Gift reissue plus extras

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
czuczu
Overbomber

Doesn't look like there's any contractual obligation to do something.
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Cadiz newsletter just in via email, says (beneath a thumbnail pic of the Gift album cover)

"We're working on it... we really are...trust us..."
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Yep, just got that as well. At least they're acknowledging it's still out there... I was expecting it to sink without a trace!
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

northwalesstokie wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 14:55 Thanks for the welcome and the info. I did email Cadiz records about a reissue and their reply made me chuckle.... "Hi yes, still planned. Just waiting for Mr Eldritch to decide to actually get moving to do something"
Nice job. So that's not happening.

But maybe he's just waiting until he's done with new songs, and on that front he's quite busy!
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
ruffers
Overbomber

If it had the Fatboy Slim remix.......
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
ruffers
Overbomber

Cadiz email today about other stuff ends with...

The Sisterhood - Gift
Wer'e working on it....we really are.. trust us...
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
DJElectricDaddy
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

ruffers wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 21:26 Cadiz email today about other stuff ends with...

The Sisterhood - Gift
Wer'e working on it....we really are.. trust us...
Yeah that’s been there for months......MONTHS. This is dead in the water
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Moderate Mick
Road Kill

Maybe someone should show Cadiz the BBC sessions stuff that has come out digitally and the soon to be Record Store Day release.
Maybe it will incentivise them?
Swinnow
Overbomber

I find it just as painful watching the 'faith' drain from newer converts. Masochism for the Masses.

Same as it ever was, you get used to it. Have a listen to 'Vision Thing', that's always amusing.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Electrochrome

Moderate Mick wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 13:11 Maybe someone should show Cadiz the BBC sessions stuff that has come out digitally and the soon to be Record Store Day release.
I assume AE sees some money from the BBC session releases (both digital and limited LP)? And I assume the label (Warner) was the driving force behind the release?

For heaven's sake, can they release the damn BBC sessions on Amazon.com in the USA? I'm sitting here with my money, I am tired of subpar bootleg recordings and YouTube. I am more than happy to OWN the music!
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Electrochrome wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 16:07
Moderate Mick wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 13:11 Maybe someone should show Cadiz the BBC sessions stuff that has come out digitally and the soon to be Record Store Day release.
I assume AE sees some money from the BBC session releases (both digital and limited LP)?

I'm not sure he will. Didn't he flog the rights to the songs back when "Some Girls.." was released? In which case he'll get nowt now.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Todashi

I'd be surprised if Von sees any cash from anything that happens on a streaming platform or in a record shop. I think there's a reason that he's toured so relentlessly for the last 20 years and it's unlikely to be because he likes the buffet breakfasts in Travel Inns.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

To my knowledge the only thing he kept rights to was the Reptile House stuff
Goths have feelings too
czuczu
Overbomber

I thought he sold the master rights, not the publishing rights? So he has no control over what gets re-released but he does get still get the publishing income as songwriter which would include physical releases, streams etc.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

czuczu wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 21:51 I thought he sold the master rights, not the publishing rights? So he has no control over what gets re-released but he does get still get the publishing income as songwriter which would include physical releases, streams etc.
Yes that's what I thought too
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
czuczu
Overbomber

Matches what Wayne was saying in his book about switching the songwriting credits for Blood Money and B&S - I got the impression he still sees the occasional tuppence for that. (although not the mega millions that B&S generates!)
Swinnow
Overbomber

Yeah, the old 'b' side credit will be nowhere near as 'lucrative' as in days of yore. Amazing foresight by the devious overlord.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Todashi wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:38 I'd be surprised if Von sees any cash from anything that happens on a streaming platform or in a record shop. I think there's a reason that he's toured so relentlessly for the last 20 years and it's unlikely to be because he likes the buffet breakfasts in Travel Inns.
As much as I like Spotify, I don't think many musicians actually make any money out of it (and streaming services in general). Julianne Regen once posted on Facebook that she'd just received a royalty cheque for something daft like fifty pence (I can't find the original quote sadly) for a gazillion streams of "Martha's Harbour"
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Pista
Cureboi

ribbons69 wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 09:05
Todashi wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 10:38 I'd be surprised if Von sees any cash from anything that happens on a streaming platform or in a record shop. I think there's a reason that he's toured so relentlessly for the last 20 years and it's unlikely to be because he likes the buffet breakfasts in Travel Inns.
As much as I like Spotify, I don't think many musicians actually make any money out of it (and streaming services in general). Julianne Regen once posted on Facebook that she'd just received a royalty cheque for something daft like fifty pence (I can't find the original quote sadly) for a gazillion streams of "Martha's Harbour"
This is true. The streaming model is a disgrace.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I wonder how much they got for *that* Top Of The Pops appearance :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Swinnow
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 09:27 I wonder how much they got for *that* Top Of The Pops appearance :lol:
If only the saintly Ms Regan got repeat fees with the slew of 80's review shows infesting UK television at the moment.
Electrochrome

czuczu wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 21:51 I thought he sold the master rights, not the publishing rights? So he has no control over what gets re-released but he does get still get the publishing income as songwriter which would include physical releases, streams etc.
I believe you're exactly right, good summary. Indeed, if he had the publishing rights, we'd never even see reissues.
Electrochrome

Pista wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 09:10
ribbons69 wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 09:05
This is true. The streaming model is a disgrace.
For artists it's a complete joke, and even for Spotify...how long did it even take them to turn any kind of profit? Somehow the stock is trading close to $300/share!
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Swinnow wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 09:31 If only the saintly Ms Regan got repeat fees with the slew of 80's review shows infesting UK television at the moment.
from what she was saying to me (and others) Julianne gets fuck all.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
DJElectricDaddy
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

Here’s a thought, if everyone who hates Spotify actually stopped using it maybe, just maybe, they’d lose a ton of users, their stock would plummet and the might die and go away. But hey, laziness rules.
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning