Tube Chaos In London

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Johnny M
A Very Nice Man

That was the email she sent me. The nature of her profession means she's not prone to fabrication. No doubt there will be another media blanket to avoid panic because he's certainly not operating alone.
[size=9:7c190484cc]Johnny Boy - JB - Loki - Johnny M

Heartland 14 Jul 03 - 05 Aug 06.[/size:7c190484cc]
aims
Overbomber

The G8 summit requires a huge security effort. As the summit is in in Scotland, the UK's security forces are dragged away from London, making the events supposedly difficult to deal with. This is exhibited by the fact that Tony Blair has had to travel a long way back to London and then back to G8 tonight. Apparently, however, the contingency plans in place have gone smoothly.
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

johnny, your friend may not be "prone to fabrication" but i fail to see how her profession makes her passing on an unsubstantiated report any more credible than if she worked at the checkout in the local supermarket? if she has a genuine, direct source then fair enough but it sounds to me like she's just repeating a rumour which i've seen all t'internet today.
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Black Biscuit
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

.... there is no semblance of rock 'n roll around here!
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Just heard it on the radio after a posting on Dominion.

Glad to hear all HLers seem to be ok, and I hope the same for those (relatives, friends, who ever) around you.

Eva.
You can't fix stupid.
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

Dad has just phoned Mum - he's fine and managed to get out of London. He's in Sidcup now so well on his way home.

Hope everyone else gets good news too.
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
Black Biscuit

Motz wrote:The G8 summit requires a huge security effort. As the summit is in in Scotland, the UK's security forces are dragged away from London, making the events supposedly difficult to deal with. This is exhibited by the fact that Tony Blair has had to travel a long way back to London and then back to G8 tonight. Apparently, however, the contingency plans in place have gone smoothly.

--- Motz, thanks for the info. Good points! :notworthy:
Black Biscuit

RicheyJames wrote:johnny, your friend may not be "prone to fabrication" but i fail to see how her profession makes her passing on an unsubstantiated report any more credible than if she worked at the checkout in the local supermarket? if she has a genuine, direct source then fair enough but it sounds to me like she's just repeating a rumour which i've seen all t'internet today.

--- If her report is true and accurate, it will be good when we get the full story. I hope everyone in London, or with family/friends in the capital, gets good news. :?
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I guess the timing re: G8 is partly connected to the diversion of security expertise, and partly intended to deliver one huge slap in the face to Blair, Bush et al. I wouldn't think it has anything to do with Africa, aid or global warming. None of those are issues Osama and his cronies have blathered on about. He's not exactly an ecologist. The problem with Blair, Bush etc, if you're on that particular frequency, is principally that they're zionist infidels polluting the muslim holy land.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Black Biscuit

MrChris wrote:I guess the timing re: G8 is.... partly intended to deliver one huge slap in the face to Blair, Bush et al. I wouldn't think it has anything to do with Africa, aid or global warming. None of those are issues Osama and his cronies have blathered on about. He's not exactly an ecologist.
--- LOL! "Aladdin Bin Osama" is not exactly a humanitarian, is he ?!?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

it will serve as a better warning to the other G8 leaders because the attack is on the same hunk of rock as they are.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

There are still people I haven't heard from and it's giving me massive anxiety.
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Is anyone else having phone issues? I'm having trouble getting through to anyone.
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

CorpPunk wrote:There are still people I haven't heard from and it's giving me massive anxiety.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that they'll all be ok. :|
You can't fix stupid.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

are the telephone land lines up?

i gather they took the mobile networks down so that the emergency services could use them (standard practice with stuff like this).

presumably if people are surfing t'interweb then the phone land lines are unaffected... :?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

CorpPunk - Yes, most of the mobile networks are down. Those that are still functioning have either been intentionally disabled to prevent mobile phones activating further bombs, or have been appropriated by emergency services and the like.

Try landlines, it's your best bet. Sympathies to you, I just spent an agonising thirty minutes trying to track down a mate.
Black Alice
Emotional Vampyre

Some people in my office managed to get a text through on a mobile, but no calls. The land lines seem to be working though.

@CorpPunk - I know how you feel - best of luck tracking down your loved ones. I had to wait an awful 4 hours before we heard from Dad.

Keep trying
I never talk during music, at least during good music. If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I was lucky and got through to my brother on his mobile on only the second attempt, but he says the whole system was f*cked by sheer weight of calls of people trying to check if their loved ones are OK.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Eva wrote:
CorpPunk wrote:There are still people I haven't heard from and it's giving me massive anxiety.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that they'll all be ok. :|
Absolutely. It isn't easy getting calls to or from the city at the moment.

My mate is thankfully on the train out of town to Southampton.

My thoughts are with you Corpy.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Major de Coverly
Road Kill

Quit stressin' honey drop dew.

Big kiss.

Maj.
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Phew. Okay, I've got hold of everyone. FYI--I don't know if this is just because I'm calling internationally, but I couldn't get through on a few landlines either.
aims
Overbomber

Johnny: A Police spokesperson has apparently "received no reports of a police sniper shooting anyone dead". That was in response to a journalist's question at the joint emergency services news conference just now. However, he also had no knowledge of the controlled explosion which the BBC has shown footage of, so it may still be true.
Major de Coverly
Road Kill

Our international lines a bit iffy.

Thermals are currents of rising hot air which keep the glider aloft. If there is enough humidity in the air, they will top out with the creation of those nice little fluffy summer fair weather clouds that Andy Pandy likesto play with his cats under. If not humid enough, you have to try and find them by looking at ground features (eg car park gets hot, heats air above faster than a grass field or lake). And if there are no thermals glider lands in field. Hopefully safely.

Wot no kiss back? But I want one.
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Hmmm, interesting. So you're saying the only thing between you and the pavement is a lot of hot air. Scary.

Big sloppy kisses for being alive! :kiss: :kiss:
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Same s**t as in Spain...