2024-01-21. Carlswerk Viktoria, Köln DE

Are we still here!? Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2024 tour.
Pista
Cureboi

Rescheduled from
https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic ... 37&t=28881

Roll call

@sziamiau
@Being645
@feargel
@Cedarjet
@jenzi-benzi
@Victim of Circumstance
@dorak
@Jan

Setlist: With thanks to @Peter KJ :notworthy:

Doctor Jeep/Detonation Boulevard
Don't Drive on Ice
Ribbons
Alice
Summer
Dominion/ Mother Russia
I Will Call You
Marian
Giving Ground
Eyes of Caligula
More
But Genevieve
I Was Wrong
Here
When I'm On Fire
On The Beach
Temple Of Love

Encores

Lucretia, My Reflection
This Corrosion
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
dorak
Road Kill

Hi everyone, I'm looking for 2 tickets for this gig. Please let me know if you have something! Thank you :)
dorak
Road Kill

I got two tickets in the end but need to sell one of them. In case anybody is looking for one :)
Being645
Above the Chemist

Tonight ... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ...
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

Tonight, I'll be there :-)
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

Wish you all a very good time and I wish I was there :von: :von:!
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Have a great time folks :D
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Peter KJ
Amphetamine Filth

Same setlist as before. Nice gig. Will post some videos later.
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

Peter KJ wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 22:57 Same setlist as before. Nice gig. Will post some videos later.
Confirmed, same setlist. Lots of videos will follow tomorrow.

„Der Bus ist wieder da. — Und ihr seid wieder da!“
(After the first song.)
Last edited by Jan on 22 Jan 2024, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

It was really really good!
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
Being645
Above the Chemist

Peter KJ wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 22:57 Same setlist as before. Nice gig. Will post some videos later.
Seconded ... ;D ... and the first videos are coming up as well ... many thanks for that ... :notworthy: ...

Don't Drive On Ice - still a bit frosty but not for long ...

Alice, yeah, schepper ... ;D ...

This Corrosion ... it was absolutely a nice show, and there are plenty more videos already @You Tube,
but I'm very tired now and will rightfully fall asleep as soon as some basic page is done. Review tomorrow ... ;D ;D ;D ...
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

Here it comes ... I am also populating videos from me & other people on this playlist:

Jan
Amphetamine Filth

Not to forget:

Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: to you all 8)
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
barbaralesz
Road Kill

Amazing :D Thanks!
It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Wanted to write a review, but it's getting long. So let's start with the first parts ... the location and the Virginmarys ... and ...

The location, the Carlswerk Victoria Halle, is the larger piece of a relatively new double hall in the Carlswerk Quarter located on the former work grounds of cable manufacturers Felten & Guilleaume Carlswerk AG, who had produced in 1904 the first transatlantic telephone cable connecting Europe with North America. The E-Werk and the Palladium a few hundred metres round the corner, where The Sisters played several times before are, btw, also located on this old former industrial compound.

So first time to this new hall and I liked it. It has a capacity of around 1,800 and a good basic atmosphere. The staff were all very kind and friendly - my greetings to them - and in summer, there's a chance to sit and eat and drink outside between the two halls. The entire area was developed over the past decade into a very modern and exciting quarter with lots of different business, education, sports and cultural facilities including cafés, restaurants, hotels and car parks, really a gain for that part of the city on the otherwise often disparaged right bank of the river Rhine (historically well due to the fact that the realms of the Romans and later on of the Catholic archbishops as well as of the French invading Cologne always ended on the other riverbank... :twisted: ... But on to more important things...

Like in October, The Virginmarys went full power. Only this time I was well enough to enjoy all their set... :D ... It's so astonishing how they manage to unload such energy and what they make from the various inspirations they obviously gpt, melting sounds and rhythms and lyrics into such a rocking and danceable and exciting mixture. And that as a two-piece ... :eek: ... my full kudos to them... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ... And surely not only mine. All the people around looked happy and pleased and applauded when they said Good Bye and left the stage. Unfortunate for me, they didn't bring some more CDs with them which had sold out in October already shortly before I could grab one. But hell, I'll check on the webs.

The sound between the shows was not so varied as in October, rather like the mainly instrumental background track to some computer game, dark sounds indicating mysteries, sick and strange worlds and dangers. That's why I don't like computer games. Their sound is often either terribly plastic or designed to create some sort of dark excitement, impressions of walls and rooms and spaces without enough air to breathe ... not really my cuppa ... Fortunately, the lights would soon go down and The Sisters intro started ... ;D ;D ;D ...

More later ... I first need a meal now ... :) ...
H. Blackrose
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I note Kai playing electric rather than acoustic on "Here", and I'm not sure I like it
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
Being645
Above the Chemist

Some new video by [https://www.youtube.com/@Prof.Alibori Prof.Alibori] ... :) :notworthy: ...

Eventually, the start of the gig ... I was soo looking forward to it ... ;D ;D ;D ...

A pleasure again ... : :D ... though on the ground I had to take up with my body intrinsically willing to fall into dancing on the one hand and not being allowed and able to do so. A nasty disturbing irritation, but the synths were nice and floating and with Detonation Boulevard I had found some way to handle the mess... ;D ...

One of the new videos from [https://www.youtube.com/@justkphotography justk] ... :) :notworthy: ... There are a few more in her channel.
Yeah, that blue colour reminded me of the snow and the cold outside and of what dried opinions and reservations and wild imaginings can do.
I love self-control ... ;D 8) ...
An
Amphetamine Filth

Very glad You all could attend this gig yet still; especially You dear being. And thanks for the qualityjournal, where´s part 2;-).

Saw them last year in Vienna and noticed an unusually absence of phones before the stage which was very nice indeed (even if that means a lot less videos obviously).

Being645 wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 20:16 Wanted to write a review, but it's getting long. So let's start with the first parts ... the location and the Virginmarys ... and ...

The location, the Carlswerk Victoria Halle, is the larger piece of a relatively new double hall in the Carlswerk Quarter located on the former work grounds of cable manufacturers Felten & Guilleaume Carlswerk AG, who had produced in 1904 the first transatlantic telephone cable connecting Europe with North America. The E-Werk and the Palladium a few hundred metres round the corner, where The Sisters played several times before are, btw, also located on this old former industrial compound.

So first time to this new hall and I liked it. It has a capacity of around 1,800 and a good basic atmosphere. The staff were all very kind and friendly - my greetings to them - and in summer, there's a chance to sit and eat and drink outside between the two halls. The entire area was developed over the past decade into a very modern and exciting quarter with lots of different business, education, sports and cultural facilities including cafés, restaurants, hotels and car parks, really a gain for that part of the city on the otherwise often disparaged right bank of the river Rhine (historically well due to the fact that the realms of the Romans and later on of the Catholic archbishops as well as of the French invading Cologne always ended on the other riverbank... :twisted: ... But on to more important things...

Like in October, The Virginmarys went full power. Only this time I was well enough to enjoy all their set... :D ... It's so astonishing how they manage to unload such energy and what they make from the various inspirations they obviously gpt, melting sounds and rhythms and lyrics into such a rocking and danceable and exciting mixture. And that as a two-piece ... :eek: ... my full kudos to them... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ... And surely not only mine. All the people around looked happy and pleased and applauded when they said Good Bye and left the stage. Unfortunate for me, they didn't bring some more CDs with them which had sold out in October already shortly before I could grab one. But hell, I'll check on the webs.

The sound between the shows was not so varied as in October, rather like the mainly instrumental background track to some computer game, dark sounds indicating mysteries, sick and strange worlds and dangers. That's why I don't like computer games. Their sound is often either terribly plastic or designed to create some sort of dark excitement, impressions of walls and rooms and spaces without enough air to breathe ... not really my cuppa ... Fortunately, the lights would soon go down and The Sisters intro started ... ;D ;D ;D ...

More later ... I first need a meal now ... :) ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

Thanks An, and yes I can confirm there were less people with mobiles as in 2022, which was a bit extreme at times. Anyway, there were never so many that they really disturbed me ... :) ...

and as to Part II ... :lol: ... The Sisters show started already above with Dr Jeep/Detonation Boulevard and Don't Drive On Ice ... :D ... follwed now by

... Ribbons ... :D ... I love that song, the rhythm, the guitars, the implicate excitement ... :D ...
Today, though, I feel not up to any further inspirations, neither physically nor intellectually, but hell, I'm not here to justify some sort of essay to Teacher Eldritch and His Stick, but to e-n-j-o-y ... ;D ;D ;D ... the lights and the beautiful colours in the nets and the pillars ... ;D ... the clear sounds from The Doktor ... ;D ... the guitars ... ;D ... and hey, further on, towards the end, there were even some pretty ways coming over from the vocals, perfect ... ;D ;D ;D ...

and then Alice ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

... immediately starting with the disciplined rhythm schepper and the driving bass so common for the FALAA era and before ... ;D ;D ;D ... the speed is excitingly increased and it gets even better ... :D ... this time the song was - in my ears - performed more directly from the presence of the observer than from being concentrated on the, say subject ... astonishing, a long-cherished wish come true, though I'd never had any idea before how they could or would ever manage to get down from that very old pedestal, if at all ... extremely pleasing ... ;D ;D ;D ...
An
Amphetamine Filth

Thank You very much dear being for the passionate review.
eotunun
Overbomber

H. Blackrose wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 20:46 I note Kai playing electric rather than acoustic on "Here", and I'm not sure I like it
Kai was constantly handing guitars back and forth with the tech guy. It seems there were issues of some kind there. I think I saw him trying to wiggle the plug of the wireless transmittier to make contact on the Stratocaster he played often. There was quite a bit of on-stage improvisastion going on, but they coped great, it was a most entertaining end enjoyable gig for me. :notworthy:
There is shadow under this red rock
ruffers
Overbomber

eotunun wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 09:09
H. Blackrose wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 20:46 I note Kai playing electric rather than acoustic on "Here", and I'm not sure I like it
Kai was constantly handing guitars back and forth with the tech guy. It seems there were issues of some kind there. I think I saw him trying to wiggle the plug of the wireless transmittier to make contact on the Stratocaster he played often. There was quite a bit of on-stage improvisastion going on, but they coped great, it was a most entertaining end enjoyable gig for me. :notworthy:
Not again :roll:
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

ruffers wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 17:24 Not again :roll:
Nah … at one point during the gig (earlier on) it seemed like Von was asking Kai about it (my best guess after all the guitar swapping) and Kai just responded with two thumbs up and played on.