Lisa Cuthbert

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

So, there have been five or six gigs/appearances by Lisa Cuthbert with the Sisters? What do you guys think?

I'm really enjoying her contributions. Her backing vocals really add something to the mix, and the stage looks more . . . proper, with a fourth person up front.

Three guys and a laptop at the back (with handler) doesn't 'feel' like a proper band. For some reason, an extra body just looks better.

I'd love to see her become a full touring member. Andrew seems to have used her mostly for the encore songs that have backing vocals on the records - TOL, This Corrosion etc, but I think she really complements his voice.
Do I drive or am I driven?
abridged
Slight Overbomber

I always liked a female voice in the Sisters. I always preferred TOL 92 even though the original is of course wonderful so absolutely it would be great to have her in the band. And tis good to have Irish people in the Sisters! ;-) And it might mean we get a great version of Under the Gun! :D
The Chancer Corporation
mh
Above the Chemist

Likewise, I think she fills out the sound and adds something new and interesting to the songs.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Sign her up, simple as.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

It would be great a female backing vocals and live keyboards.
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
iesus
Overbomber

She should be an add to the band because of all the above reasons plus...

Band could play the new material with that add. 8)
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
sultan2075
Overbomber

iesus wrote:She should be an add to the band because of all the above reasons plus...

Band could play the new material with that add. 8)
Maybe with her on piano we'll hear "Maximum Jack"?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Arrrgh! wrote:So, there have been five or six gigs/appearances by Lisa Cuthbert with the Sisters? What do you guys think?

I'm really enjoying her contributions. Her backing vocals really add something to the mix, and the stage looks more . . . proper, with a fourth person up front.

Three guys and a laptop at the back (with handler) doesn't 'feel' like a proper band. For some reason, an extra body just looks better.

I'd love to see her become a full touring member. Andrew seems to have used her mostly for the encore songs that have backing vocals on the records - TOL, This Corrosion etc, but I think she really complements his voice.
Absolutely seconded. Some minor improvements aside, it were really cool to have these additional vocals strategically involved (meanwhile Chris does a very good job at times in this direction, too ... and he has a great voice for it as well and knows how to use it ...) but an explicit background singer - I would prefer even two!! - makes the whole gig look more sorted and professional ... plus the visual anchor and width a background unit adds to the stage ... so YES ... ;D ;D ...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Not for me, I'm afraid. Would rather see a live bassist and carry on with current increased BVs for Chris and Ben, whose role seems to have increased, vocally. I'm sure LC is a fine artiste, but not personally of a style I enjoy or would associate with TSOM. I would have to add that this view is solely based on YT, as she has not performed at any shows I have been to.
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

Not a fan, sorry. Dominion wasn't so bad, but the rest I could live without. The less wailing the better, but I know that's a minority opinion.
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Well, if your lead "singer" can't sing, best to add some backing vocals to repair the drama.

Check the comments on those videos. :roll:
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
ruffers
Overbomber

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Not for me, I'm afraid. Would rather see a live bassist and carry on with current increased BVs for Chris and Ben, whose role seems to have increased, vocally. I'm sure LC is a fine artiste, but not personally of a style I enjoy or would associate with TSOM. I would have to add that this view is solely based on YT, as she has not performed at any shows I have been to.
This. I don't really like the sound of her voice I'm afraid.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
paul
Overbomber

Perhaps if she learns how to play bass combined with backing vocals, that would be cool ... Ow wait, has anyone Patsy's phone number?
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I hope she joins them for the next UK tour. I'd love to experience it for myself. I heard lots of good things about her contribution.
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

I like what I've heard on youtube. And i think she and Chris would make an adorable couple.
My life is one long week of stupid clothing benders.
Llamatron
Amphetamine Filth

dtsom wrote:It would be great a female backing vocals and live keyboards.
I don't mind the keys on a backing track (though, to be fair, she can play just fine... Perhaps 1959 live with just her and :von: ?), but live bass would be phenomenal as well. I do enjoy her backing vocals and feel they add something to the band.
Left at the dead badger.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

as i didn't attend any of the concerts she was in i too can only go on the YT vids. to be honest it makes no odds to me one way or another, so long as a) they dont go sticking female vocals where they dont belong, simply to give her something to do (i doubt they would anyway) and b) she stays within her capabilities as a vocalist. where she is singing the part of otherwise faceless female backing singers she sounds fine but she hasn't got the vocal range or uniquity to sing ofra haza's part on TOL. we need to be strengthening and supporting the live vocals if anything, not adding to their failings.
given the choice regarding additions to the bands format i would ask for a live bass player above all else.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Her vocal range is pretty impressive and it's probably not easy to place her well in the mix since the backround vocals should not outperform the lead vocals. Still this collaboration seems getting along better and better over time.
panzerfaust
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

by lead vocals you mean chris' ?
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

Just listening to stuttgarts temple, even this she is really doing nicely, its not that easy. She also could be even better in the mix, not louder.
Lets have her and a bass player, it could be the next peak in sisters history. Tony, where are you? Wonna put on the party dress?
love is just a shot away
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

panzerfaust wrote:by lead vocals you mean chris' ?
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

If Von ever does get round to that Trump election LP, at least Ms Cuthbert's services shouldn't break the bank https://www.airgigs.com/online-female-v ... -HARMONIES