Bug reports, quirks and other broken stuff

For you to give feedback to the Heartland moderators. Wish lists, fault reports, etc. You may get an answer, you may not. As in all things, it largely depends on how nicely you ask the people in charge... You're welcome.
Pista
Cureboi

iesus wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 14:36 I am testing it with @Pista cause it's easy to remember :lol: :lol: ;D
Does it work? :notworthy: :bat:
@iesus Yep. I got a little notification at the top of the page :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
iesus
Overbomber

Pista wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 14:39
iesus wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 14:36 I am testing it with @Pista cause it's easy to remember :lol: :lol: ;D
Does it work? :notworthy: :bat:
@iesus Yep. I got a little notification at the top of the page :D
Cool! That's nice :D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

I've just fixed an issue with mailboxes so you can now batch delete private messages :)

Previously you had to go into individual PMs and delete them one by one as the option to delete in batches was broken. It's fixed now.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

DocSommer wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 08:51 Have you tried clicking on that "Mark all messages read" link?
I thought about it, but I definitely didn't have any before we moved across so was not convinced they existed
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i've noticed that links to external web pages dont open in a new tab automatically like they used to, but annoyingl;y replace the viewed page with the link on it. :evil: for example
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pista
Cureboi

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 06:52 i've noticed that links to external web pages dont open in a new tab automatically like they used to, but annoyingl;y replace the viewed page with the link on it. :evil: for example
If you right click, you should be given the option to open in a new tab
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid

yes of course lol. i'm not a f**king idiot (not all the time anyway...) but it used to be automatic. us oldies get used to stuf....by the way my grumpy tone is completely fake as after seeing twattted pics of yourself you look hard as fook! :wink:

Pista
Cureboi

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 08:25 by the way my grumpy tone is completely fake as after seeing twattted pics of yourself you look hard as fook! :wink:
It's only makeup :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Quiff Boy wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 15:19
Being645 wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 18:13
Quiff Boy wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 18:06 “external links now automatically get one over to the page they link to ...”

Sorry I don’t quite understand what you mean.
If you click on a link you get to that page and leave HL automatically. The link does no longer open in a new tab... :) ...
sorry, missed your reply :(

ah yes, gotcha!

not opening links in new tabs all over the place is generally regarded as best practice these days

there are numerous usability and accessibility problems with automatically spawning a new browser tab, so the new version of the forum software doesn't do it :)
@eastmidswhizzkid see above re: links in new windows 👍
eastmidswhizzkid

ah ok missed that. no biggie anyhoo....

Being645
Above the Chemist

For some reason unknown I no longer receive any email notifications of new post, not even for threads that I've started myself.
Does one have to chose between options in the control panel? And if so, how? I just don't seem to get it ... :? ...
Pista
Cureboi

Being645 wrote: 18 Jul 2020, 18:07 For some reason unknown I no longer receive any email notifications of new post, not even for threads that I've started myself.
Does one have to chose between options in the control panel? And if so, how? I just don't seem to get it ... :? ...
You may need to recheck your preferences.
Go to
User control panel> Board preferences> edit notification options.

You should see this

There you can check the email option &/or the notification option which shows up next to the little bell at the top right of the screen.
But, & I know this sounds daft but a lot of people (like me) forget. Click the submit button to confirm your choices.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Also, you may want to check your spam or junk folders. Sometimes emails sent by automated systems like this forum can get flagged as spam by your email provider.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote: 18 Jul 2020, 19:09 Also, you may want to check your spam or junk folders. Sometimes emails sent by automated systems like this forum can get flagged as spam by your email provider.
Thanks, Pista and Quiff Boy for the suggestions ... :) ...

And yes, I'd suspected the spam folder as well and checked it, but no. Nothing has arrived on that account.

I've now submitted my choices in the user control board again. We will see ... :wink: ...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Mmm. Ok thank. Let me know how you get on.

I’ll @Being645 you here just to see if you get the email.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 06:59 Mmm. Ok thank. Let me know how you get on.

I’ll @Being645 you here just to see if you get the email.
Nothing. And I also checked the spam folder again... :( ...
Pista
Cureboi

@Being645 I have subscribed to this topic to see if I get emails now. Curious to know what is happening.

edit: Just to be certain all bases are covered. Have you subscribed or bookmarked the topic/ board you want the email notifications for?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

@Pista
Given that there's only the Unsubscribe option, I think I'm subscribed to it as usual. "Email topic" is for sending somebody else a hint at this topic, I guess. And bookmark is what is say on the tin, so no the usual email-notification stuff, either.
Pista
Cureboi

Being645 wrote: 19 Jul 2020, 20:56 @Pista
Given that there's only the Unsubscribe option, I think I'm subscribed to it as usual. "Email topic" is for sending somebody else a hint at this topic, I guess. And bookmark is what is say on the tin, so no the usual email-notification stuff, either.
Hmm. I got an email from this thread when you replied

Okay. Going to give this another go. On the thread tool drop down do you only see the unsubscribe option? If you do, check it. Then go to that tool again & you should see
Now bear with me here. I'm determined to figure this out.
Choose the subscribe option & afterwards check it again. Once you've subscribed you should then only see the unsubscribe option listed .
Provided you choose to have emails to subscribed topics in you user control panel (& have submitted that choice) it should work.
For clarity, when I first subscribed to this thread it didn't work first time. I may have clicked the wrong thing, I don't know. But the second time it worked okay.
Fingers crossed
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

OK, I've unsubscribed and after logging out and in, I've subscribed again ... now we will see ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

So, nothing has helped. And I still don't know why. Could there be a problem with my browser then?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

No, it's more likely that your email provider is rejecting emails sent from our server. :(
Being645
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 13:21 No, it's more likely that your email provider is rejecting emails sent from our server. :(
Uff, thank you for the info... :) ...
So I'll create an exception for HL emails in the provider settings and see it that helps ...
Err, what's the the HL Forums email address , btw ... not having seen it for two weeks
has somewhat deleted it from my memory ... :oops: :oops: :oops: ... :innocent: ...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ideally anything from "@myheartland.co.uk"

i think the forum sends emails as info@myheartland.co.uk if you need to add a specific address
Being645
Above the Chemist

Tried everything , nothing helped. So I will put up with no email notifications.... :wink: ...