Something Fast, Detonation Boulevard, Temple of Love

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
EricSweden
Amphetamine Filth

so...
anyone know what these songs are about?

:innocent: :)
Dimehart
Amphetamine Filth

I've always thought of 'Something Fast' as a song for for old junkies... That's 'Sergels torg' for the swedes amongst us :eek:
"Love is the empty place where loneliness is born"
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

I always thought Something Fast was sung from the female perspecitve.
The need for a relationship at any cost rather than being alone.
TOL - anybody's guess. There are a lot of standard early Eldritch themes, rejection, unhappy love affair, drugs (a shot for the pain inside).
There seems to be a jilted or unrequited lover involved. He is the one that will throw their walls aside.
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
EricSweden
Amphetamine Filth

i see :)
zigeunerweisen
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Black Horizon wrote:Something Fast is about a man with a lot of stress problems. Therefore he needs to find a one night stand prostitute to cure his head and hitch-hike out of town. I think anyway. The shagging prostitues thing is right though. Detonation Boulevard is about Eldritch's ego and career success. I think.
Erudite wrote:I always thought Something Fast was sung from the female perspecitve.
The need for a relationship at any cost rather than being alone.
I just like the sound of it, but those make sense.
zigeunerweisen

Deonation Boulevard - Isn't it about polution, raping nature and people being mean to each other or something?
zigeunerweisen

TOL - Well, you have love, and it's always over in the morning, and things became very depressing and dark.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

What, drug references in Sisters songs? :eek:

:lol:
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Dimehart
Amphetamine Filth

CellThree wrote:What, drug references in Sisters songs? :eek:
It happens to all bands sooner or later :lol:
"Love is the empty place where loneliness is born"
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

zigeunerweisen wrote:Deonation Boulevard - Isn't it about polution, raping nature and people being mean to each other or something?
I think it's about a trip to Mexico, a trip that includes a 'borrowed' car, some crystal meth, maybe a little mescal, and a strange revelation.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

The Green Lantern wrote:
zigeunerweisen wrote:Deonation Boulevard - Isn't it about polution, raping nature and people being mean to each other or something?
I think it's about a trip to Mexico, a trip that includes a 'borrowed' car, some crystal meth, maybe a little mescal, and a strange revelation.
Very Fear & Losthing in other words
(which we know he's read because of Adrenochrome).
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Andy TG
Overbomber

I always thought "Detonation Boulevard" was about "Americans" - but I could be wrong!

IMHO - Something Fast is about a person who really needs to escape their life at that point and does bot care Who When Where or How as long as its soon as possible!

TOL - IMHO is about "VON" getting F***ED over by a woman (women) again! - whilst Very Very Drunk (guardian angel walks away)
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

EricSweden wrote:so...
anyone know what these songs are about?

:innocent: :)

cars and guns and accidents, or maybe just maybe - speed and cars and above all, SPEED :wink:

Finally found out who Christopher Marlowe is. After all these years :von:
Goths have feelings too
zigeunerweisen

The Green Lantern wrote:
I like yours better 8)
Rabbit
Road Kill

i thought detonation boulevard was just a big allegory for ....

computers.. because of all that damned sybolism or whatever crap that makes it like that. A really, really well written way to make an allegory of computers and that internet s**t.

someone please tell me im wrong. Id love the song so much more then.

i wouldnt want to think that my favorite rockstar who writes all this stuff is just pulling it out of his ass and none of his lyrics are related to anything real. Or whether he just intellectualizes all those great lyrics and songs up, and its just a load of s**t.

im done with my rant. because that would ruin this music for me
just keep your nose to the grindstone they say..
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

iwas under the impression that "something fast" was a drugs(speed)/human nature v. religion thing.

"God knows everybody needs a hand in their decision"
-or:religion thinks it has all the answers to the human condition
"some of us are not so sure"
-self-explanatory
"i seen his own [hand] held out on television"
-or:the hand of his followers,asking for money;common enough in the states (baltimore)
"gimme something fast"
-or gimme some speed,at least i know where i am with that,its reliable and its on my terms-"the fast stuff" or simply"fast" is a euphemism for speed/whizz (down our way)

i'ld just like to say that while the lyrics forum is obviously a)popular and b)a valid literary pursuit for the "lifeless" amongst us;i dont post here very often as we all seem to have our own very personal interpretations of vons lyrics (outside/alongside the commonly accepted/offered interpretations)...which is probably why we're all such devoted fans/anoraks/saddos and on HL to start with!
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
distanceovertime
Road Kill

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:iwas under the impression that "something fast" was a drugs(speed)/human nature v. religion thing.

"God knows everybody needs a hand in their decision"
-or:religion thinks it has all the answers to the human condition
"some of us are not so sure"
-self-explanatory
"i seen his own [hand] held out on television"
-or:the hand of his followers,asking for money;common enough in the states (baltimore)
"gimme something fast"
-or gimme some speed,at least i know where i am with that,its reliable and its on my terms-"the fast stuff" or simply"fast" is a euphemism for speed/whizz (down our way)

i'ld just like to say that while the lyrics forum is obviously a)popular and b)a valid literary pursuit for the "lifeless" amongst us;i dont post here very often as we all seem to have our own very personal interpretations of vons lyrics (outside/alongside the commonly accepted/offered interpretations)...which is probably why we're all such devoted fans/anoraks/saddos and on HL to start with!
Good one :notworthy:
EricSweden
Amphetamine Filth

damn this is an old topic... april 2003
hehe ;)
czuczu
Overbomber

Thread necro... I've only just realised Detonation Boulevard quotes Chuck Berry :oops: 8)