2023-10-08. E-Werk, Köln DE

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

Gig cancelled. Von's ill
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

For context: VirginMarys played their regular set. Announcement on stage came very late, citing illness on AE‘s side
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
somercy
Road Kill

So sorry

What Happens ?
All are ready and now cancelt

😕🥲
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Sorry, but you can‘t handle it this way. I can‘t imagine he felt ill only 5 minutes before he had to come on stage.
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Cedarjet wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 20:52 I can‘t imagine he felt ill only 5 minutes before he had to come on stage.

Probably not, but with a hall full of people he probably hoped he could soldier on...
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Pista
Cureboi

Well, I do hope he recovers from whatever ails him.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ruffers
Overbomber

Pista wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 21:25 Well, I do hope he recovers from whatever ails him.
Indeed. And it does take longer to recover, the older we get. The pressure to perform Vs look after yourself must be immense.

Get well soon :von:
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Venus
Amphetamine Filth

May he get well soon.
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Erudite wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 21:22
Cedarjet wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 20:52 I can‘t imagine he felt ill only 5 minutes before he had to come on stage.

Probably not, but with a hall full of people he probably hoped he could soldier on...
Sorry,this is no excuse…
(Homer Simpson)
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Bad news, can imagine and understand the frustration amongst the frustrated folk at the gig, 100%, but first and foremost, get well soon :von:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

ruffers wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 22:02
Pista wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 21:25 Well, I do hope he recovers from whatever ails him.
Indeed. And it does take longer to recover, the older we get. The pressure to perform Vs look after yourself must be immense.

No disagreement here, of course I wish him all the best. But how everything was handled today was extremely unprofessional.
(Homer Simpson)
Gothicbiff
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Planet Dave wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 22:22 Bad news, can imagine and understand the frustration amongst the frustrated folk at the gig, 100%, but first and foremost, get well soon :von:
Absolutely agree Dave. Had I been in the audience I would have been gutted. But Andrew's health is way more important. I really hope it's nothing serious :von:
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
Being645
Above the Chemist

Cedarjet wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 22:25

No disagreement here, of course I wish him all the best. But how everything was handled today was extremely unprofessional.
I wouldn't say so. But I'm in a different position. For me it was the first and one and only gig I could attend this year. And it was so pleasing to get into the venue, to meet and talk with all of you I know eventually once again, to see all the lovely unknown people in the audience, to watch The Virginmarys do their opening slot, to listen to the long and ever longer intro, which offered varieties of sounds I'd never heard before at a Sisters gig ... and then the speaker appeared to tell us that Andrew indeed is too unwell to do the show... hell, I hope he gets well soon and sound and the band fall on their feet again. For me it was a lovely evening I definitely can't complain about, even under these worrying circumstances, and I send all my best wishes to Andrew and The Sisters.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

no doubt the gig being cancelled was a gutter for a lot of you but come on now- the man has hardly ever cancelled gigs due to his own health. he has gone on stage with broken ribs and near pneumonia in the past so give him a break hes almost 65 ffs! when the water tank burst and brought the roof in at rock city it wass almost cancelled permanently6 on the strength of how awfully violent the crowd had been a couple of days before! at least you know this will 99.9% be rescheduled. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 05:55 no doubt the gig being cancelled was a gutter for a lot of you but come on now- the man has hardly ever cancelled gigs due to his own health. he has gone on stage with broken ribs and near pneumonia in the past so give him a break hes almost 65 ffs! when the water tank burst and brought the roof in at rock city it wass almost cancelled permanently6 on the strength of how awfully violent the crowd had been a couple of days before! at least you know this will 99.9% be rescheduled. :von:
Again, I don‘ t complain about the fact THAT it was cancelled. Everybody has the right to be too ill to work. It‘s how it has been handled which in my opinion was not ok.
(Homer Simpson)
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 03:30

I wouldn't say so. But I'm in a different position. For me it was the first and one and only gig I could attend this year. And it was so pleasing to get into the venue, to meet and talk with all of you I know eventually once again, to see all the lovely unknown people in the audience, to watch The Virginmarys do their opening slot, to listen to the long and ever longer intro, which offered varieties of sounds I'd never heard before at a Sisters gig ... and then the speaker appeared to tell us that Andrew indeed is too unwell to do the show... hell, I hope he gets well soon and sound and the band fall on their feet again. For me it was a lovely evening I definitely can't complain about, even under these worrying circumstances, and I send all my best wishes to Andrew and The Sisters.
Sorry, with all respect to your enduring and steady support for AE and what he‘s doing. That he‘s got a health issue was clear since Berlin, and you can‘t tell me that they only knew at 9 pm that he couldn‘t perform. Cancel it beforehand so everybody can stay home and we get a replacement date later. But like this, also considering people spent money on travel, drinks and merch? Sorry, no. Hope Andrew takes his time for recovery (no more fruitless attempts in the next few days pls) and gets really well.
(Homer Simpson)
mh
Above the Chemist

Cedarjet wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 07:45

Sorry, with all respect to your enduring and steady support for AE and what he‘s doing. That he‘s got a health issue was clear since Berlin, and you can‘t tell me that they only knew at 9 pm that he couldn‘t perform. Cancel it beforehand so everybody can stay home and we get a replacement date later. But like this, also considering people spent money on travel, drinks and merch? Sorry, no. Hope Andrew takes his time for recovery (no more fruitless attempts in the next few days pls) and gets really well.
That's being very uncharitable. Think for a minute about what you just said.

We don't know what kind of health issue he has. He may have had a sudden heart attack for all we know. There's no cause to give him or the band jipp over this. As Lee has pointed out, if Von can play on he will, and that should be enough to tell you that it was both serious and sudden.

Right now the most important thing is Von's health. It's understandable being frustrated at cancelled gigs, but it's not OK to take such a negative reading of the cause or the way it was done. This band isn't Morrissey, Guns & Roses or the Nephs, so be sure that they don't arbitrarily cancel at the last moment without having good reason.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 08:35

That's being very uncharitable. Think for a minute about what you just said.

We don't know what kind of health issue he has. He may have had a sudden heart attack for all we know. There's no cause to give him or the band jipp over this. As Lee has pointed out, if Von can play on he will, and that should be enough to tell you that it was both serious and sudden.

Right now the most important thing is Von's health. It's understandable being frustrated at cancelled gigs, but it's not OK to take such a negative reading of the cause or the way it was done. This band isn't Morrissey, Guns & Roses or the Nephs, so be sure that they don't arbitrarily cancel at the last moment without having good reason.
If it‘s THAT serious you can be sure I will be the first one to retract and apologize. As I said earlier I just hope he doesn’t just try again and again without success but instead tries recover in a decent way. Even of this means to cancel dates or the entire tour. But in advance with decent communication.
(Homer Simpson)
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

sorry it was cancelled but indeed my best wishes go out to Von hope you get better soon.
it's crazy how many people are sick at the moment with covid doing it's rounds again and also the flu which hit me for a ball of s**t last week.
so Von take care of yourself and get as much rest possible!
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Dust Witch
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 08:35 As Lee has pointed out, if Von can play on he will
And this is where he's run into problems before. The sensible thing to do would be to cancel or postpone the lot until the issue is solved - most acts would. We know from experience Eldritch will keep going until he's completely unable to. Last minute (and 30 minute in...) cancellations suck, but I understand why they happen - it costs them money to pull out of a performance, he's too stubborn to give in and generally has issues prioritising his own health. That's not a good thing, but it is what it is.
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 15:59
Icon wrote: 08 Oct 2023, 11:31 All of you who are going- have lots of fun and a great concert! :)
I thought Hannover and Hamburg were good. Haven’t written more yet because I caught a bad cold and have been lying in bed since :(.
Hope Andrew is feeling good again and up to giving you a great night!
Oh hell, get well soon ... :kiss: ...

And many thanks for the short impressions and the good wishes... ;D ;D ;D ...
Thank you very much. Turns out my „cold“ is Covid too. :urff:
Just glad I didn’t attempt to go to Leipzig and spread it all around.
So sorry the gig got cancelled. But glad you enjoyed the part that happened anyway. :)
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

I realise that you’re disappointed and may have spent a lot of time and money on getting there. But these things happen. I once had the same experience with Peter Murphy in Hamburg.
But as everyone else already said, health is most important.

And it’s not that easy to cancel a show or a tour because you decide you don’t feel well. In order to not be liable for compensation for the costs of a cancelled show, a doctor must confirm that you’re unable to perform.
We don’t know when that happened.

Anyway also very worried about Von‘s health. And I wish him a quick and thorough recovery. And keeping my fingers crossed that all of you, who plan to go the rest of the tour, will be able to see them.
Despite all the slagging off in the German media I think they were really good.
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

things can happen on short notice, even with developments obvious since Berlin things can happen without a warning.
Neverthelss, a proper entity, eg a band, would communicate properly, at least after an incident. This is the annoying point and does not shed any nice light onto them.

Hope he gets well soon.
love is just a shot away
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

jost 7 wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 20:20 things can happen on short notice, even with developments obvious since Berlin things can happen without a warning.
Neverthelss, a proper entity, eg a band, would communicate properly, at least after an incident. This is the annoying point and does not shed any nice light onto them.

Hope he gets well soon.
That‘s exactly my point.
(Homer Simpson)
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Cedarjet wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 20:26
jost 7 wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 20:20 things can happen on short notice, even with developments obvious since Berlin things can happen without a warning.

Hope he gets well soon.
That‘s exactly my point.
Got to agree with that.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.