A New Musical Genre Has Been Born

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

I’ve had way too much time on my hands, so I decided to create a new genre of music. I call it TECHNO JAZZ. The idea is techno drum beats, jazz trumpets, and beat poetry. Rather silly, but I quite like it.

I got my friend to mix some mp3s together to see if the idea would work. We took and sped up the drum beat from Streets of Philadelphia, put the trumpets from the film Naked Lunch over it, and then laid Allen Ginsberg reading poetry over that.

Here’s the outcome.

The brilliant thing is no one can call it rubbish, because I’ll just say it’s too innovative for them, ala Throbbing Gristle. Yes, pretty soon all the hip cats will be sitting in cafes, reading Camus to TechnoJazz. :lol:
Badlander
Overbomber

nick the stripper wrote:I’ve had way too much time on my hands, so I decided to create a new genre of music. I call it TECHNO JAZZ. The idea is techno drum beats, jazz trumpets, and beat poetry.
A bit like acid jazz then ? :innocent: :P :lol:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Badlander wrote:
nick the stripper wrote:I’ve had way too much time on my hands, so I decided to create a new genre of music. I call it TECHNO JAZZ. The idea is techno drum beats, jazz trumpets, and beat poetry.
A bit like acid jazz then ? :innocent: :P :lol:
No, it’s not like Acid Jazz. It’s very, very different. :innocent:

:lol:
I came up with the idea, googled around, found Acid Jazz and thought sod it, I’ll do it anyways.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Madness. :lol: I like your style.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pat
Slight Overbomber

It's far too innovative for me. :twisted: :lol:
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Pat wrote:It's far too innovative for me. :twisted: :lol:
Philistine. :lol:
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I like it, it's out there, but I think it could go further.
I'll pass it on to a more knowledgeable mate, and see what he thinks...

Keep it up!
Andy TG
Overbomber

@ Nick - Your Very Weird! - and that is meant as a compliment ;-)
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
valeryg
Road Kill

well done :P :notworthy:

sounds pretty much like Tuxedomoon... :D :notworthy:
mh
Above the Chemist

Compelling.
Interesting.
Different.

Do you get a free beret and oversized shiny white trousers hanging round your arse with each purchase?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
aims
Overbomber

Great stuff :notworthy:
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Aye, thanks for all the - uh - compliments. 8) I should thank my friend Max for helping me mix these together. As said before, these are demos to see if the idea would work. I’m planning on making a four track EP of original material in this style.

here's the latest track. It's not as out there as the last one and is more mellow.
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Interesting indeed. Very Drum 'n Bassy drum, I'd say
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Gottdammerung
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Check these tracks if you can find them... I'll have a root about for MP3 locations later..

Geezer - Shut Up - Smitten 48

Dave the Drummer - Hydro 9 - Hydraulix

The first one I cannot figure where the sample is from but it sounds VERY Tim Leary..

The second one is the roughest techno tune ever to sample Gill Scott Heron's Television... it's still getting dropped four years after it came out!
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
Gottdammerung

http://www.truelove.co.uk

Go into the mail order section and you can choose tracks from the Smitten and Hydraulix labels..

its 99p a track but the two I listed are awesome and well worth the cash..
You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye

Hunter S. Thompson
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Thanks, Gottdammerung, I'll check those tracks out. :notworthy:
Gottdammerung

No probs.. I think the Heron-sampling track on Hydro 9 is Side A.. can't be sure.. ain't had my records out for a while dammit... :(

Hunter S. Thompson
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Nice experiment, on the first song I would mix the drums louder, they fall away a bit...

And sometimes there are some rather dissonant chords in there. Nice in Jazzmusic, but there is a difference between weird chords and dissonant chords ;)

Second track is more coherent, but that synthy acid line starts to sound a bit annoying after a while... But LOVE the saxomophone! ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...