Do you know any Watering Holes near the MEN, Manchester?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Tara
Road Kill

I've never been to the MEN,in Manchester; going next weekend for a gig.
Knowing that one or two of you on here are widely travelled and like the odd libation or three, :lol: I was wondering if anyone know of a good pub fairly close to the venue, for a pint before the show?

I'm meeting quite a few overseas visitors, so it needs to be easy to find and not a s**t hole...:-P

Thank you in advance, your help is much appreciated.

I hope you all have a great time at the birthday bash weekend, make sure you all behave, don't drink too much and wear clean underwear....

best wishes
Tara/aka Minx
sisxbeforedawn
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

no problems, just walk out the entrance and infront of you is the 'Print Works' there are quite a few bars in there :)
I met a devil woman, she took my heart away
Ginger
Amphetamine Filth

If you do go to the Printworks avoid at all costs "overpriced bars for the Chav generation" like Norwegian Blue and Lucid and head straight for Waxy O'Connors - make sure you go downstairs in Waxys. The food in there is great as well :D
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Tara wrote:I've never been to the MEN,in Manchester; going next weekend for a gig.
Knowing that one or two of you on here are widely travelled and like the odd libation or three, :lol: I was wondering if anyone know of a good pub fairly close to the venue, for a pint before the show?

I'm meeting quite a few overseas visitors, so it needs to be easy to find and not a s**t hole...:-P

I hope you all have a great time at the birthday bash weekend, make sure you all behave, don't drink too much and wear clean underwear....

best wishes
Tara/aka Minx
Who are you going to see then ? Im going in April... but frankly dare not say who im off to see... ;)

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Tara
Road Kill

Padstar wrote:
Tara wrote:I've never been to the MEN,in Manchester; going next weekend for a gig.

best wishes
Tara/aka Minx
Who are you going to see then ? Im going in April... but frankly dare not say who im off to see... ;)

Paddy.

:: cough:: Rammstein ::cough::

embarrassed grin.....

thank you for the recommendations. :notworthy: ..alcohol is a much better alternative to hypothermia... :D
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

And how exactly are Rammstein embarrassing?

If they play half the show they did in Berlin in December, or a fifth of the show they played at the Apollo in 2002, they'll kick your ass silly. If I wasn't in Egypt, I'd see you there for a beer or ten, at the pub down the cobbled street from Rock World, on Oxford St, who's name I have, as usual, forgotten. Failing that there's the scary local gaff (who's name I forget) next to the cathedral, which tends to be full of Reds, but given that they (we're) an open-minded bunch is a comfortable choice.

Enjoy the gig, spawny git! :D :D ;D :lol: 8)
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Tara
Road Kill

FFS Dave wrote:And how exactly are Rammstein embarrassing?

If they play half the show they did in Berlin in December, or a fifth of the show they played at the Apollo in 2002, they'll kick your ass silly. If I wasn't in Egypt, I'd see you there for a beer or ten, at the pub down the cobbled street from Rock World, on Oxford St, who's name I have, as usual, forgotten. Failing that there's the scary local gaff (who's name I forget) next to the cathedral, which tends to be full of Reds, but given that they (we're) an open-minded bunch is a comfortable choice.

Enjoy the gig, spawny git! :D :D ;D :lol: 8)
They are embarrassing becasue they are so gooood!!!

You're lucky catching them in Berlin, I couldn't get over this time :-(
But making up for it by doing three this week.

Scary local gaff huh? Sounds perfect for frightening unsuspecting 'mainland' Europeans, thanks for the info.

Have fun playing with the sphinx....
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Hey, Rammstein are great!...

Im going to see Motley Crue in April!!!!

Paddy.
Debaser
Overbomber

Padstar wrote:Hey, Rammstein are great!...

Paddy.
With the mighty KILLING JOKE as support.....whoo hoo!!!!!
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

The Brunswick!! That's the one opposite RockWorld. Ace pub, even if it is a mini-hike to the arena.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

Debaser wrote:
Padstar wrote:Hey, Rammstein are great!...

Paddy.
With the mighty KILLING JOKE as support.....whoo hoo!!!!!
Yeah, looking forward to Killing Joke in a big way..... odd choice of support mind.... i dont really get it to be honest....

Paddy.
keys
Road Kill

FFS Dave wrote:The Brunswick!! That's the one opposite RockWorld. Ace pub, even if it is a mini-hike to the arena.
If The Brunswick's opposite RockWorld (Jilly's), then RockWorld's just moved across town! :roll:

...but i'll let you off, cos you're a red. :innocent:

The pub that FFS Dave is referring to is in fact The Salisbury - and it's opposite The Palace Hotel, which is further down the road to RockWorld. Good selection of beer, no townie s**t on the juke box and a late licence (2am on a Saturday, i think). Nuff said.

There is a pub called The Brunswick in Manchester (Piccadilly), but it's s**t! Used to be a great Irish pub called Finnegan's Wake, but underwent a refurb to pander to the chav underclass. :evil:
keys
Road Kill

...thinking on...

...jump in a cab and go to The Fringe Bar on Swan Street (not the nicest looking street in town) - you can see the arena from there!!

Probably the best selection of local beers, belgian beers / lagers in town, plus - yet again - a very respectable juke box with rock and goff a plenty :D

Get in early... get yer 10 tracks for a quid and do your drinking before the gig. The bar(s) in the arena serve overpriced, watered-down, flat coloured liquid straight from the Irwell (Manc's river).

To get to the arena from The Fringe Bar... walk out of the front door, turn right and walk straight down the road for a few hundred yards - the arena will be on your left hand side.

Enjoy!
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

keys wrote:
If The Brunswick's opposite RockWorld (Jilly's), then RockWorld's just moved across town! :roll:

Oh yeah. My memory has been so badly hammered, sooner or later I'm gonna forget how to skin up.

Yeah course it's The Salisbury. The Brunswick used to be okay, then it became Finnigans Wake and was very good (spent a few hours in there before Rammstein in 2002), but I didn't know it had been overhauled again. Visits to my heartland are way too few and far between these days, except the odd pilgrimage of course.

Thank you for putting me right.

Rule One Is : Never ask FFS for directions or advice. Ever. :lol:
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

Killing Joke are supporting Motley Crue?
What a bizarre combination :eek:
Tara
Road Kill

keys wrote:
FFS Dave wrote:The Brunswick!! That's the one opposite RockWorld. Ace pub, even if it is a mini-hike to the arena.

The pub that FFS Dave is referring to is in fact The Salisbury - and it's opposite The Palace Hotel, which is further down the road to RockWorld. Good selection of beer, no townie s**t on the juke box and a late licence (2am on a Saturday, i think). Nuff said.

There is a pub called The Brunswick in Manchester (Piccadilly), but it's s**t! Used to be a great Irish pub called Finnegan's Wake, but underwent a refurb to pander to the chav underclass. :evil:
Thanks very much, plenty of choice there.
i'll let you know how it went, when i gte back next week.

I agree Killing Joke supproting Motley Crue is weird, I think I'd prefer it the other way around... :lol:
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Tara wrote: :: cough:: Rammstein ::cough::
Nowt wrong with Rammstein as Mr FFS has already stated. Lamia's at Brixton on the 3rd and I'm there on the 5th. 8)
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Tara
Road Kill

JB wrote:
Nowt wrong with Rammstein as Mr FFS has already stated. Lamia's at Brixton on the 3rd and I'm there on the 5th. 8)
I know there's nothing wrong with them, but I seem to recall a a thread on this very forum a few months ago in that a couple of ppl said they weren't too keen on them. So I wasn't going to shout their name about...this is a Sisters forum after all ...and some ppl get sniffy about that type of thing (although most ppl here seem to be the epitome of coolness... :notworthy: )

I run an image site about Rammstein:

http://www.rammimages.com

I KNOW how great Rammstein are....we could do with more UK converts.... :D

You can love both with no conflict of interest. I have Sisters tat on one arm the R+ logo on the other...

costs me a fortune cutting the sleeves off my shirts for gigs you know.... :roll:

best wishes
minx
Debaser
Overbomber

Tara wrote:
I agree Killing Joke supproting Motley Crue is weird, I think I'd prefer it the other way around... :lol:
Yessum, so bizarre I'm just gonna have to cope with the KJ 25th anniversary bash at Shepherd's Bush Empire, whenever it is!
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
James Blast
Banned

Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood kick like a Mother Fletcher!
well the title track does
Oh and, the Girls, Girls, Girls album does connect with the posterior too
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Tara wrote:
JB wrote:
I know there's nothing wrong with them, but I seem to recall a a thread on this very forum a few months ago in that a couple of ppl said they weren't too keen on them. So I wasn't going to shout their name about...this is a Sisters forum after all ...and some ppl get sniffy about that type of thing (although most ppl here seem to be the epitome of coolness... :notworthy: )

I run an image site about Rammstein:

http://www.rammimages.com

I KNOW how great Rammstein are....we could do with more UK converts.... :D

You can love both with no conflict of interest. I have Sisters tat on one arm the R+ logo on the other...

costs me a fortune cutting the sleeves off my shirts for gigs you know.... :roll:

best wishes
minx
All right all right. That's enough from you two. Just go and watch and enjoy and dance and sing and set fire to everything, but please do it quietly. Feckers!

Converts? I'm doing my best Tara, twas I that turned JBs head to the dark side! :twisted:

Abiding memory of the Berlin gig? The 'special effects' on Amerika. Very 'Fix'. But better, obviously.