Most overrated albums in the world

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

pandemon wrote:as for overrated... I must say Ms. Marilyn Manson

Sure, there's a few songs worth listening to every now and then, but he's just as overrated as Nirvana in my opinion.
I'd say ten times as :wink:

I think Nirvana were in some way meaningful to the world (yadda yadda), whereas (s)he is mostly meaningful to himself (though he made some very valid comments in Bowling for Columbine :notworthy: )
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

Obviousman wrote:I think Nirvana were in some way meaningful to the world
they were? i must have missed that meeting. care to elucidate?
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

RicheyJames wrote:
World meaning music world, obiously...

Of course each band means different things to different people, but eg. to me: Thanks to them I got into rock music (which, believe me, was a complete U-turn back then), even though I don't really listen to them that much anymore, and I'm pretty sure there'll be much more people like that. Also, with their Unplugged album they were (one of the) first band(s) to show some rock-type guys the greatness of unplugged music. And the Unplugged album is a great one, has loads of emotion in it, as the matter of fact it is the only Nirvana record I still listen to every now and then...
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Nirvana. Most over-rated band ever. Three chords and an attitude Kurt? Been done. To death.

Having read as much of that dreadful Journals book that I could stand, I come to the conclusion that Cobain, to quote Jello Biafra, "ain't no artist he's a businessman". As much a commercial cop-out as KISS.

I hated Nirvana at the time and I still do. So what if Courtney Love killed him? Did the world a favour IMO.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

Obviousman wrote:
RicheyJames wrote:
Of course each band means different things to different people, but eg. to me: Thanks to them I got into rock music (which, believe me, was a complete U-turn back then), even though I don't really listen to them that much anymore, and I'm pretty sure there'll be much more people like that.
and you find it utterly inconceivable that marilyn manson could have the same effect on kids today? you need to look beyond your own blinkered world view.
Also, with their Unplugged album they were (one of the) first band(s) to show some rock-type guys the greatness of unplugged music.
and that's just nonsense. by the time nirvana recorded their unplugged session for mtv in 1993 the format had already been running for four years and featured world famous artists such as elton john, the cure and rem. it was mtv themselves who were responsible for a resurgence in acoustic rock not nirvana.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Much as there is a lot of sneering at Marilyn Manson among certain people, he is a very intelligent fella. And OK, like I just said about Kurt up there, commercial rather than artistic; he seems these days to be more interested in shelling out commercial shock-rock for the kids (especially when his "intelligent musical departure" album Mechanical Animals didn't sell too well :innocent:)

Having said that, I think he had some interesting ideas for a while, and he certainly has a far more interesting girlfriend than Kurt did :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

RicheyJames wrote:
Obviousman wrote:
RicheyJames wrote: they were? i must have missed that meeting. care to elucidate?
Of course each band means different things to different people, but eg. to me: Thanks to them I got into rock music (which, believe me, was a complete U-turn back then), even though I don't really listen to them that much anymore, and I'm pretty sure there'll be much more people like that.
and you find it utterly inconceivable that marilyn manson could have the same effect on kids today? you need to look beyond your own blinkered world view.
Also, with their Unplugged album they were (one of the) first band(s) to show some rock-type guys the greatness of unplugged music.
and that's just nonsense. by the time nirvana recorded their unplugged session for mtv in 1993 the format had already been running for four years and featured world famous artists such as elton john, the cure and rem. it was mtv themselves who were responsible for a resurgence in acoustic rock not nirvana.
Allright, appologies :wink:
About the unplugged thingy, I was looking it up, but could not find it, that's why I put in the stuff between brackets. Still, compared to the three artists you mentioned they were more hard rockish, right? Or were there other bands :?:

@Markfiend: Does his girlfriend have any interest in killing him then? :innocent:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol: No.

Marilyn Manson's g/f is burlesque artist Dita von Teese. (not worksafe)
—Bertrand Russell
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

Obviousman wrote:About the unplugged thingy, I was looking it up, but could not find it, that's why I put in the stuff between brackets. Still, compared to the three artists you mentioned they were more hard rockish, right? Or were there other bands :?:
there were dozens more bands across all genres. i picked those three more or less at random. i'd suggest that poison were even less likely candidates for an unplugged session than junkie cobain and his cohorts.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

RicheyJames wrote:poison
Now there's a band! :twisted:
:oops: I'll get me coat. :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the utah saints unplugged, anyone? :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
pandemon
Road Kill

Quiff Boy wrote:the utah saints unplugged, anyone? :lol:
:eek: :lol:
... keep laughing ... kindredspirits.tk - debut album out now!
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

I saw that episode of Mary Whitehouse Experience.

Altogether now: 'That's you, that is.'
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
straylight
Amphetamine Filth

All of Nirvana'a albums. Whine whine whine. If you must complain at least liven it up with some wit.

Likewise the Beatles. Life really must have been dull in the sixties to get excitied about them.
Batfish
Road Kill

straylight wrote:All of Nirvana'a albums. Whine whine whine. If you must complain at least liven it up with some wit.
Bill Bailey does a bit on the self-pitying whine of the American rawk band: Lyrics include the lines "How can I feel pain, when you're being so supportive?" :lol:
mik
Chameleons Guru

andymackem wrote:
I saw that episode of Mary Whitehouse Experience.

Altogether now: 'That's you, that is.'
(spits in hand)
See that?
That's your swimming pool that is.

Over-rated eh?
I've been saying for years that Radiohead are the biggest case of 'Emporers New Clothes' that I've had the misfortune to listen to.

Heading up my personal list of most overrated:
Queen Everything I hate about music in one band; saves me the trouble of hating anyone else but I persevere.
David Gray f**k. Off.
Anthony and the Johnsons Double. f**k. Off. With chips you fat twit.
Travis T. I'll wait. "Why does it always rain on me?" Cos you're a whining cnut, that's why.
Gomez I wish you'd all stayed in your student hovels listening to The Smiths and killed yourselves before releasing anyting.
Keane As above but not even original.
Muse If there's a point its not very obvious is it?
Razorlight Apart from the singer knocking Docherty on his arse at the Leeds festy they've not done a single thing that was worth watching or listening to.

There was a thread over at "the Other Place" where a lovely bloke called Manero would give a 1-10 word critique of any band you'd care to mention. If I had the time I'd resurrect it here :)
Something pithy.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I think you've just volunteered, Mik. :wink:
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Nirvana - can I interest anyone in Cold-Blooded Animal - China's leading out-there rock whiners par excellence? They're not quite as bad as they sound, possibly because they sing in Chinese and I can't be bothered to read the translated lyrics. Silver Ash are more fun though, in a wholly artificial way.

Hated bands: pretty much anything in the charts. That started as an attitude thing, and became a self-fulfilling prophecy. The best I can say for (a handful of) them is that I listened to similar crap in my day and it eventually led me to better things.

Queen, bizarrely, I've always quite liked. They just wrote some good songs. That'll do for me.

REM grate on me, but that's down to associations.

I think I'd probably have the Beatles as the band I'd most happily never hear again, though. I just don't get them at all. Important, sure, but close to unlistenable in all their various phases.
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Oasis. One good album. Several multi-selling dross albums.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Planet Dave wrote:Oasis. One good album. Several multi-selling dross albums.
And above all a dreadful live appeareance

Once saw them at Werchter, and the singer (forgot which one is which) would just stand behind his mic, bend over to sing a bit, stand up straight again, make a bit of noise with his instrument (you know, one of those round things with cymbals in it, don't even know how it's called in Dutch), bend over, stand up, make noice, ad infinitum :roll:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I think a lot of modern rap music gets too much time from the critics... when it's mostly incredibly derivative and formulaic now, doesn't appear to have changed in years.

The likes of Public Enemy deserve all the respect they get, but am I really reading a review in the goddamn Observer of 50 Cent's new album? :roll:
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

boudicca wrote:I think a lot of modern rap music gets too much time from the critics... when it's mostly incredibly derivative and formulaic now, doesn't appear to have changed in years.

The likes of Public Enemy deserve all the respect they get, but am I really reading a review in the goddamn Observer of 50 Cent's new album? :roll:
My problem with most rap is that it's nothing but about rubbish news, 90% of it is not understandable after half a year anymore, and completely without value after 20 years...
Music has to have some value 'for eternity'
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
JAMES RAY
4080 Peru

most over-rated - Everything by Pink Floyd
I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Obviousman wrote:
boudicca wrote:I think a lot of modern rap music gets too much time from the critics... when it's mostly incredibly derivative and formulaic now, doesn't appear to have changed in years.

My problem with most rap is that it's nothing but about rubbish news, 90% of it is not understandable after half a year anymore, and completely without value after 20 years...
Music has to have some value 'for eternity'
My problem is - Versace... ass... bitches... Mercedes Benz - make a combination of these words and you have a rap lyric :roll: .

Light-years away from "It Takes A Nation Of Millions..." To me, a lot of it has become like the most turgid Stadium rock... it used to be a genuine radical voice which really did come from the all-important Streets and really did have something to say, now it's just pure, lazy smugness.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

boudicca wrote: now it's just pure, lazy smugness.
which unfortunately my 12 yr-old lad listens to non-stop, no doubt in an attempt to be 'hip' and 'street'. Please let it be a phase. Please.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.