The Sisters On This Day

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Possibly just duplicating what's on the Facebook 80-85 page, but so be it.

1st June 1984 saw the Sisters playing Deinze, Brielpoort
1st June 1985 saw them playing the San Francisco, Kabuki. I've just uploaded some photos of this show to the Facebook page (awaiting admin clearance)
Being645
Above the Chemist

Mothra wrote:Possibly just duplicating what's on the Facebook 80-85 page, but so be it.

1st June 1985 saw them playing the San Francisco, Kabuki. I've just uploaded some photos of this show to the Facebook page (awaiting admin clearance)
A good reason to celebrate ... :D ... though you could also upload those pictures here ... :D ... for everyone to see.

And, as a matter of consequence, I could integrate them into this lovely page ... :wink: ...
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

There are great pictures of both those gigs over on the FB group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/1704379173138423/
plus a link posted by Philippe Carly to the famous "no shades" shots at the Sheraton, an advert for that infamous Furs gig at Huddersfield where Von handed over the demo tape, and loads of other stuff.
Mothra

Being645 wrote:
Mothra wrote:Possibly just duplicating what's on the Facebook 80-85 page, but so be it.

A good reason to celebrate ... :D ... though you could also upload those pictures here ... :D ... for everyone to see.

And, as a matter of consequence, I could integrate them into this lovely page ... :wink: ...
I have been a member of Heartland for well over 10 years now, and only in the last couple of months have I learned how to hyperlink text :oops:

If someone can explain in words of one syllable (or less) how I upload the pictures to here, I'll get straight on it :D

And On This Day...
The Sisters played Amsterdam Melkweg in 1984, and the Los Angeles Palace in 1985.

Just cooked breakfast to the sounds of Ghostrider/Sister Ray from the Amsterdam show. The best moment of their best show? Certainly one of the stand-out moments that I've heard by them, either in terms of on record, bootlegged or at a show.
Being645
Above the Chemist

... :D ... OK, the mods have moved the answers to the technical issues of uploading pictures here... check it out. It is very easy.
Mothra wrote:And On This Day...
The Sisters played Amsterdam Melkweg in 1984, and the Los Angeles Palace in 1985.

Just cooked breakfast to the sounds of Ghostrider/Sister Ray from the Amsterdam show. The best moment of their best show? Certainly one of the stand-out moments that I've heard by them, either in terms of on record, bootlegged or at a show.
Hah, yeah. The Amsterdam gig was quite a good one, got recorded and bootlegged ... :D ... other than the one in L.A. 1985, unfortunately ... :) ...
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Ugh all these years and I’m still pissed off about the Kabuki gig. Just bought a ticket to London leaving on the 1st when it was announced.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

:notworthy:
in dub we trust
Being645
Above the Chemist

So as to go with this day ... :D ... when The Sisters played

* St. Andrew's Hall, Detroit in 1985 ... of which recordings should be in circulation and

* 2009 - a special gig at Manifesto Bar, Sao Paulo, Brasil ... watch them playing "Alice" here
Being645
Above the Chemist

Tue, 05-Jun-1984 ... was the only June, 5th that The Sisters ever played a gig ... though it was well worth it... :D ...
Mothra

Mothra wrote:
Being645 wrote:

I have been a member of Heartland for well over 10 years now, and only in the last couple of months have I learned how to hyperlink text :oops:

If someone can explain in words of one syllable (or less) how I upload the pictures to here, I'll get straight on it :D

And On This Day...

So these are now up, under the cunning title The 1985 San Francisco pics. Please don't make me hyperlink the post, it's in Sister Chat.

Thanks for the help, I've learned a new 'skill' and aged 10 years in the process

:D
Being645
Above the Chemist

Mothra wrote: So these are now up, under the cunning title The 1985 San Francisco pics. Please don't make me hyperlink the post, it's in Sister Chat.

Thanks for the help, I've learned a new 'skill' and aged 10 years in the process :D
Wonderful ... ;D ;D ;D ... THANK YOU !!! ... :notworthy: ;D :notworthy: ;D :notworthy: ;D :notworthy: ...

* btw, that feeling of having aged is only some slight exhaustion, the effects of which will work like a fountain of youth the more often you practise ... ;D :lol: ;D ...
Mothra

Being645 wrote:
Mothra wrote: So these are now up, under the cunning title The 1985 San Francisco pics. Please don't make me hyperlink the post, it's in Sister Chat.

Thanks for the help, I've learned a new 'skill' and aged 10 years in the process :D
Wonderful ... ;D ;D ;D ... THANK YOU !!! ... :notworthy: ;D :notworthy: ;D :notworthy: ;D :notworthy: ...

* btw, that feeling of having aged is only some slight exhaustion, the effects of which will work like a fountain of youth the more often you practise ... ;D :lol: ;D ...
And after all that, the photos turn out to be from the New York Ritz show on 7th June! Confirmed by the photographer.

However, on this day in 1997, the Sisters were playing the second of two nights at the Brixton Academy. Can anyone share the full recording, I only have the edited version?

The Brixton shows might mark the last time that the Sisters were still a genuine commercial force in the UK. The next year was a two night stand at the Forum by way of London gigs. The Forum holds less than half the capacity of Brixton.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Yeah, 1997 was clearly a caesura somehow ... ending with that enormous Rendsburg Supercrash gig

and its incredible encores with that very long medley... and Jolene at the end ... *sigh ...

Oh, and as to Brixton, 10 June 97 ... http://tours.tsom.org/1997dot/concerts/19970610.htm ... :)

P.S.: Check your PMs
Mothra

Being645 wrote:Yeah, 1997 was clearly a caesura somehow ... ending with that enormous Rendsburg Supercrash gig

and its incredible encores with that very long medley... and Jolene at the end ... *sigh ...

Oh, and as to Brixton, 10 June 97 ... http://tours.tsom.org/1997dot/concerts/19970610.htm ... :)

P.S.: Check your PMs
The support band for the Brixton gigs is referred to be as being Jolt. I was on their mailing list back then, and buying their EPs and singles (they never did an album). I'm fairly certain that they didn't play those shows, there was some minor set-to about them making references to goths etc. But I'm trying to dredge up 20 year old memories.

Jolt were led by Mark Keds, formerly of the Senseless Things. I can't imagine them going over to well with a Sisters audience. I was only following them as I was a massive fan of Senseless Things, I'm still not really sure if I ever liked them. He is pretty active on Facebook, and seems to have quite a good recollection of those times.

Worth tapping him up, or a step too far into the anecdotal?

and thanks:notworthy:
Pista
Cureboi

One of my fondest memories from that Brixton show was when my (then) GF, who had a bit of a cold, asked a girl in front of us if she could have a tissue.
The girl handed her a toilet roll from her bag.
That, it itself, was amusing, but once my GF had torn a few sheets off & attempted to hand it back, she dropped it.
Because the venue has a raked floor, it rolled down the slope & my GF went scurrying after it.
She emerged from the crowd after a few moments with a really poorly re-rolled toilet roll that was about 3x the size of what it was originally & handed it back to the girl to put back in her bag.
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
czuczu
Overbomber

Those Brixton shows - on the 9th a lot of people left shaking their heads, they didn't go down well at all - it was the first time I vowed enough was enough.

The next night, I went anyway and bought a ticket on the door - was better even if still not top form!
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Pista wrote:One of my fondest memories from that Brixton show was when my (then) GF, who had a bit of a cold, asked a girl in front of us if she could have a tissue.
The girl handed her a toilet roll from her bag.
That, it itself, was amusing, but once my GF had torn a few sheets off & attempted to hand it back, she dropped it.
Because the venue has a raked floor, it rolled down the slope & my GF went scurrying after it.
She emerged from the crowd after a few moments with a really poorly re-rolled toilet roll that was about 3x the size of what it was originally & handed it back to the girl to put back in her bag.
:lol:
:lol: :lol: Sounds like a story to use if you ever make it to Graham Norton's ejector chair.
An
Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:Tue, 05-Jun-1984 ... was the only June, 5th that The Sisters ever played a gig ... though it was well worth it... :D ...
Don´t want to spoil the Party, but wasn´t there the unconfirmed date from Boston Channel `85?
Mothra

I’m on holiday today, so the bare facts only! Dublin Red Box, 13th June 1997:-)
Being645
Above the Chemist

An wrote:
Being645 wrote:Tue, 05-Jun-1984 ... was the only June, 5th that The Sisters ever played a gig ... though it was well worth it... :D ...
Don´t want to spoil the Party, but wasn´t there the unconfirmed date from Boston Channel `85?
Oh yes.

Mothra wrote:I’m on holiday today, so the bare facts only! Dublin Red Box, 13th June 1997:-)
Indeed ... and also already in 1981 ... and 1992 ...
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

On this day, the Royal Albert Hall gig.

Was anyone here actually there? Care to share any memories? "Wake" is probably my favourite concert film ever.
Mothra

AdrenaChris wrote:On this day, the Royal Albert Hall gig.

Was anyone here actually there? Care to share any memories? "Wake" is probably my favourite concert film ever.
I've got it on now! It's one of my favourites too. There's definitely been posts on here about the show, but we are talking years and years ago. What I recall from those threads is that The Sisters came on astonishingly early, to the point that many missed the start, and some people were arriving as the show 'finished' (most people there had left by the time that Andrew, Wayne and Craig came back on stage for one final encore). On the basis that the show wasn't sold out, I guess many arrived assuming they'd be on at 9ish and that they'd buy tickets on the door. But the tickets that are up on the Wiki page show that the doors opened at 6.45pm and that the start time was 7.30pm. I've been to shows at these kind of venues before and nearly been caught out by the way they present start times. 'Concert' or theatre venues tend to print a time that refers to the time that the main event takes to the stage, whilst gigs seem to focus more on what time the doors open.

There were many rumours that Gary was going to return for the show, and the fog was so thick that it took a while to realise that he had not in fact shown up. On the old Ghost Dance forum, Gary (or do we call him Mark nowadays?) said he had been invited to rejoin, but after much thought he decided not to. Incidentally, today is also his birthday.

Some memories of other people's memories, as I was busy being an 8 year old schoolboy when this was taking place.
Last edited by Mothra on 18 Jun 2018, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Mothra wrote:
AdrenaChris wrote:On this day, the Royal Albert Hall gig.

I've got it on now! It's one of my favourites too. There's definitely been posts on here about the show, but we are talking years and years ago. What I recall from those threads is that The Sisters came on astonishingly early, to the point that many missed the start, and some people were arriving as the show 'finished' (most people there had left by the time that Andrew, Wayne and Craig came back on stage for one final encore). On the basis that the show wasn't sold out, I guess many arrived assuming they'd be on at 9ish and that they'd buy tickets on the door. But the tickets that are up on the Wiki page show that the doors opened at 6.45pm and that the start time was 7.30pm. I've been to shows at these kind of venues before and nearly been caught out by the way they present start times. 'Concert' or theatre venues tend to print a time that refers to the time that the main event takes to the stage, whilst gigs seem to focus more on what time the doors open.

There were many rumours that Gary was going to return for the show, and the fog was so thick that it took a while to realise that he had not in fact shown up. On the old Ghost Dance forum, Gary (or do we call him Mark nowadays?) said he had been invited to rejoin, but after much thought he decided not to. Incidentally, today is also his birthday.

Some memories of other people's memories, as I was busy being an 8 year old schoolboy when this was taking place.
Here is the bit that the SistersWiki compiled about that final show of the Armageddon Tour ... no mention is made of the rumours, though,
that Lemmy (of Motörhead) was present at the gig and convinced Andrew to return to the stage for the encore ...
Last edited by Being645 on 18 Jun 2018, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Mothra wrote:You're so quick! I've just finished editing my post, only to see the original one quoted here :lol:
... :lol: ... just coincidence ... and mended ... :D ...

btw, that concert at the Royal Albert Hall was the first and the last June 18th that The Sisters of Mercy ever played a show ... and also the only time ever they played at the RAH ...

Isn't there anything about it on the Teenage Sistersfan blog?
Swinnow
Overbomber

I was at RAH, an advantage of huge age :lol:

One memory is quite a delay before the last tunes, my friends assumed Andrew had broken :)
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....