2023-05-10. The Fillmore DC, Silver Spring, MD

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
Pista
Cureboi

Roll Call
@sultan2075
@Petseri
@Dan Cougar

Set list with thanks to @FireInReptileHouse :notworthy:

Don't Drive on Ice
Ribbons
Crash and Burn
Alice
I Will Call You
First and Last and Always
But Genevieve
Dominion
Giving Ground
Marian
More
Show Me
Doctor Jeep/Detonation Boulevard
Eyes of Caligula
Something Fast
I Was Wrong
Here
Instrumental 86
On the Beach
When I'm On Fire
------------------------------
Lucretia My Reflection
Temple Of Love
This Corrosion
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sultan2075
Overbomber

Aye, I'll be there.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Petseri
Overbomber

Pencilled in for me as well.
Dan Cougar
Road Kill

Tried to see them once on the Event horizon tour I believe, and they cancelled after I'd made the three and a half hour trip.
This show is not only kicking off a tour but it's also on my birthday. Tickets already purchased, I do plan on being there.
Can't believe how many folks have expressed an interest in going since I announced my intentions to attend. I guess I still keep good company. 8)
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @Dan Cougar and welcome to :hl: :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sultan2075
Overbomber

For anyone who doesn't know the area, Quarry House Tavern isn't a bad place for a pre-show drink. It's downstairs on the corner of Georgia Ave. and Bonifant, a short walk from the venue.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Dan Cougar
Road Kill

Pista wrote: 18 Apr 2023, 10:06 Hello @Dan Cougar and welcome to :hl: :D
Thank you! Not a complete stranger to this forum, just never participated before now.
Sisters have been my favorite band since I first heard them, and I really enjoyed watching them roll out new material when things started getting back to normal. Really digging this new stuff, and never dreamed 6 mos ago I'd have tickets to an upcoming show!
Dan Cougar
Road Kill

sultan2075 wrote: 20 Apr 2023, 02:07 For anyone who doesn't know the area, Quarry House Tavern isn't a bad place for a pre-show drink. It's downstairs on the corner of Georgia Ave. and Bonifant, a short walk from the venue.
That is super useful info. Maybe you'll be there? It's my birthday, but my plan was to do the show like a surgical strike - get in, take care of business, get out. But now that I have a recommendation for libations I can already taste the Jameson.
So, if this happens, we're coming from about 3 and a half hours away. Morgantown WV. And we may try to caravan with some peeps passing through there from Marietta OH, best case scenario.
Ample parking within walking distance?
I already bought the tickets so if I don't make it it won't be for lack of trying.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Dan Cougar wrote: 20 Apr 2023, 08:29
sultan2075 wrote: 20 Apr 2023, 02:07 For anyone who doesn't know the area, Quarry House Tavern isn't a bad place for a pre-show drink. It's downstairs on the corner of Georgia Ave. and Bonifant, a short walk from the venue.
That is super useful info. Maybe you'll be there? It's my birthday, but my plan was to do the show like a surgical strike - get in, take care of business, get out. But now that I have a recommendation for libations I can already taste the Jameson.
So, if this happens, we're coming from about 3 and a half hours away. Morgantown WV. And we may try to caravan with some peeps passing through there from Marietta OH, best case scenario.
I already bought the tickets so if I don't make it it won't be for lack of trying.
I think there are a couple of big public garages in downtown Silver Spring, but I can't say for sure (my preferred mode of transport to everything but work is Metro and the ol' shoe-leather express). But in general my impression is that Montgomery County is pretty good about having public parking (not always free) in their downtown areas.

I figure I'll probably drop in beforehand, yeah.

Has there been any news about an opening act?
--
sultan2075
Overbomber

Ugh. Got a bit of a sore throat and losing my voice. Hopefully it's just allergies exacerbated by the weather we're having in the mid-Atlantic, I really don't want to miss them again (last time I had tickets to see them in the Netherlands and then... Covid).
--
sultan2075
Overbomber

sultan2075 wrote: 03 May 2023, 00:33 Ugh. Got a bit of a sore throat and losing my voice. Hopefully it's just allergies exacerbated by the weather we're having in the mid-Atlantic, I really don't want to miss them again (last time I had tickets to see them in the Netherlands and then... Covid).
Glad to say I'm not sick, and I'll probably stop by Quarry House for a drink beforehand. I'll be the guy with the long reddish-brown-depending-on-the-light hair (not very helpful I'm sure) and the black cherry iguana-skin cowboy boots.
--
Petseri
Overbomber

Dan Cougar wrote: 20 Apr 2023, 08:29
Wayne Avenue Garage is basically between the Filmore and the Quarry House. It is big, maybe six levels, so you will find parking. Maybe a buck per hour. The Filmore and the Quarry House are maybe 10 minutes apart by foot.

My wife and I will try to meet up ahead of time. I will have on my myheartland shirt so I will be somewhat recognizable.
Pista
Cureboi

Have a great time tonight everyone
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Enjoy the show tonight everyone going. Will look forward to YouTube videos in the morning.

Actually, come to think of it, what time are the Sisters on stage tonight in the US, and what time GMT? Maybe there'll be videos to look at before bed tonight?
Being645
Above the Chemist

Good morning everyone over there ... :) ...
Wishing you a most wonderful gig with loads of exciting new tracks full of joy, fun and pleasure tonight ... :D :D :D ...
Pista
Cureboi

Todashi wrote: 10 May 2023, 13:11 Actually, come to think of it, what time are the Sisters on stage tonight in the US, and what time GMT? Maybe there'll be videos to look at before bed tonight?
If they start at 9pm ish, then that's 2am BST
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote: 10 May 2023, 14:43 If they start at 9pm ish, then that's 2am BST
Okay, it'll be morning coffee and YouTube then. Thanks!
iesus
Overbomber

Few hours left. Have a good one, those that attend :D
:bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Aye have a great time ya lucky sods! :D :notworthy:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

Lots of fun and a brilliant time over there! :D
Lots of new new new songs and a Von with a strong voice.
Take care!
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hope the tour gets off to a great start
Have fun those who are lucky enough to be there
:D
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
Petseri
Overbomber

Quarry House is full and not letting anyone else in. Hope to see you at the Filmore
sultan2075
Overbomber

Petseri wrote: 11 May 2023, 00:29 Quarry House is full and not letting anyone else in. Hope to see you at the Filmore
I’m sorry I missed you - I got there around 6:30 and ran into some old friends. We went back to QH after the gig, but it was too packed, so I called an Uber home.

For those interested, good crowd for a Wednesday night in a company town. Band was on fire. My friend, who had never seen them before, was ecstatic. They really were great tonight - except for the usual. I did not realize how much Ben carries the vocal! Von was audible in the early parts of the set, and, to my ears, sounded good. But he soon became inaudible. Still, a great show, and it drove home how great the new stuff is. If only a record, yadda yadda yadda. Nothing new in the setlist - but they tore it up.

The opening band, Blacklist, was… forgettable. That’s actually worse than being bad in my book. They were dull. It was like a Bauhaus cover band made up of guys from Kinko’s middle-management. If the opening act is meant to make the headliner look good, these guys did.

As for merch... well... the only new shirt was the old "To The Planet Edge" shirt (I've got a long-sleeve somewhere, purchased in San Francisco), except now at it says" At the Planet Edge" and has the 2023 dates, and is a short-sleeve.
Last edited by sultan2075 on 11 May 2023, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.
--
Wilkstein
Road Kill

What was the setlist like?
Petseri
Overbomber

As I have done in the past, I will post something listing thoughts which come to mind, but I need to get ready for tomorrow. Suffice to say for now I enjoyed the Christo of Mercy concert.