2023-11-16 KK's Steel Mill, Wolverhampton UK

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Already announced on the venue's website.

Tickets from Thursday, 13 April 2023, 10:00am @ticketweb

ROLL CALL:

@ribbons69
@SmileySister ?
@OLDFART
@Charlie
@Planet Dave
@Damaged+Done
@Europa
@PixC

setlist:
Doctor Jeep/Detonation Boulevard
Don't Drive on Ice
Ribbons
Alice
Summer
Dominion/Mother Russia
I Will Call You
Marian
Giving Ground
Eyes of Caligula
More
But Genevieve
I Was Wrong
Here
On The Beach
When I'm on Fire

encore:
Lucretia, My Reflection
Temple of Love
This Corrosion
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Owned by former Judas Priest axeman K.K Downing. Not been there yet. First Wolverhampton gig since 2003's smoke alarm bothering show on the Smoke and Mirrors tour I believe
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Ticket purchased.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"

we fall to rise
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

I've just noticed the title of the thread is wrong.
It should be 2023 -11-16

we fall to rise
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I really like this venue so I hope to be at this one :)
OLDFART

Tkt bought for this , as the venue is owned by K.K. Downing i look forward to the Sisters version of Breaking the law....
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

OLDFART wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 08:27 Tkt bought for this , as the venue is owned by K.K. Downing i look forward to the Sisters version of Breaking the law....
:lol: Ought to be obligatory for every turn that plays there!
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
OLDFART

Planet Dave wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 08:30
OLDFART wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 08:27 Tkt bought for this , as the venue is owned by K.K. Downing i look forward to the Sisters version of Breaking the law....
If Von breaks out the leather trousers again he would pass for Rob Halford ......

Every one I know who's been there says it's a brilliant venue .
Fallon
Road Kill

You can actually get from Priest to Sisters in three degrees of separation. Both bands have a song in which they share a co-writing credit with the late great producer Chris Tsangarides (Priest's "Touch Of Evil" and "When You Don't See Me").

If that's too much of a cop-out and you want something more nerdy, both bands covered a song whose original studio recording was produced by Jimmy Miller ("Gimme Shelter" and "Better By You, Better Than Me")

If you want something even more tenuous, Judas Priest's drummer in the 1980s, Dave Holland, played on the "DEP Sessions" that Tony Iommi did, which was bootlegged for years but eventually 'officially' released sans Holland's drum tracks, because he'd been convicted for sex offenses by then. Also on that record (bootleg and official release) is Neil Murray, who played on a couple of Gary Moore records. Eldritch does some uncredited backing vocals on another different Gary Moore record.

If you want something less stupid and less sex-offendery:

Sisters cover the great Larry Wallis track "Police Car" occasionally, to say nothing of the fact that Lucas Fox was around during The Sisterhood. That's two separate connections to the "On Parole" Motorhead lineup. Setting aside the fact that Motorhead covered Breaking The Law later on with a different lineup, you can also connect the Sisters and Motorhead by the fact that each has a former member who joined the MC5 as a live member (Wallis did it in the late 70s). What's Motorhead got to do with Judas Priest, you ask? Well, Rob Halford plays on Philip Campbell's solo record. Plus they've toured together a whole bunch.

So there you go.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Fallon wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 11:20
You can actually get from Priest to Sisters in three degrees of separation. Both bands have a song in which they share a co-writing credit with the late great producer Chris Tsangarides (Priest's "Touch Of Evil" and "When You Don't See Me").

If that's too much of a cop-out and you want something more nerdy, both bands covered a song whose original studio recording was produced by Jimmy Miller ("Gimme Shelter" and "Better By You, Better Than Me")

If you want something even more tenuous, Judas Priest's drummer in the 1980s, Dave Holland, played on the "DEP Sessions" that Tony Iommi did, which was bootlegged for years but eventually 'officially' released sans Holland's drum tracks, because he'd been convicted for sex offenses by then. Also on that record (bootleg and official release) is Neil Murray, who played on a couple of Gary Moore records. Eldritch does some uncredited backing vocals on another different Gary Moore record.

If you want something less stupid and less sex-offendery:

Sisters cover the great Larry Wallis track "Police Car" occasionally, to say nothing of the fact that Lucas Fox was around during The Sisterhood. That's two separate connections to the "On Parole" Motorhead lineup. Setting aside the fact that Motorhead covered Breaking The Law later on with a different lineup, you can also connect the Sisters and Motorhead by the fact that each has a former member who joined the MC5 as a live member (Wallis did it in the late 70s). What's Motorhead got to do with Judas Priest, you ask? Well, Rob Halford plays on Philip Campbell's solo record. Plus they've toured together a whole bunch.

So there you go.
Or, Ben Christo plays on the new Esprit D'Air single along side former Judas Priest vocalist Tim Owens.

we fall to rise
Fallon
Road Kill

And current KK's Priest vocalist, at that.
Marian12
Road Kill

ribbons69 wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 16:02 Or, Ben Christo plays on the new Esprit D'Air single along side former Judas Priest vocalist Tim Owens.
To add to that, Kai from Esprit D'Air is also the new Sisters of Mercy guitarist since Würzburg.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Marian12 wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 23:57
ribbons69 wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 16:02 Or, Ben Christo plays on the new Esprit D'Air single along side former Judas Priest vocalist Tim Owens.
To add to that, Kai from Esprit D'Air is also the new Sisters of Mercy guitarist since Würzburg.
Thank you, but I was aware.

we fall to rise
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

In a burst of spontaneity, myself and Charlie are now booked for this one too, tickets and hotel are in the bag. Fkng YES!!! :D :D :D
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Pista
Cureboi

Marian12 wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 23:57
Hello & welcome to :hl: :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Damaged+Done
Road Kill

Ticket bought! Had agonised for so long that everything else was sold out.
Last time I was in Birmingham for The Sisters was '92!
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

OLDFART wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 08:38
Planet Dave wrote: 17 Oct 2023, 08:30
If Von breaks out the leather trousers again he would pass for Rob Halford ......

Every one I know who's been there says it's a brilliant venue .
Just needs to ride onstage on a Harley and it's game on! ;D probably every band that plays there requests they be allowed to do that, to the chagrin of Mr Downing who has a stage and venue to look after :lol:
OLDFART

Tkt arrived yesterday and it's always nicer having a real tkt :D .
Europa
Amphetamine Filth

Damaged+Done wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 20:37 Ticket bought! Had agonised for so long that everything else was sold out.
Last time I was in Birmingham for The Sisters was '92!
Husband and I did the same! Looking forward to it though :D
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Life is full of new experiences, after 54 years of it I'll be arriving in Wolverhampton for the first time this coming Thursday. We're staying at the Novotel, which looks to the untrained eye like quite a distance to the Steel Mill. Does anyone know if there are any decent places near the venue to get a sensible meal and ideally a pint to wash it down, or would we be better heading into the city centre (seemingly north of the ring rd)? It looks like there ain't much around the vicinity of the venue, on googlemaps at least. Any insider info much appreciated :)
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 12:25 Life is full of new experiences, after 54 years of it I'll be arriving in Wolverhampton for the first time this coming Thursday. We're staying at the Novotel, which looks to the untrained eye like quite a distance to the Steel Mill. Does anyone know if there are any decent places near the venue to get a sensible meal and ideally a pint to wash it down, or would we be better heading into the city centre (seemingly north of the ring rd)? It looks like there ain't much around the vicinity of the venue, on googlemaps at least. Any insider info much appreciated :)
It does seem to be out in the middle of nowhere. I'm staying at the Premier Inn next to the railway station and Google says it's a twenty minute walk. I was hoping to get the tram out there but the nearest tram stop is still thirteen minutes walk. I'm a couple of year's older than you and my arthritis is bloody murder at the moment so I'm just going to taxi/uber it there and back. At least my Bristol hotel is apparently really close to the venue.

we fall to rise
OLDFART

Planet Dave wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 12:25 Life is full of new experiences, after 54 years of it I'll be arriving in Wolverhampton for the first time this coming Thursday. We're staying at the Novotel, which looks to the untrained eye like quite a distance to the Steel Mill. Does anyone know if there are any decent places near the venue to get a sensible meal and ideally a pint to wash it down, or would we be better heading into the city centre (seemingly north of the ring rd)? It looks like there ain't much around the vicinity of the venue, on googlemaps at least. Any insider info much appreciated :)
Gifford rock pub in the centre is where I'll be for a pint before and after , not been To the steel mill before as all the other gigs I've seen in wolves were at the Civic and Wulfun halls , can't wait for the gig ( hopefully !) .
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

ribbons69 wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 13:36 It does seem to be out in the middle of nowhere.
Wolverhampton? It does, dunnit ;D
OLDFART wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 13:55Gifford rock pub in the centre is where I'll be for a pint before and after , not been To the steel mill before as all the other gigs I've seen in wolves were at the Civic and Wulfun halls , can't wait for the gig ( hopefully !) .
No food there, just coffin tables :lol: but there does look to be somewhere good enough nearby for summat to eat. Then a 15-odd minute walk to the Steel Mill. Hmm, guess it's gonna depend on weather regarding walking or taxis.
OLDFART

Planet Dave wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 16:19
ribbons69 wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 13:36 It does seem to be out in the middle of nowhere.
Wolverhampton? It does, dunnit ;D
OLDFART wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 13:55Gifford rock pub in the centre is where I'll be for a pint before and after , not been To the steel mill before as all the other gigs I've seen in wolves were at the Civic and Wulfun halls , can't wait for the gig ( hopefully !) .
No food there, just coffin tables :lol: but there does look to be somewhere good enough nearby for summat to eat. Then a 15-odd minute walk to the Steel Mill. Hmm, guess it's gonna depend on weather regarding walking or taxis.
Not been Wolves for about 5 years but it's always good for gigs but more of a rock/metal town for me , will be getting cabs as I can't walk far , few pints and then get to the venue and snag one of those hoodies ......
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

OLDFART wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 16:46Not been Wolves for about 5 years but it's always good for gigs but more of a rock/metal town for me , will be getting cabs as I can't walk far , few pints and then get to the venue and snag one of those hoodies ......
A rock gig in a venue owned by an ex-Priest guitar legend in a rock/metal town.... sounds perfect 8)