pete murphy on tour

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

clicky
JULY 18 Dublin, IRELAND- Temple Bar
JULY 19 London, UK - Scala
JULY 20 Nottingham, UK - Rescue Rooms
and rumour has it there's a manchester date to follow ;)

:von: :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Karst
Slight Overbomber

And former Mish guitarist Mark Thwaite is part of the line-up.
hallucienate
Overbomber

Karst wrote:And former Mish guitarist Mark Thwaite is part of the line-up.
He's still the current Mish guitarist (for the two JHB gigs).
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I don't think I've ever read a paragraph of an interview as memorable as...

"It is, therefore, reassuring to report that Peter Murphy, former singer with Bauhaus, now solo artiste, the Fairy Godfather Of Goth, the man whose cheekbones are so high it's surprising that his genitals don't dangle, collar-and-tie-like, beneath his chin, is still - as Nietzsche so skilfully put it - "a man wedged firmly up his own exhaust pipe."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
James Blast
Banned

his solo albums are garbage though, Tones On Tail were the only Bauhaus offshoot I liked
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
radiojamaica
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:his solo albums are garbage though, Tones On Tail were the only Bauhaus offshoot I liked
I liked Peter Murphy's Dust album..., not that my opinion matters that much :innocent:
in dub we trust
James Blast
Banned

please don't feel that way rj everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even Johnny M
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
radiojamaica
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:please don't feel that way rj everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even Johnny M
:lol:

although, let's just see about that...
in dub we trust
Debaser
Overbomber

I think the Manchester date is the 21st.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
filthyrikky
Road Kill

Quiff Boy wrote:clicky
JULY 18 Dublin, IRELAND- Temple Bar
JULY 19 London, UK - Scala
JULY 20 Nottingham, UK - Rescue Rooms
and rumour has it there's a manchester date to follow ;)

:von: :notworthy:
Ohho

I might have to actually go to this !
http://killingmiranda.com

bum raping the goth scene since 1998
Black Biscuit
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I haven't heard any of Murphy's solo stuff, but Mick Karn (Japan's bass player) had some interesting things to say after collaborating with Murphy:

Pete Murphy, front-man for UK goth band, Bauhaus, was once featured in a TV advertisement promoting Maxell blank audio cassettes. The ad saw Murphy seated in an armchair in a shadowy old house. As music begins to play, Murphy's darkened room starts to move and shake with poltergeist activity.

The moody piece of music used for the ad's soundtrack was "Night On Bald Mountain" by Modest Mussorgsky.

Following the break up of Bauhaus, Murphy started a band with Mick Karn, bassplayer with 80s new-wave supergroup, Japan. (Japan had also recently split up.)

Murphy and Karn called their collaborative outfit Dali's Car, named after an artwork by the eccentric surrealist, Salvador Dali.

Murphy and Karn's music was an unusual blend of eastern sounds and vague suggestions of melody and words. They spent little, if any, time together on the project. Instead, they worked on the recordings separately, sending tapes back and forth between each other.

The recent reformation of Bauhaus brought Dali's Car back into the public eye - well, sort of.

Of Dali's Car and their unusual way of working together, Karn said there are "no plans for a reunion" and also suggested that Murphy would've been "happier with something more pretentious."

Murphy explained away the pretentious tag by saying the album's oddness was largely due to the fact that he and Karn, whether consciously aware of it or not, were both shattered at having lost their former bands.
.... there is no semblance of rock 'n roll around here!
James Blast
Banned

Dali's Car were in fact named after a Captain Beefheart tune
~ Peter Steele
Batfish
Road Kill

I quite liked Dali's Car, although it's not what you'd call overtly sensible. Tones On Tail are the best of the offshoots. Actually, for me, Tones On Tail are better than Bauhaus.
Hooray For Everything
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

@ Dali's Car.....I have the lp, but I must say its the least played record I have
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
mik
Chameleons Guru

Will be arranging my weekly overnight stops for work at Boots to coincide with the Nottingham date, so if anyone fancies meeting up...

... and telling me where the venue is :innocent: ...

... I won't look quite so much like a sad lonely old goth :wink:
Something pithy.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

mik wrote:
... I won't look quite so much like a sad lonely old goth
I don't know why but when I read that a voice in my head went "awwww" :?
Last edited by nick the stripper on 24 Jun 2005, 14:56, edited 2 times in total.
ruffers
Overbomber

culprit wrote:@ Dali's Car.....I have the lp, but I must say its the least played record I have
I have the 7" Picture Disc Of The Judgement Is The Mirror, although this was a fact I had completely forgotten until I read the thread... :|
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

P M has made some fine songs while on solo,

"Marlene Dietrich s favourite poem" for example
boudicca
Sister Midnight

nick the stripper wrote:
mik wrote:
... I won't look quite so much like a sad lonely old goth
I don't know why but when I read that a voice in my head went "awwww" :?
Your time will come... :wink:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Ducks, ducks..

:innocent:
Black Biscuit

James Blast wrote:Dali's Car were in fact named after a Captain Beefheart tune
Dali's Car was a car that started to rain once you sat inside it and closed the door. It's possible the car was around before the Beefheart tune.
Black Biscuit

boudicca wrote:I don't think I've ever read a paragraph of an interview as memorable as...

"It is, therefore, reassuring to report that Peter Murphy, former singer with Bauhaus, now solo artiste, the Fairy Godfather Of Goth, the man whose cheekbones are so high it's surprising that his genitals don't dangle, collar-and-tie-like, beneath his chin, is still - as Nietzsche so skilfully put it - "a man wedged firmly up his own exhaust pipe."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

---- Isn't this what caused Bauhaus to split in the first place - Murphy taking the Ziggy Stardust "sucked up into his mind" ego trip too far?

Apart from that, I'm skeptical about the whole band comeback thingy - but then aren't we all?
James Blast
Banned

I sit corrected BB
Currently Watching... Glastonbury on BBC 4, God! Babyshambles are even worse than I expected, charisma free pub rockers at best :urff:
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

James Blast wrote: Currently Watching... Glastonbury on BBC 4, God! Babyshambles are even worse than I expected, charisma free pub rockers at best :urff:
Ugh! You're supposed to be recovering Blast, why inflict Pete Doherty on yourself? :urff:
James Blast
Banned

ah ken Claire, my stay in the 'ossie didn't cure my daftness :(

update
Currently Watching... Bloc Party were a big disappointment (sorry JM), Doves (or is it Elbow?) sound pretty good, glad I saw and heard The Zutons being as crap as I'd hoped.
You have no idea how happy I am not to be in my teens/twenties these days, where are all the heroes?
:urff:
~ Peter Steele