' from the RAH show were I think fair. From what I've heard this is that iteration of the Sisters at their absolute best, and this song and that arrangement just works. I've never heard a better version either. Every part of it is in sympathy with the others and they just knock it out of the park. And that Look. That Look ...
Mav787
One life, all I need

Knowing Wayne a little, there's no way it is Axl.

Trent would be my guess.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

bookish wrote:his kind of stuff doesn't sit right to me. A man of his age (57) feeling obliged to pepper a very interesting discussion about music and performances with these "wooo - drugs!" interludes. He sounds about 16.
Heh when you put it like that, it's hard to disagree
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
centurionofprix
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

bookish wrote:
theyoungbrain wrote: ... a few hefty lines of speed beforehand saw us through ...

I’d been out the evening before the show in London ... it’s fair to say that Jimmy was in an even worse state than I was ... the day of the Sisters Royal Albert Hall show and I was so hungover. I couldn’t stand up without wanting to fall over and vomit ... A couple of white lines and a stiff drink saw me right and I was ready if not quite right as rain.
This kind of stuff doesn't sit right to me. A man of his age (57) feeling obliged to pepper a very interesting discussion about music and performances with these "wooo - drugs!" interludes. He sounds about 16.
But it's not like Hussey brags about drugs every time he opens his mouth; he is talking about The Sisters Of Mercy here. Drugs were a bit central to the band. The references illustrate something about their life and sensibility of that time, which is the topic of his reminiscing.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Mav787 wrote:Trent would be my guess.
Mine, too.
Four strings good, six strings bad
mh
Above the Chemist

All that aside, it's interesting to go back and rewatch the OGWT performance in the light of Wayne's comments. You can certainly see that the camera kept off Gazza during much of the intro, and you can also see (presumably) Jez at work.

It's also pretty cool to see that even the roadies wore hats back in them days...
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
GlosGoth
Road Kill

Michael Stipe is my guess
stanzer
Road Kill

GlosGoth wrote:Michael Stipe is my guess
I suppose he cannot fall into category of "guitarist", as other above mentioned individuals aren't exactly "band-leaders" since their persona outhsines any band that plays for them in the background, as The Boss or Dylan.
I think of someone more in the "alternative" waters, like someone mentioned Reznor (if he could be called "charismatic", more accuaretly, charismatic leader could be Glenn Danzig )...
Or Francis Black :lol:
http://www.soundsjustlike.com/3016/pixi ... -of-mercy/
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Continuing guessing:
Tom Verlaine, fits all: iconic band-leader (for some) /singer/guitarist/songwriter.
Pista
Cureboi

Bartek wrote:Continuing guessing:
Tom Verlaine, fits all: iconic band-leader (for some) /singer/guitarist/songwriter.
That's the one I thought of too, but Wayne's met him, so he's off the list
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pat
Slight Overbomber

It'll be Jon Bon Jovi.
Pista
Cureboi

Pat wrote:It'll be Jon Bon Jovi.
:lol:

I was going to say that earlier too.
:notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Actually not that far fetched, Mr BJ is looking for a guitarist at the moment . Same sort of age group etc.

So the Mrs tells me, I wouldn't know of course.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

I'm sure Wayne has mentioned Trent Reznor in the past, but I can't remember if it's from an admiration/respect standpoint or if they've actually met.