Temple of Love - claustrophobia

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

markfiend wrote: Heroin is bad news. The only time I ever took it, was at a party where a load of spliffs were doing the rounds and someone seemed to think it would be "funny" to send one round spiked with brown. :evil:
i hold a complete and utter contempt for people who do this with any drug.freebies are all very well but its nice to be asked-you may as well give it to kids or animals if you're gonna disrespect others' personal choice.

@zaltys7-it's a sad fact my friend that a good kicking is often the only language some people understand.and like you say he deserved it :twisted:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Brideoffrankenstein
Overbomber

not all smack users are like this - my ex was involved with it for 7 years, worked a 7 day week to pay for his habit and never f**ked anyone around least of all his friends :|
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Fair enough; I'm sure there are some responsible heroin users; but all the ones I've ever met were cnuts. And they weren't cnuts until the smack got hold of them.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Heroin.. be the death of me
Heroin.. it's my life, and it's my wife, cause I'm married to my vein

*nods* When you think about it, that song's lyrics really do reflect well on the smack user's mindset..
eastmidswhizzkid

Brideoffrankenstein wrote:not all smack users are like this - my ex was involved with it for 7 years, worked a 7 day week to pay for his habit and never f**ked anyone around least of all his friends :|
fair enough.
bet it still made him really interesting[sarcastic-icon required:mark?]

no offence intenended BoF :notworthy:

nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Does speed make you a cnut, or is that Heroin's speciality?

I've heard it's very hard to get an addiction, it can take up to a year to form one, is this true?
eastmidswhizzkid

nick the stripper wrote:Does speed make you a cnut, or is that Heroin's speciality?

I've heard it's very hard to get an addiction, it can take up to a year to form one, is this true?
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

good question nick,and i one which deserves an answer for two (personal) reasons:

1-i make no bones about doing what i do or about slagging off smack (and i'm not a hyppocrite)
2-i would NEVER advise or encourage ANYONE to do ANYTHING just 'cause i do it.you're either gonna do drugs or you're not.
in which case the best i can do as a (ir)responsible adult is say this:

anything can turn you into a c**t if you let it take you over.
some are harder to spot than others.ultimately its down to you.

anything can be addictive,psychologically.all you need for a full-on addiction is to be unable to do without it.you can.but you might not think (or want to think)you can.

doing anything habitually is neither big nor clever.its your choice but dont think straight away that you've got the drop on any drug.believe me,just when you think you know it all...

smack is more dangerous than most because (amongst other things) it is PHYSICALLY addictive.makes people scream like a baby on withdrawal.(withdrawing from something is not the same as merely coming down off of it,however speed comedowns can be massively unpleasant)

mainlining (injecting intraveinously) anything is a cnuts game.full stop.watching somebody add to their misery by acquiring a needle addiction (whereby resorting to banging up water is by no means uncommon) is far from glamorous.
"pinning the tail onto the donkey" is not only an easy way to OD,it's also a relatively easy way to get abscesses,collapsed veins,air in your blood stream....the horror stories are endless.
:von:

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah, it's not just smack; I've met some boring stoners, some boring drinkers, some boring speed-freaks, some really boring coke-heads :lol: etc.

But I've met some really interesting (all of the above). It's really down to whether you use the drug or the drug "uses" you...

And the warning against needles; well, let's just say if you've ever been in the same house as someone who's screaming the place down because they've had a "dirty dig", it's enough to put anyone off self-injecting.

Also after a while there isn't a usable vein in the arm and so they end up using their legs, neck, or even penis to inject into. :urff: :urff: :urff: :urff:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
aims
Overbomber

nick the stripper wrote:Does speed make you a cnut, or is that Heroin's speciality?

No, sitting on a beach yelling at the waves makes you a cnut :innocent:
Céleste
Road Kill

i dont know if it is already mentioned for i had notime to read all entrys, i think the temple of love is a symbol for a brothel.

cause there is a line "and love is over in the morning"...
i dont know, but i think its about buyable love..
don't reap the grapes of wasteland
eastmidswhizzkid

i always thought "love is always over in the morning " was a reference to telling a girl you loved her just to get in her knickers... :innocent:

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

No-one would ever do something like that surely? :innocent:
—Bertrand Russell
Céleste
Road Kill

thats part of it
but in a brothel love is over in the morning as well

i got the impression that manysisters songs are about "buyablelove"
for instance " there s 25 whores in the room next door..."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The "25 whores..." were probably from when Von was living in Hamburg. Not that I'm saying you're wrong.

Anyhoo, something just struck me; how many times have you heard people say "my body is a temple"? Plus the "intellectual love gods" thing, and of course a temple is where you worship your gods.

So the "Temple Of Love" is actually :von: himself? :lol: Hey Andrew, I like me, who do you like?
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I always thought what MF says, eg. that 'Temple Of Love' is actually about Von during one of his own gigs.

Take the first verse, for example:

With the fire from the fireworks up above me
the spotlights
With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain at hand
gun-->microphone, which he uses to please his lovers (fans); shot for the pain at hand-->drugs taken before entering the stage
You run for cover in the temple of love
concert hall?
You run for another but still the same
For the wind will blow my name across this land
you can go and see others concerts, but the Sisters' will remain the best concerts ever ;)

Also:

But someone near you rides the weather
And the tears he cried will rain on walls
As wide as lovers eyes

I always saw this part as the bodies sweating, sweat dripping off the walls. Anyone been to Rock Ternat some odd years ago? It RAINED inside the tent due to the sweat dripping off the roof :eek: :urff:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Céleste
Road Kill

freely interpreted, dont you think?;)
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Céleste wrote:freely interpreted, dont you think?;)
As always ;)

Von's rantings are never to be taken too strict or serious in any case...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:I always thought what MF says, eg. that 'Temple Of Love' is actually about Von during one of his own gigs.

Take the first verse, for example:

the spotlights
gun-->microphone, which he uses to please his lovers (fans); shot for the pain at hand-->drugs taken before entering the stage
You run for cover in the temple of love
concert hall?
You run for another but still the same
For the wind will blow my name across this land
you can go and see others concerts, but the Sisters' will remain the best concerts ever ;)

Also:

But someone near you rides the weather
And the tears he cried will rain on walls
As wide as lovers eyes

I always saw this part as the bodies sweating, sweat dripping off the walls. Anyone been to Rock Ternat some odd years ago? It RAINED inside the tent due to the sweat dripping off the roof :eek: :urff:

IZ.
So "Temple of Love" is Von's "Souper Trouper"? :lol:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Céleste wrote:thats part of it
" there s 25 whores in the room next door..."
a play on the 52 daughters is all :wink:
Goths have feelings too
Casar
Road Kill

Has A Eldritch ever commented what he had in mind when he wrote this song? I can´t recall reading anything about it.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

nick the stripper wrote:So "Temple of Love" is Von's "Souper Trouper"? :lol:
works for me :lol: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
darkparticle
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

temple of love is maybe a mockery of love, or so many foundation stones of emotion - it rocks with irony!!!
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Thread necro!

I personally interpret it as the idea of romantic love that is so prevalent in (pop) culture; the age-old story of two people finding each other, which ends when they have just done that but never tells how their initial fire dies down and they become estranged, etc. etc.

The idea that if only you can find someone to be in love with, it'll solve all your (mental) problems ("believing pain and fear outside"). But it doesn't. Most relationships aren't eternal, and you can't rely on someone else to battle your own demons.

And if you have a taste for the carnal, well, you might spend a lot of nights off your head, chatting up some pretty little thing just because you can, and maybe you'll even briefly feel in love, until the next morning, when you're hungover and sitting on a public train home in last night's sweaty clothes (with your underwear inside-out in the illusion that that's slightly less disgusting), longing for your shower.

Well that and possibly religion. Temples, churches... you go inside and pray because outside, the world is coming to an end, but walls are just walls and religion is a lie, too, so there are no gods to protect you from bombs and missiles... or just the flow of time. How many ancient temples are ruins now, their deities and customs forgotten?

Could also be about hippies (Vietnam has been mentioned).
Being645
Above the Chemist

To me it's a song against every absolute approach, against any kind of dogma, of culturally imposed (often enforced by blackmail) adaptation to whatever demands and ideas ... very 1960s/1970s/1980s in that.
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

Listening recently it occurred to me;

And the devil in black dress watches over
My guardian angel walks away

or

And the devil in black dress watches over my guardian angel
Walks away

Similarly;

or