Xtreme Music Group - Hard Rock & Tiger Tiger - rip off

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

there's a bit of a scam doing the rounds trying to fleece money from young leeds bands...

steve scaramanga, from huddersfield's the scaramanga six and indie label wrath records has done some investigation and has sent around the following email with his findings to his wrath mailing list...

it seemed approriate so i thought i'd post it here too:

---------------------------------------
Hello Wrathsters,

Greetings to you all.

Following a blanket email sent to many bands around this area, It has come to our attention that an event is being planned to take place in our home city of Leeds by a US company called Xtreme Music Group (www.xtrememg.com) under the guise of being a 'Major label showcase'. Please take the time to read through the following, then make up your own mind!

First of all, here's the email:

'ATTENTION BANDS, SINGERS, SONGWRITERS, AND SOLO ARTISTS:

U.S. and U.K. Major Record Labels
will be searching for new talent at
HARD ROCK CAFE and TIGER TIGER in LEEDS, ENGLAND

October 11th, 12th, 13th, 14st, 15nd and 16th Only!

What will happen?
Each registered Artist will perform 2 complete songs in front of the Major Record Labels. When the artist is finished performing they will exit the stage and personally speak, one on one, with the representatives from the Record Labels. Attending also will be national and regional independent labels, managers, promoters, and other industry personnel.

THERE WILL BE WORKSHOPS ALSO FROM THE MUSIC INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS DAILY AND A HUGE CONFERENCE CLOSING PARTY ON SUNDAY AT THE HARD ROCK CAFE AFTER THE LAST PERFORMANCE!
ARE YOU READY TO BE SIGNED?

Who is eligible?
THIS IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
SOLO ARTISTS, SINGERS, SONGWRITERS, GROUPS, and BANDS IN ALL GENRES AND EVERY TYPE OF MUSIC ARE ENCOURAGED TO REGISTER!!!
HOW TO REGISTER?
There are only a LIMITED number of performance times available.
This event will be 100% Filled, So Call Now!

BEFORE YOU CALL!
1. Select a day that you would like to perform on. October 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th Only!
2. Select the time of the day; Late Afternoon, or Evening for your performance.
3. Make sure that your selected time is okay with all parties that are in your group before you call.
4. CALL TOLL FREE 0800 783 1650 NOW FOR COMPLETE DETAILS AND IMMEDIATE REGISTRATION!
NOTE: If you call the office after hours or reach voice mail, leave a detailed message and the Conference Director will contact you in the order that your message was left as soon as possible. '

So where's the catch? Well, I called Xtreme Music Group on the number above to find out about this immediate registration to perform and was advised that there is a fee for artist registration of £299.99 - half of it payable right now, and the other half to be collected on the day of performance. Of course, I declined.

£299.99 to perform 2 songs. Did you get that?

Our opinion is that this is quite clearly a 'Pay To Play' situation. Though there's nothing illegal about this, we feel there is a very strong moral issue going on here. Should we allow musicians/bands to be lured into parting with nearly £300 for the privilege of playing just 2 songs in front of a panel of A&R scouts from Major Record Labels? Even if the presence of these A&R reps is confirmed, can anyone justify that any performer should have to pay to play full stop? It is exploitation of the gullible and desperate for a large amount of cash, simple as that. 6 Dates, at least 20 acts a night performing 2 songs each, £300 a pop - you do the maths and work out who benefits most from this 'Showcase'.

Since this has been announced, an informal group of us musicians/promoters/music fans from the Leeds area have been doing a some more digging/lobbying. It has become evident that the Leeds branch of Hard Rock Cafe had never contractually agreed to host such an event, in fact (and to their credit), now that they have been made aware of the deal for performers they have stated categorically that they WILL NOT have any involvement with Xtreme Music Group, or this nefarious conference. We are still waiting to hear from other venues concerned and will keep up pressure.

So, despite the fact that no dates were actually booked for this conference, the email still went out to musicians in the area and Xtreme Music Group are already taking registration fees for this. By the way, there is a rather convenient 'no refunds' policy in the smallprint on their website.

We would advise any musician/artist thinking about taking up the offer from Xtreme Music Group to THINK TWICE. There will undoubtedly still be some musicians toying with this who perhaps haven't heard the facts, so I would appreciate it if you could forward this message on to anyone you know who might appreciate the advice along with the following pointers:

a) A&R employees and scouts are already active at Leeds venues, and talk regularly with promoters and other contacts about new bands. If you have something special you will be noticed. Don’t panic. If you’re doing something they are interested in, you will be seen. You don’t need to pay to have anyone check you out – it’s A&R’s job to check you out. That’s what they do.

b) Guidance and support is already available throughout the year in Leeds. Just get out and about and you’ll find it. The City Council organise the excellent Bright Young Things showcase and support a range of advice sessions every year. There are local labels, studios and websites with plenty of contacts. And training.

c) Promoters at all the Leeds venues are really committed to encouraging new artists and there are plenty of opportunities to get on a stage with a decent pa and a sympathetic reception. If you’re any good at all then local radio, fanzines, and websites will get on your side and help you to the next level (whatever that turns out to be for you)

d) No promoters in Leeds will charge you for playing, or insist on you selling tickets, before you can play. If you pull a crowd, you will get paid. If you are good they will ask you to come back and tell others about you. There are also venues where you can run your own show if that's what you want.

None of us would take up an offer like the one being offered by Xtreme. The company has no track record of success in its presentation, so it is safe to assume it has had none. Xtreme has no stake in Leeds and no long standing connection with any of the Leeds venues, promoters or musicians.

Leeds has a lot going for it at the moment. And so, we guess, do you. We think you should have enough faith in your own city and your own talent to leave this one alone. Spend your money on something more valuable – a new instrument, a demo recording session or a good night out watching and talking to some of the current Leeds stars (they will talk – don’t be shy!). Our strong advice is to talk to some experienced people about this. Whatever you do – talk to someone who has been around a bit and then decide. Don't just sign up.

Thanks for listening - I'll try and keep you posted on any developments with this situation. Please let me know if you want a list of the participating A&R reps.
Cheers,
Steve
c/o
www.wrathrecords.co.uk
---------------------------------------

shifty eh? i would echo steve's sentiments and advise anyone in a band around leeds to avoid this like the plague.

ripping off bastards. :evil:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'd suggest advising everyone you know in Leeds to avoid going too. Imagine a room full of (non-existent) A&R men, no crowd, and no bands :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Ed Rhombus
Slight Overbomber

A few guys from the Leeds Music Scene called the venue and pointed this out.

They were unaware it was a Pay to Play Event, which the manager doesn't think is in keeping with what they are trying to do there. The upshot of which is she has pulled it!
Ed Rhombus

There for you (weather permiting)

www.rhombus-rock.com
https://www.facebook.com/rhombus.uk
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ed Rhombus wrote:The upshot of which is she has pulled it!
Good! :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Black Biscuit
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

My agent's company got purchased by none other than Bill Gates - yet I still achieve more by promoting myself. DIY, folks!
.... there is no semblance of rock 'n roll around here!