Vancouver - Commodore Ballroom - 26th March

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the mammoth 2006 25th Anniversary tour.
TheBoyNextDoor
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

This gig is now added to the ticket pre-sales.

26 gigs.. where will it end? ;)
Last edited by TheBoyNextDoor on 23 Jan 2006, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
Brad

Holy fcuk!!!!
Now let's swing east to Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg!!
TheBoyNextDoor

Or maybe a little further east.. to Europe. 8)
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Have never made such a good guess, although the live page almost screamed out Vancouver the 26th..and commodore seemed like the only appropriate venue.
But now I think the North american leg is finally over, the midwest on the way back wouldn't really pay off, would it? Vanc is apart from that a splendid place to end the tour...and Gibson lives there, doesn't he? :-)

Interesting speculation now is: WHEN is the European tour coming? Surely before summer I think? Because Robochrist is according to himself going to play festivals on his own then...
Brad

I would still like to indulge in some wishful thinking.
It is likely Vancouver will be the final gig, but I would still like to see Minneapolis thrown in on the 15th.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Damn, I wish I had the money, then I'd pop over a kill a few birds with one stone so to speak.

Vancouver's a second home to me. I miss it a lot.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Doctor E
Road Kill

TheBoyNextDoor wrote:This gig is now added to the ticket pre-sales.

26 gigs.. where will it end? ;)
Hi BoyNextDoor:

Can you tell us please where you got the information about the Vancouver gig (March 26). It is not on the Sisters' official web page. Neither is it listed by Ticketmaster.ca.

Many thanks,

Doctor E
TheBoyNextDoor

Doctor E wrote: Hi BoyNextDoor:

Can you tell us please where you got the information about the Vancouver gig (March 26). It is not on the Sisters' official web page. Neither is it listed by Ticketmaster.ca.

Many thanks,

Doctor E
It's in the pre-sale section. Login and you'll find it on the third page.
Doctor E
Road Kill

TheBoyNextDoor wrote: It's in the pre-sale section. Login and you'll find it on the third page.
Kind thanks!

I hope Eldritch's voice will still sound like "a ton of bricks hitting the Himalayas," as a reviewer once put it, by the time the band hits Vancouver.

All the best,
Doctor E
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.
arbee
Road Kill

Anyone on Heartland attending this show other than me?
Doctor E
Road Kill

arbee wrote:Anyone on Heartland attending this show other than me?
I am!

A top nite out with Andy, hopefully!
daggs
Amphetamine Filth

you're all probably sleeping it off right now but I hope you guys had a good time last night (well...obviously!). reviews and set list would be interesting :)
"f**k me and marry me young"
Doctor E
Road Kill

Great venue, good crowd, decent sound, great set list. Unfortunately, Eldritch’s vocal performance was very disappointing. At times, there were glimpses of The Voice, but that was all.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i don't mean to p*ss on anybody's parade here, honest, but some people have difficulty in letting the man move at all...if he doesn't give what you specifically go to hear, you'll say it's a botched performance...in this case, you want to hear him sing the way he did in -98 (or whatever) and if he doesn't, well, f**k'im. One can only begin to imagine how gratifying it would be to do the same voc performance year after year in order to please the fans when sometimes you rather feel like growling or hissing or wailing.
This's nothing to do with whether he could or not...doesn't change the thing at all if he couldn't (in the same vein, i rather like Leonard Cohen's voice much better now than when he was young, though he sings quite differently and probably couldn't sing the same way at all anymore, but i've no idea whether fans of his are complaining that he's not really singing these days but rather talking).
Given what little i've heard from this year's tour it's rather silly to complain about his performance...no, it's not the same as it was a few years ago, but it's as brilliant, just in a rather different way.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Doctor E
Road Kill

itnAklipse wrote:i don't mean to p*ss on anybody's parade here, honest, but some people have difficulty in letting the man move at all...if he doesn't give what you specifically go to hear, you'll say it's a botched performance...in this case, you want to hear him sing the way he did in -98 (or whatever) and if he doesn't, well, f**k'im. One can only begin to imagine how gratifying it would be to do the same voc performance year after year in order to please the fans when sometimes you rather feel like growling or hissing or wailing.
This's nothing to do with whether he could or not...doesn't change the thing at all if he couldn't (in the same vein, i rather like Leonard Cohen's voice much better now than when he was young, though he sings quite differently and probably couldn't sing the same way at all anymore, but i've no idea whether fans of his are complaining that he's not really singing these days but rather talking).
Given what little i've heard from this year's tour it's rather silly to complain about his performance...no, it's not the same as it was a few years ago, but it's as brilliant, just in a rather different way.
First, were you at the Vancouver gig? Second, don't put words in my mouth.
Badlander
Overbomber

Doctor E wrote:
itnAklipse wrote:i don't mean to p*ss on anybody's parade here, honest, but some people have difficulty in letting the man move at all...if he doesn't give what you specifically go to hear, you'll say it's a botched performance...in this case, you want to hear him sing the way he did in -98 (or whatever) and if he doesn't, well, f**k'im. One can only begin to imagine how gratifying it would be to do the same voc performance year after year in order to please the fans when sometimes you rather feel like growling or hissing or wailing.
First, were you at the Vancouver gig? Second, don't put words in my mouth.
:eek: No need to fight guys. :roll: 8)
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
kurtz
Road Kill

CellThree wrote:Damn, I wish I had the money, then I'd pop over a kill a few birds with one stone so to speak.

for some reason, i miss it to. but only 'cos i moved away in november SPECIFICALLY because the sisters would never be bothered with such a place. (oh, i suppose there were other reasons too, but they might add to my legend....)

guess i've been proven wrong.

sooooooooooo....

set list, people?

i heard it was a little quiet and the crowd was a little irritating, but that's what you get for a report when you send your two most 'hunter s thompson' friends with heads FULL of chemical narcotics to something like this....

frankly, i'm surprised there wasn't more violence...

anyway, for what it's worth the commodore's a pretty sweet venue, so i don't understand how on earth there could have been sound issues, especially volumewise. when i saw ministry there twice last year my ears were bleeding...
arbee
Road Kill

I first went to a concert at The Commodore in 1974 to see the New York Dolls and have been to many shows there over the years. However when I entered the Commodore last night I realized that although I still attend concerts, the last time I was in The Commodore was in 1991 to see Tin Machine!! My buddy and I spent at least a half hour reminiscing about all the great shows we had seen there from Kiss to U2 to The Clash....and on and on we went. That place holds a lot of great memories for me, and to finally see The Sisters of Mercy for the first time after being a fan since 1983, in The Commodore, seemed somewhat fitting.

We ended up about 8-10 feet in front of Andrew and had a great view throughout the show. I had no issues with the sound or the smoke and lighting, and despite the fact there were many songs I would have loved to hear, I knew they weren't going to play, I still liked the setlist. Highlights for me were Crash and Burn, Lucretia, Temple of Love, Alice, Vision Thing, Dominion/Mother Russia....I do not have a complete setlist, because despite the fact I have all their albums and most 12" singles, there were a few songs I was not familiar with, which I guess are either newer songs or just unreleased tracks. I see their names on the setlists but do not know which songs are which without finding bootlegs etc. We both thought that Andrew looked great and seemed to be in top form and enjoying himself. The crowd was receptive and appreciative throughout. At the end of the show we both agreed it was a great show and were really glad that we had gone. The only "downer" for me was that I really wish more than ever that I had seen them in the 83-85 period when they were far and away my favorite band.

A complete setlist would be much appreciated.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

nice review. thanks...

it´s nice to see that someone ejoyed the show!!!! :notworthy:
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
Doctor E
Road Kill

kurtz wrote:
CellThree wrote:Damn, I wish I had the money, then I'd pop over a kill a few birds with one stone so to speak.

for some reason, i miss it to. but only 'cos i moved away in november SPECIFICALLY because the sisters would never be bothered with such a place. (oh, i suppose there were other reasons too, but they might add to my legend....)

guess i've been proven wrong.

sooooooooooo....

set list, people?

Here's the setlist (not in absolutely perfect order)

Crash and Burn
Ribbons
Doctor Jeep
Detonation Boulevard
Will I Dream?
Flood I
Burn
Alice
We Are the Same, Susanne
Summer
Giving Ground
Flood II
Slept
Anaconda
Romeo Down
Dominion/Mother Russia

(Short Break)

Something Fast
Lucretia My Reflection

(Short Break)

Snub Nose
Temple of Love
Vision Thing
cultchild
Road Kill

arbee wrote:I first went to a concert at The Commodore in 1974 to see the New York Dolls and have been to many shows there over the years. However when I entered the Commodore last night I realized that although I still attend concerts, the last time I was in The Commodore was in 1991 to see Tin Machine!! My buddy and I spent at least a half hour reminiscing about all the great shows we had seen there from Kiss to U2 to The Clash....and on and on we went. That place holds a lot of great memories for me, and to finally see The Sisters of Mercy for the first time after being a fan since 1983, in The Commodore, seemed somewhat fitting.

We ended up about 8-10 feet in front of Andrew and had a great view throughout the show. I had no issues with the sound or the smoke and lighting, and despite the fact there were many songs I would have loved to hear, I knew they weren't going to play, I still liked the setlist. Highlights for me were Crash and Burn, Lucretia, Temple of Love, Alice, Vision Thing, Dominion/Mother Russia....I do not have a complete setlist, because despite the fact I have all their albums and most 12" singles, there were a few songs I was not familiar with, which I guess are either newer songs or just unreleased tracks. I see their names on the setlists but do not know which songs are which without finding bootlegs etc. We both thought that Andrew looked great and seemed to be in top form and enjoying himself. The crowd was receptive and appreciative throughout. At the end of the show we both agreed it was a great show and were really glad that we had gone. The only "downer" for me was that I really wish more than ever that I had seen them in the 83-85 period when they were far and away my favorite band.

A complete setlist would be much appreciated.

good to see you enjoyed the show and correct me if i'm wrong but it was the sisters first visit to vancouver? .... and welcome to hl....
THE LIGHTS ARE DOING SOME STRANGE THINGS TO MY HEAD
arbee
Road Kill

I am quite sure it was their first visit to Vancouver. I lived in Toronto from 83-88, and never saw them there, and I am sure they didn't come to Vancouver during that period or since.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Definitely their first gig in Vancouver. Glad you enjoyed it, arbee. Welcome to HL. I have to agree with you about seeing them at their most wild in 83. That'd have been something. Not sure about 85. Gone a bit goth, I'd say. :innocent: Thankfully they are now, truly, a supercharged psychedelic techno rock band. With bells on (quiet ones, sometimes, but bells nonetheless :von: :notworthy: )
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
TheBoyNextDoor

A quite nice review was done by Release Magazine - http://www.releasemagazine.net/ - look under news.

Remember, those guys were at M'era Luna the last year and did a review of the festival, but didn't even see the Sisters, only pointed out that they will never be the same.... blah blah.