The Sisters On This Day

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
czuczu
Overbomber

There are a couple of diff source recordings for the 93 show plus a (shaky) aud cam too, havent listened to it for years but remwmber at least one is clear
Being645
Above the Chemist

hihi, never seen this before. looks like a frisbee ... :lol: ... so here it is again (as it doesn't show out here with the other link)
czuczu
Overbomber

Its almost as big as a frisbee.
Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:Image

hihi, never seen this before. looks like a frisbee ... :lol: ... so here it is again (as it doesn't show out here with the other link)
Those timings look a bit off :lol:

Presumably Sunscreem were on from 11am-12pm (i.e. noon), and The Wonder Stuff were then on from 12.30pm-1.30pm. Did Miles Hunt and Andrew bond over memories of Selly Oak in '82 (I doubt it!)

A strange bill - three great bands, with some really random stuff in between. The Sisters and Van Morrison?!

Presumably that's a badge, not a frisbee?
Being645
Above the Chemist

... :lol: ... ok, it might be a badge ... :lol: ...

btw, there was a recording at dcr, but the links have gone...
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

I'd love to have a good recording of zerbrugge. Good mood, especially given the daytime of the gig ....
love is just a shot away
BigPhil
Amphetamine Filth

jost 7 wrote:I'd love to have a good recording of zerbrugge. Good mood, especially given the daytime of the gig ....
The video audio that used to be passed around as an AUD was pretty good sound, save for a bit of tape wear, haven't heard any of the other sources
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

BigPhil wrote:
jost 7 wrote:I'd love to have a good recording of zerbrugge. Good mood, especially given the daytime of the gig ....
The video audio that used to be passed around as an AUD was pretty good sound, save for a bit of tape wear, haven't heard any of the other sources[/quote
Have to check it out once more, afa i remember nothing to listen without a special purpose
love is just a shot away
Being645
Above the Chemist

Me too, I've got some recording of the gig, but that is ... terrible ... unlistenable, indeed ... :urff: ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

25 July ... for The Sisters another Tune In - Turn On - Load Out-gig at Metropol in Pittsburgh 1991
https://sisterswiki.org/Thu,_25-Jul-1991

and in 1998, the Taubertal Festival (together with The Cure)
https://sisterswiki.org/Sat,_25-Jul-1998
Mothra

26th July

Washington DC (https://sisterswiki.org/Fri,_26-Jul-1991)

Suikerrock Festival, Tienen, Belgium 2008 (https://sisterswiki.org/Sat,_26-Jul-2008)

Tavastia, Helsinki, Finland, 2011 (https://sisterswiki.org/Tue,_26-Jul-2011)

The first phase of the Sisters (1980-85) weren't so fond of summer gigging it seems. The last few weeks seem to be nothing but festivals and that interminable Tune In... Tour
Being645
Above the Chemist

Today, only one concert on 27 July ... Fox Theater, Atlanta in 1991

as to yesterday's gigs, they were all wonderful. Suikerrock 2008 is famous for its extraordinary setlist that included among others Capricorn ...

the concert at Tavastia in Helsinka 2011 during the 30th Stage Anniversary Tour was a fully energetic rocking gig that I fully enjoyed ... ;D ;D ;D ... plus I also met a few lovely people there ...

and Washington DAR ... as far as one can hear, a relaxed and joyful event ... in 1991.
Being645
Above the Chemist

On this day, on 28 July 2002 - The Sisters of Mercy @Alive Festival in St Vith, Belgium ... https://sisterswiki.org/Sun,_28-Jul-2002 ...
czuczu
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:On this day, on 28 July 2002 - The Sisters of Mercy @Alive Festival in St Vith, Belgium ... https://sisterswiki.org/Sun,_28-Jul-2002 ...
I'd completely forgotten this one! Don't remember a huge amount about the weekend, don't even know if we there for the night or whole thing.

We camped, it was sunny. They played Neverland. I may have photos :?
I think 808 state and Guy Called Gerald may have been there too.
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

The Cure played the day before at London Hyde Park. I can't remember if you were there Stu? You were definitely with us traveling from Stansted to Charleroi and then on to the festival by train. We missed a connection and had to get a cab the rest of the way if you remember! Apocalytica also played that day. The Sisters went on quite late, around 11pm and Adam wore a cowboy hat.
I remember all this because I kept a diary from 1991-2002. Maybe I should write a book "The Scardy Chronicles" LOL.
czuczu
Overbomber

Scardwel wrote:The Cure played the day before at London Hyde Park. I can't remember if you were there Stu? You were definitely with us traveling from Stansted to Charleroi and then on to the festival by train. We missed a connection and had to get a cab the rest of the way if you remember! Apocalytica also played that day. The Sisters went on quite late, around 11pm and Adam wore a cowboy hat.
I remember all this because I kept a diary from 1991-2002. Maybe I should write a book "The Scardy Chronicles" LOL.
Now you've said that, I think I remember being stuck at Charleroi coming home! I would have sworn it was all Eurostar otherwise.. Apocaplyptica rings a bell, if I had to guess then I'd say they were playing less Metallica at this point.
I was still in the middle of my massive Cure sulk so def wasnt at that Hyde Park show. I've got a poster or shirt from St Vith with whole lineup somewhere.
I haven't got a diary and my email accounts from that time are long gone but I do have loads of boxes/bags of tat that warrant a good archiving/binning, I should go and have a look...

I blame Andrius - if he'd kept updating the tours site then I wouldn't need my feeble brain to remember stuff! :innocent: :lol:
Last edited by czuczu on 28 Jul 2018, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
czuczu
Overbomber

Just found half a dozen photos (probably yours!) on my drive. They're labelled as Hasselt but Eva is wearing a 2002 shirt so that can't be right..

I do remember the journey! It was crazy hot and while we were stuck outside that train station I walked into someone's house thinking it was a pub. :D
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

czuczu wrote:Just found half a dozen photos (probably yours!) on my drive. They're labelled as Hasselt but Eva is wearing a 2002 shirt so that can't be right..

I do remember the journey! It was crazy hot and while we were stuck outside that train station I walked into someone's house thinking it was a pub. :D
Yep I've found 'em on my hard drive as well. You're wearing a white Birmingham 92 shirt and I'm wearing a white "shut.the.f**k.up" long sleeve. The train station was called Trois-Ponts and we got a cab from there.
Mothra

I went to The Cure gig in Hyde Park, they were great, haven't been to anything there since that has been really worth the money (it is so big, it feels like I've payed a ton of money to sit in a park whilst a band plays in the background).

I have a recording of the Alive festival show, but it is flawed, most of the songs are cut in half.

29th July only yields 2 shows:

1991, that doomed tour gets closer to its grinding halt (:wink:) in Tampa https://sisterswiki.org/Mon,_29-Jul-1991

2011, Fuji Rock Festival https://sisterswiki.org/Fri,_29-Jul-2011 and https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21503
czuczu
Overbomber

BigPhil wrote:
The video audio that used to be passed around as an AUD was pretty good sound, save for a bit of tape wear, haven't heard any of the other sources
My video recording is almost entirely left channel and tinny but I do have an aud that is missing Ribbons but otherwise very good - I can upload that unless someone has something better?
Being645
Above the Chemist

@czuzu ... yes, please ... :kiss: ...

The Sisters of Mercy on July 30th?
1991 - James L. Knight Center, Miami, USA ... an audience recording does exist. And, IIRC, it is quite a good one ... :D ...
https://sisterswiki.org/Tue,_30-Jul-1991
czuczu
Overbomber

31st July 1993 - their most famous support gig ever?

A lot of the same faces from Zeebrugge resurfaced and were surprisingly organised - a long crocodile of goths, led by Pete F, pushing through to the front before the Sisters and then buggering off again after.

DM were good too!

Very, very messy by the end of the day.
Pista
Cureboi

czuczu wrote:31st July 1993 - their most famous support gig ever?

A lot of the same faces from Zeebrugge resurfaced and were surprisingly organised - a long crocodile of goths, led by Pete F, pushing through to the front before the Sisters and then buggering off again after.

DM were good too!

& in addition to the Crystal Palace gig....(from which I still have no recollection of how I got home.. :oops: )

There was also the Parkingang Festival in 1983 :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
czuczu wrote:31st July 1993 - their most famous support gig ever?

DM were good too!

& in addition to the Crystal Palace gig....(from which I still have no recollection of how I got home.. :oops: )

There was also the Parkingang Festival in 1983 :D
Has anyone seen Jeremy Deller's video work on Depeche Mode fans?

http://www.jeremydeller.org/OurHobbyIsD ... _Video.php

It builds up if I remember rightly to the Crystal Palace gig. Some of the Mode fans featured are ahem committed... :wink: It's one of his better works I have always thought.
The Chancer Corporation
Being645
Above the Chemist

The only gig ever The Sisters of Mercy played on August 1st ...

Tienen Suikerrock ... 2015 ... :D :D :D ...

reviews from here... ... :D...