The Last Magician Of Rational Thought

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

"The Last Magician Of Rational Thought" 7" Palazzograssi bootleg

Actually, I was meaning to ask, where did that name come from? Was it from an old play or story (as in "Rain From Heaven" coming from The Merchant Of Venice)?

:?: :?: :?:

[edit: Trimmed by QB from the currently watching thread]
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The name The Last Magician Of Rational Thought is IIRC from Steven King's The Stand.
Last edited by markfiend on 27 Jul 2005, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

been meaning to ask actually, where is the version of FALAA from this 7" from?

i've never heard it before and its very groovy. there's a slightly different intro and there's a bit on the middle 8/bridge where its just the bass and drums for a few bars.

nice 8)

as far as i know its not on the demos & rarities 4cd set, and i've never heard it anywhere else :?:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
taylor
Slight Overbomber

it comes from wea 3 master tapes set from a wea insider that gave it to palazzograssi guy. After sold for high price to an avid collector.
Last edited by taylor on 27 Jul 2005, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
deadagain
Banned

taylor wrote:it comes from wea 3 master tapes from a wea inside that gave them to palazzograssi guy. After sold for high price to an avid collector.
which was you wasn't it Taylor?
Is this the place I used to know as Fatherland?
Red_Kola
Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:been meaning to ask actually, where is the version of FALAA from this 7" from?

i've never heard it before and its very groovy. there's a slightly different intro and there's a bit on the middle 8/bridge where its just the bass and drums for a few bars.
Yeah, and the strings are high enough in the mix that you can actually hear that there are strings in the mix...
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

They must have turned them up to 11.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

:lol:

just done some more listening courtesy of some pointers from taylor and yep, its the "mack mix" from the "wea 85" tape.

clicky

see karst's 2nd post on that thread :oops: :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Stuff about The Stand split to here
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
nigel d
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

got my vhs from blockbuster video shop, 2 tapes but sold sepeartely the thieving gits (£4 each)
theyre in a box somewhere.
i am more likely to release an album before the sisters
allfear
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

There was a good goth band from leeds in the mid 90s that had taken there name from this bootleg
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

taylor wrote:it comes from wea 3 master tapes set from a wea insider that gave it to palazzograssi guy. After sold for high price to an avid collector.
Yet another set of recordings stolen and passed on to our Italian "friend" for packaging.

Its quite amazing the quantity of material that has leaked out of Village Place over the years. I can only put it down to coach parties full of thieves coming up the M62 to Leeds on day trips. It would be awful to think that friends and associates used to pass on demos, soundboard recordings and other items of paraphernalia for bootlegging and unofficial worldwide distribution.

Camp Bux recently discovered that one of the Palazzo Grassi organisation now lives in Wales, while the other remains in his native Italy. I'd consider advising The Sisters' legal beagles but I think that is punishment enough.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'd always assumed that given the amount of stuff Palazzograssi got hold of, they must have had at least a certain amount of collusion from :von:
I (on sisters wiki dot org) wrote:It's fairly clear that Palazzograssi obtain their recordings from a source very close to the band, so it has been the subject of much speculation how closely connected Palazzograssi is to Andrew Eldritch. It has been remarked that control over your own band's bootlegs is a very good way to make money from a band while circumventing the control of, and financial obligations to, a record company.
(Clicky)
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i heard that back in the day as it was a pretty "closed shop", and that their crew was made up mainly of people they knew. thus sound engineers, roadies, etc were all part of the sisters crowd of mates and probably knew each other.

also, you'd be stupid not to record your own gigs. or rehearsals. every band one does it - sometimes its good to listen back to so you can hear what you've done, where you can imrove, how a song sounds live, etc

also, mr marx suggested that eldritch used to prefer finished versions of tracks before he'd put a vocal down, hence there exists fairly polished demo tapes of various songs...

i think its quite possible that one of these "mates" from the crew thinks he knows a guy in italy who can press this stuff up and package it nicely, and so asks the people he knows if they can give him any live recordings from the soundboard etc - they might not even have known what was going to happen. they may have thought that this guy was just a fanatic and wanted decent recorduings for his own collection.

"mate, that gig sounded ace! you did a soundboard recording? lend us the tape... i'll give it you back i promise. no, no, no. of course i wont do anything with it. i just want to hear it again..."

;)

what year did the palazzograssi first surfice? wasnt it about 87 onwards?

what if the people behind it held onto this stuff out of curiosity, then realised there was a market for it, and that they could sell it for a fortune....

we dont know that the people from the crew that provided them with the stuff even knew what they were going to end up doing with it. at the time it could all have been fairly innocent. or at least naive...

:?:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

According to a source in Lincoln, the Phantom Twins were just two blokes from Leeds. Any Italian connection, other than the name, may just be from the fact that bootleg pressing was legal there, since the copyright existed in another country.
Now I think that loophole is closed, but still open in Australia.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Dark wrote:According to a source in Lincoln, the Phantom Twins were just two blokes from Leeds. Any Italian connection, other than the name, may just be from the fact that bootleg pressing was legal there, since the copyright existed in another country.
Now I think that loophole is closed, but still open in Australia.
yep, more or less that tallies with what i've "heard" (which admittedly is not much, and a lot of it comes from adding 2+2 and getting 7653.33).

the pressing etc was definitely done in italy, so at least 1 person in the chain was italian.

but as far as i know there was only one other person directly involved, and he was from around leeds. presumably thats the chap now in wales...?

from what i've been told von definitely wasnt involved in the production of the bootlegs, though he may have known that this chap was interested in "hearing" stuff and obtaining tapes. if he knew what the guy was doing with them, he didn't try to stop.
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 03 Aug 2005, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

And Victims Of Circumstance (be it the 7" bootleg or the tape bootleg), was that really Mr Marx's doing?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Dark wrote:And Victims Of Circumstance (be it the 7" bootleg or the tape bootleg), was that really Mr Marx's doing?
not his "doing" but he seemed to think that it originated from a tape that he owned, containing a collection of demos.

whether it "leaked" (nice euphamism :lol:) via friends of friends, or if it was just robbed by a keen-eyed visitor to his house is another matter and one that no one will probably ever know, or admit to.

from what mr marx has said in the past, and from what i've heard from other people, none of the demos or boots actually come from members of the band. its more likely that friends, crew members and "hangers on" saw an item of interest and were either legitimately given a copy to listen to, or they just "borrowed" it.
Dan
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:but as far as i know there was only one other person directly involved, and he was from around leeds. presumably thats the chap now in wales...?
I knew he knew Palazzograssi, even got tapes from him, but I never guessed he might have been directly invoilved. Yowza!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Dan wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:but as far as i know there was only one other person directly involved, and he was from around leeds. presumably thats the chap now in wales...?
I knew he knew Palazzograssi, even got tapes from him, but I never guessed he might have been directly invoilved. Yowza!
ahh, you know this "welsh" guy?
Dan
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
Dan wrote:
ahh, you know this "welsh" guy?
Yes. I'll no doubt see you later today so I'll tell you then. :D
Dark
Underneath the Rock

You won't see me. I want to know too. :cry:
aims
Overbomber

It's alright.

You don't exist when he doesn't see you :innocent:

Or some other poor bastardization of a Vision Thing lyric ;)
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Motz wrote:It's alright.

You don't exist when he doesn't see you :innocent:

Or some other poor bastardization of a Vision Thing lyric ;)
Best find me webcam. :lol:
taylor
Slight Overbomber

I can assure that nobody italian was involved in the project but just them used an italian pressing plant as nobody at time wanted done this in Uk. A first run of VOC was done in Uk but the result was dreadfull so them changed the printer. Them meet him during a holiday in Italy as was described in depth in the Umarked door cd booklet. All guys are from Uk
2 for the Phantom twins, 2 for the Palazzo.