Temple of Love - claustrophobia

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

I was listening to temple of love and reading the lyrics when the song started making me feel rather claustrophobic.

This is my take on the song, I've probally misinterpreted it though.

The song to me is about religion and or drugs.

The people think the Temple of Love is good for them when in fact it's causing most of their problems.

At the end of the song when the Temple falls down, it's a good thing and not a bad thing.
With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain at hand
The quote above is about Heroin.
Believing pain and fear outside
I always thought the quote above means they think the Temple is protecting them but it's the fear and pain.
Your faith for bricks and dreams for mortar
All your prayers must seem as nothing
The quote above is about religion.
But someone near you rides the weather
And the tears he cried will rain on walls
As wide as lovers eyes
This line always makes me feel claustrophobic.

I can elaborate on all of this but it's six in the morning and I'm still sleepy.
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

It's about Vietnam. - maybe :) :von:

I'm sure Von has said words to this effect, anyone?

Paul
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

zaltys7 wrote:It's about Vietnam. - maybe :) :von:

Paul
Who said Vietnam, heroin and claustrophobia were mutually exclusive subjects?
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
zaltys7

Chairman Bux wrote:
zaltys7 wrote:It's about Vietnam. - maybe :) :von:

Paul
Who said Vietnam, heroin and claustrophobia were mutually exclusive subjects?
Not me :)

But I dont think heroin has got owt to do with it.

@ nick the stripper, keep going my friend, but think speed, not junk.

Paul
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

What's the difference between speed and junk? :?

I understand the difference between Halucinogens and Junk, but not speed.

Speed reminds me of junk and seems very similar.
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

nick the stripper wrote:What's the difference between speed and junk? :?

I understand the difference between Halucinogens and Junk, but not speed.

Speed reminds me of junk and seems very similar.
Amphetamine sulphate and heroin are very, very dissimilar. Ask any junkie.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Just looked it up here - http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/

http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/amphetamines/index.htm does seem very different too http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/heroin/index.htm
zaltys7

nick the stripper wrote:
Just looked it up here - http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/

http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/amphetamines/index.htm does seem very different too http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/heroin/index.htm
You dont have to ask a junkie, not everyone who has done drugs is a junkie :roll:

We all grow up though.

To compare speed to Heroin though is just ignorance, and we can all do without ignorance. :D

Paul
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

To compare speed to Heroin though is just ignorance, and we can all do without ignorance. :D
Sorry :oops: My entire drug education has come from http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/ and reading 'Fear n Loathing in Las Vegas' and 'Junky' a dozen times.
zaltys7

nick the stripper wrote:
Sorry :oops: My entire drug education has come from http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/ and reading 'Fear n Loathing in Las Vegas' and 'Junky' a dozen times.
God nick, no need to apolagise!

Keep it that way, or not, as the case may be.

Your life is and always will be your own, to paraphrase a certain comic book character............

Wheres the whizzkid when we need him :lol: :lol:

Paul
canon docre
Overbomber

nick the stripper wrote:
It's about time to taste the real world. :wink: :von: :innocent:
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
aims
Overbomber

Disclaimer:

The above is an example of what we would not call "Sound Advice".
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

canon docre wrote:It's about time to taste the real world. :wink: :von: :innocent:
I decided that for myself a long time ago, sadly the plans fell threw the first time and the 2nd time I wimped out. :roll: :innocent:
zaltys7

nick the stripper wrote:
canon docre wrote:It's about time to taste the real world. :wink: :von: :innocent:
I decided that for myself a long time ago, sadly the plans fell threw the first time and the 2nd time I wimped out. :roll: :innocent:
Do what you want. Fnuck the rest of them.

I admire your stance. :)

Paul
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

zaltys7 wrote: Do what you want. Fnuck the rest of them.

I admire your stance. :)

Paul
What stance :?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Amphetamines (speed, whizz) as well as its euphoric effect, makes you stay awake for many hours (even days if you go on an extended jag) and grind your teeth. Ever wondered why Eldritch sings through clenched teeth? It's because he can't open his mouth :innocent:

Heroin (smack, junk) makes you throw up, get tunnel vision, and be unable to move if my one experience of smoking the stuff is anything to go by. Not recommended IMO.

However, many speed users also use smack to cushion the "crash" from a whizz-binge.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Amphetamines (speed, whizz) as well as its euphoric effect, makes you stay awake for many hours (even days if you go on an extended jag) and grind your teeth. Ever wondered why Eldritch sings through clenched teeth? It's because he can't open his mouth :innocent:

Heroin (smack, junk) makes you throw up, get tunnel vision, and be unable to move if my one experience of smoking the stuff is anything to go by. Not recommended IMO.

However, many speed users also use smack to cushion the "crash" from a whizz-binge.
Speed sounds quite interesting, besides the grinding teeth.

Heroin - just thinking about what it does disturbs me, being unable to move would make me freak out.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

There's a few songs which have some odd effects on me too. Claustrophobia not one of them, however. I was trying to think of an example, but I couldn't remember till now.

Bauhaus - Nerves, takes me from moody goth to mental punk in the space of 7 minutes.

The Velvets - All Tomorrow's Parties, makes me feel sad and weak, and yet full of inner strength at the same time.

Suicide - Frankie Teardrop, scared the f**k out of me.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Dark wrote:Bauhaus - Nerves, takes me from moody goth to mental punk in the space of 7 minutes.
Makes me think of The Tell-Tale Heart every time I listen to it.

Is that deliberate?
анархия
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

[quote="markfiend"
However, many speed users also use smack to cushion the "crash" from a whizz-binge.[/quote]

and many smack-users use the fact that they're coming down off of other substances to justify their heroin use.go figure. :roll:
(personally i find a good nights sleep/hair of the dog works best)

having been a "new age traveller"-(a media expression,only slightly better than "hippy traveller")-for the last ten years,living in what is openly (amongst ourselves) a drugs culture,i have found that the only people (on site) who hide/deny use of their drug of choice are heroin users.

smack has caused 99% of the drug-related deaths i have witnessed in the last twenty years (the other one% have been people drinking themselves to death on the states favourite psycho-active drug)

i have known a lot of the most creative,wonderful people succumb to heroin addiction(especially the cocky ones who reckon they can handle it).some it turns into thieves.some it turns into corpses.its made all of them fcuking boring....
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:having been a "new age traveller"
Do forgive me. When I read that, the Velvets popped into my head.

Something's got a hold on me, and I don't know what..
It's the beginning of our New Age...
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

you know there really is a temple of love, i found it

it's about apocalypse in the heart of darkness with the hollow men who may have read of the platonic lovers, quite possibly pyramus and thisbe, or not :wink:
Goths have feelings too
christophe
Overbomber

though I see the links as clear as you do the song has very different meenings to me.
maybe its basicly the same but for me its about seeking shelter from harm but in a very wrong way.
the Temple of love is where you go to be safe, like a relation out of need and not out of love. or as you put it, feel the effect of drugs to not have to face reality.
fact is the temple allways falls.
Another Shade of You.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:and many smack-users use the fact that they're coming down off of other substances to justify their heroin use.go figure. :roll:
(personally i find a good nights sleep/hair of the dog works best)

having been a "new age traveller"-(a media expression,only slightly better than "hippy traveller")-for the last ten years,living in what is openly (amongst ourselves) a drugs culture,i have found that the only people (on site) who hide/deny use of their drug of choice are heroin users.

smack has caused 99% of the drug-related deaths i have witnessed in the last twenty years (the other one% have been people drinking themselves to death on the states favourite psycho-active drug)

i have known a lot of the most creative,wonderful people succumb to heroin addiction(especially the cocky ones who reckon they can handle it).some it turns into thieves.some it turns into corpses.its made all of them fcuking boring....
Totally agree with you. Heroin is bad news. The only time I ever took it, was at a party where a load of spliffs were doing the rounds and someone seemed to think it would be "funny" to send one round spiked with brown. :evil: I've still never found out who it was.

No-one bullsh!ts like a heroin user. They use all sorts of cr@p to justify it to themselves and others. After a while it's not even the person there any more, just the smack.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
zaltys7

I was overjoyed recently when a long lost friend phoned out of the blue and suggested he come and visit, that is until I found out all he wanted was somwhere to hide from his heroin dealer, who he owed money to. :|

When I pointed out to him that he was in fact a complete cnut but that I would help him if he wanted the help he repeatedly phoned me at stupid O'clock in the morning to threaten me and my own.

Some friends gave him a good kicking.
He deserved it.

Paul