Gary Marx (aka Mark Pearman)

Know the whereabouts of any ex-Sisters members or hangers-on? Got any amusing anecdotes about members of the band, past or present? Post 'em here...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

http://www.lipa.ac.uk/songwriters/marx_profile.htm
Mark Pearman has been teaching songwriting at LIPA for the past three years, his background is in what is usually referred to as alternative guitar music although as he says:

' I never really saw what was alternative about connecting it to an amplifer and playing a combination of chords and single note phrases, but I don't make the rules.'
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?

bizarre
may have to look up the solo album
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Further info:

His last Sisters concert was Brighton Top Rank on 01/04/85 though hisdeparture was pre-announced earlier on in the tour.

He also "came back" for an appearance on The Old Grey Whistle Test a few days later (04.04.85), where they performed Marian and First and Last and Always (which are commonly available on the 'net as movs). :smile:

<font size=1>[ This Message was edited by: Quiff Boy on Apr 6, 2002 11:46am ]</font>

got a URL for the whistle test movs QB
nearmethexperience
Sarky Git

@ quiffy (the nerdy mov god)
ok ok, just coz your the smart-arse nerdy mov god :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

sorry, got a little out of control there!!!! wont happen again (anytime soon anyway :wink:)

@mikey
all you need is your friendly beast of burden :smile: if you ain't got one drop me a pm and i'll take you to see a second hand donkey salesman :smile:

oh, right now i'm watching 'marian promo' video :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
++++ All those of you who have tears, prepare to shed them now... ++++

Wooooooooo Neddy
:grin:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

On 2002-04-08 14:08, nearmethexperience wrote:
@ quiffy (the nerdy mov god)
ok ok, just coz your the smart-arse nerdy mov god :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

sorry, got a little out of control there!!!! wont happen again (anytime soon anyway :wink:)
i've said it before and i'll say it again:

one word: decaf.

:razz: :razz: :razz:

or a whack aroond the heid wi' a girrrrderrrr...
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Tsk, tsk, GIFF. We'll have no talk of violence at this forum, thanks! Shame on you! :roll: :P
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Last seen sight of Mark Pearman aka Gary Marx was in York, Vanbrugh college 16.02.01 in the audience
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
vicus

This was posted to dominion by daniel smith a few minutes ago:
Also before the gig someone was handing out flyers saying "Pretty Black Dots. Gary Marx. Debut album out now". That was a surprise as last I heard he was teaching music at some music college somewhere.
I hope, he has not forgotten how to write a good tune. I liked his Sisters- and Ghost Dance-Songs very much
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the funny thing is that the flyer for marx's "pretty black dots" whatsit has a silver snake-skin pattern on it, not dissimilar to the anaconda sleeve ;) :O
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

and yeah, i agree with vicus - he always did have an ear for a catchy riff :)
Dimehart
Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:the funny thing is that the flyer for marx's "pretty black dots" whatsit has a silver snake-skin pattern on it, not dissimilar to the anaconda sleeve ;) :O
Didn't he use to play a guitar with a similar pattern during his time in The Sisters? I remember reading somewhere that he smashed it at his last gig with them...
"Love is the empty place where loneliness is born"
Big Si
School Bully

Hi Dimehart!
Quiff Boy Posted: Thu 01 Jan, 1970 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further info:

His last Sisters concert was Brighton Top Rank on 01/04/85 though hisdeparture was pre-announced earlier on in the tour.

He also "came back" for an appearance on The Old Grey Whistle Test a few days later (04.04.85), where they performed Marian and First and Last and Always (which are commonly available on the 'net as movs).

[ This Message was edited by: Quiff Boy on Apr 6, 2002 11:46am ]
Either he had an exact replica or managed to repair it for the "whistle test" a few days later. I've got it on video. I'm not sure but didn't he still use it while with Ghostdance? I've got a video of theirs on the bootleg "Kiss the blade" (which also has a clip of W***e H***ey with Dead or Alive :eek: :eek: ) Give me a coupla minutes and I'll check!
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Dimehart
Amphetamine Filth

Hello Big Si,
I read that in the anthology of the Heartland fanzine (page 50 top). I just looked it up and it didn't really say he "smashed" the guitar. It said:

"Marx delivered his final gesture when he climbed the P.A. and threw his famous 'Anaconda' guitar onto the stage during 'Sister Ray'."

Apparently the guitar survived the treatment :wink:
"Love is the empty place where loneliness is born"
Dan
Overbomber

Although the Whistle Test performance was broadcast on 4th April, it was recorded on 2nd April, the day after Brighton Top Rank.
Big Si
School Bully

Nah! It's Skeletal Family's - Promised Land video.

:eek: :D 8)

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: I don't remember having the Glasgow Nightmoves Gig on video! :D :D :D

And the missing encore from the Albert Hall :D :D :D

(I wonder what else is at the bottom of this wardrobe :?: )
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Dan
Overbomber

The flyer for "Pretty Black Dots / Gary Marx" also quotes a website www.garymarx.com, but there's just a holding page there at the moment. The domain was only registered on the 4th April, but you'd have thought they'd have put something there before publicising it.
vicus

Dan wrote:The flyer for "Pretty Black Dots / Gary Marx" also quotes a website www.garymarx.com, but there's just a holding page there at the moment. The domain was only registered on the 4th April, but you'd have thought they'd have put something there before publicising it.
Now the site IS online.
And there is an audiofile of "Death Of A Sandwich Board Man" and a small interview.
Dan
Overbomber

It doesn't work for me. I get redirected to http://messages.tv/easilyredirect.net?f ... rymarx.com which is an easily.co.uk holding page.
Dan
Overbomber

I managed to see the site by going through a proxy, however all 3 proxies I tried gave me a monged url for the song which doesn't work.
This is what I got. Obviously theres something missing where the /../ is.
www.garymarx.com/../support/Death%20Of% ... 0Man%20.rm
Can someone give me the correct link for the song so I can hear it.
Dan
Overbomber

Ah it's ok someone sent me the file. My isp can be s**t sometimes. Dunno why.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Rumour has had him doing everything from dance remixes, to writing a novel, staging a musical, and of course regularly re-joining the Sisters Of Mercy.

"There's an element of truth in everything I've heard about me, apart from working with Paul Young. I draw a very thick line short of that."
"re-joining the Sisters Of Mercy" :urff:

"There's an element of truth in everything" ;)
So what about Pretty Black Dots ? How long has it been taking shape ?

"I'm not sure it's got a shape as such...the songs are all fairly recent, it's not like I've spent ten years writing as many songs. I've written hundreds, but these are the first ones specifically written for me to sing since the first Sisters single.
;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

i wonder who or what he is referring to! ;)