Something fast Again...

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
Dimehart
Amphetamine Filth

"Hailing maries left and right
but none of them slow down"

What does do two lines mean? I remember reading somewhere it was a joke of some kind but I didn't get it :(
"Love is the empty place where loneliness is born"
hallucienate
Overbomber

Hail Mary is a catholic prayer: http://www.udayton.edu/mary/resources/flhm.html

One would also hail a taxi, or another kind of ride.
Dimehart
Amphetamine Filth

Thank You!
Now I got at least one part of the joke! :notworthy:
Dimehart
Amphetamine Filth

Hoopla! I got promoted with that reply :D :eek: 8)
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Dimehart wrote:Thank You!
Now I got at least one part of the joke! :notworthy:

alcohol does strange things to the brain, but at about 3.00am on the Sunday after the Leeds gig, we were sitting in a bar talking about this song. Whether it should be slow or slows down to be grammatically correct :?: and a thought occurred

none as written nun as spoken, thereby the old half nun half prostitute gag again. :von:

yeah, i know, but as i've written beer was involved
Goths have feelings too
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

'Maries' can also be prostitutes.

The line 'Give me Something Fast' has numerous meanings:

1)I want a fast car ("none of them slow down" etc.)
2)Give me something quickly (in anticpation of a future something - pain/loss/come-down/leg amputation/childbirth etc.).
3)Give me Speed (Amphetamine/speed/fast etc.)(as opposed to a drug that slows ya down.)
Overbomber

slicepack wrote:The line 'Give me Something Fast' has numerous meanings:

1)I want a fast car ("none of them slow down" etc.)
2)Give me something quickly (in anticpation of a future something - pain/loss/come-down/leg amputation/childbirth etc.).
3)Give me Speed (Amphetamine/speed/fast etc.)(as opposed to a drug that slows ya down.)
One more possibility: Give me something lasting, dependable, solid. Think of fast friends or a fast rule. (Hm, mayne two different possibilitirs, actually.) So, instead of a quick fix (no pun intenfed, really), look for something dependable.
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

Yeah - hadn't thought of that one. Yours is certainly the most literate.
Slight Overbomber

Hello everyone, I'm new here
Actually, I've been reading for a few weeks, but I've just taken the plunge and signed up

I have a couple of thoughts about Something Fast. Hailing maries makes me think of Black Marias, i.e. police vehicles (see Afterhours). The line in the song is obviously about cars, anyway. :roll:

In terms of the name, it's always made me think of James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause. He's having a row with his parents, about to go off and do something stupid. They try to reason with him, at which point he says: 'If you're gonna gimme something, gimme something fast'. :?

That's my tuppenyworth, anyway

see ya

Chris
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
hallucienate
Overbomber

I was skipping through my Miami 1991 video last night and Von introduce Something Fast as "a song about drugs". Which ties is nicely with Slicepack's third point.

and welcome MrChris!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

all von's songs are about drugs ;) :roll: :lol:

i've always seen it as something more akin to mrchris' point... (welcome, btw!)

i missed the jimmy dean reference though! nice! :notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Thanks

In terms of overall theme, a hard one to figure, but you could pick out a fairly veiled attack on televangelism and perhaps organised religion more generally ('all the things we never needed'...you can hail maries all night to no avail...).

Not totally confident about this one, but the second verse especially says something to me...

'God knows everybody needs
A hand in their decision
Some of us are not so sure
[that we need to make decisions for ourselves]
I seen his own held out
For a ride on television
[via a televangelist?]
I think he's still in Baltimore'

[1969 And All That wonders if 'Baltimore' refers to the Baltimore Catechisms, which explain the basic elements of Christianity. If you go along this line, the meaning of the verse would be - God's basic ideas are still sound, despite those who have corrupted his message since. Dunno if I'd read it this way or not. Heavy, eh?]
Chris

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

MrChris wrote:Thanks

In terms of overall theme, a hard one to figure, but you could pick out a fairly veiled attack on televangelism and perhaps organised religion more generally ('all the things we never needed'...you can hail maries all night to no avail...).

Not totally confident about this one, but the second verse especially says something to me...

'God knows everybody needs
A hand in their decision
Some of us are not so sure
[that we need to make decisions for ourselves]
I seen his own held out
For a ride on television
[via a televangelist?]
I think he's still in Baltimore'

[1969 And All That wonders if 'Baltimore' refers to the Baltimore Catechisms, which explain the basic elements of Christianity. If you go along this line, the meaning of the verse would be - God's basic ideas are still sound, despite those who have corrupted his message since. Dunno if I'd read it this way or not. Heavy, eh?]
very heavy.... but once again i agree with your reading of that verse - pretty much to the letter :von:

1959 has a habit of being way off kilter though - and reading far too much into stuff - but to be fair this time, i cannot think of another reason why he'd choose baltimore over anywhere else in the bible belt - apart from the fact that it sort-of rhymes with "sure" ;)
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Lol - I guess it could the just the sound and rhythm of the word Baltimore, and the fact that's it's just generically Bible Belt, as you say. Agree about the 1959 site...still, we're led to believe that these layers of meaning are there, if only we can find them

I have a soft spot for this song, since it's one of the few Sisters songs that my wife will listen to...must have delicate ears, or something
Chris

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

MrChris wrote:Lol - I guess it could the just the sound and rhythm of the word Baltimore, and the fact that's it's just generically Bible Belt, as you say. Agree about the 1959 site...still, we're led to believe that these layers of meaning are there, if only we can find them

I have a soft spot for this song, since it's one of the few Sisters songs that my wife will listen to...must have delicate ears, or something
:D

mrs qb prefers the ones with female backing vocals on - more, etc
Petseri
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:1959 has a habit of being way off kilter though - and reading far too much into stuff - but to be fair this time, i cannot think of another reason why he'd choose baltimore over anywhere else in the bible belt - apart from the fact that it sort-of rhymes with "sure" ;)
Growing up about 40 minutes from Baltimore, I never heard of Charm City being part of the Bible Belt. It generally refers to an area farther south, no?

Martin
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

sorry, i didnt mean to infer that baltimore was in the biblebelt.... guess the "anywhere else" should have been "somewhere" ;)
pikkrong
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
MrChris wrote:Lol - I guess it could the just the sound and rhythm of the word Baltimore, and the fact that's it's just generically Bible Belt, as you say. Agree about the 1959 site...still, we're led to believe that these layers of meaning are there, if only we can find them

:D

mrs qb prefers the ones with female backing vocals on - more, etc
my wife loves Sisters but she had asked: "Why do we listen to it all the time?"
by the way, once she said her absolute favourite is "We Are The Same, Susanne".
and she had also said that "Some Boys..." (yes, "boys", not "girls") is their best album.
but there is one explanation to it: it was the first recording she heard of Sisters :) (due to me, of course ;D ).
do i drive
or am i driven
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Yes, Suzanne meets the approval of my missus too, along with Something Fast, I Was Wrong, and, her favourite of course, 1959. She's a good pianist (although rusty), and can apparently appreciate it from a musicological point of view. An unusual structure, apparently. I just like the tune, because I am a peasant, lol.
Chris

The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I've been listening to Something Fast the past week and it just occured to me that I read somewhere that Andrew used to eat at a place in Leeds called The Baltimore Diner. Could there be a connection? Or just another curious coincidence? Am I perhaps just dizzy from working all night?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

doesn't ring any bells.

there used to be a food place near headingley called "the boston exchange" - and there was an american diner near holbeck - one of those stainless steel silver caravan-type buildings that play 50s rock n roll on the jukebox and serve sh*te cheeseburgers and cr*p shakes :roll:

but then i am only a newcomer to leeds (2 weeks short of 5 years now!) so i guess there could have been something like the baltimor diner here at the time. it was quite a long time ago in business terms!
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Susanne (we are the same) is a damned fine tune.. just thought id add that

*goes back to tidying his room*
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Found the clipping, from '86-'87 I believe, called Deutsch Eldritch Freundschaft:

"Andrew made a flying visit to Leeds this week... ...he was spotted at the Baltimore Diner, indulging in a fish supper with two of the Hollow Men..."

Not sure how reliable that little snippet is. And still, there's probably no connection at all :?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

this one?

http://scrapbook.myheartland.co.uk/imag ... %20DEF.jpg

;D

i see what you mean.

now this is interesting: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... iner+leeds

look at the first entry - can anyone actually see this site?

http://baptism.co.nz/fly/1986a.html

i looked at google's cached version and:
The weekend was a great success. If you are ever in Leeds and needing to purchase an engagement ring, I would certainly recommend Rose's jewellers. However, the Baltimore Diner (sometimes called the Boston Diner) is the place I had chosen to propose marriage a month earlier.
it must be the "boston exchange" in headingley (which has shut down now anyway :urff: )
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

having said all that, i (for once) go with "1959 and all that"'s take on it:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Cl ... html#song4

"...if it does represent religious traditionalism, I suspect that actual word was chosen at least in part because it fitted the rhyme scheme well, although it also offers the best ironic contrast with the essentially American image of corrupt TV preachers..."