82 gig review & interesting 3 johns factoid

Post your reviews of Sisters-related material or interviews with Sisters-related musicians here. And don't believe the hype: 1985 most definitely is a fashion statement.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

http://www.jonlangford.de/johnsbio.htm
jonlangford.de wrote:Three Johns (very short) biography

<snip>

From "Post Punk Diary, 1980-1982" by G. Gimarc:

February 5, 1982 Friday:
Sisters of Mercy are seen playing live by X. Moore, who writes up a description of the goth band for the readers of NME. "This is York. City of red skins and blue collar rockers. This is a gig to be part of. Nice one. Sisters of Mercy's rhythm guitarist is in detention at school in Leeds. We wait for the little terror at the University. He looks about seven and the singer looks great. The bassist smells like he's just come from the 3 Johns. Spot the Mekon! Spiggy sings sommat about '69. Northerner takes detour through Detroit. This the MC5 of what? The Sisters go funky, Spigg hangs on like an unwanted junkie - some f**king nun! The music is all broken guitar strings and cracked voices. Pop! This is rock and roll insecticide. Skinny rent boys play scratchy guitar. Nice one. Sisters of Mercy slap and slam, the audience clap and cram the dancefloor. The Sisters whip out the single ("Body Electric"), flash both sides ("Adrenochrome") and the dancers call for more poison."

May 25, 1982 Tuesday:
The Three Johns make their vinyl debut with the single "English White Boy Engineer" and "Secret Agent" on the CNT Records label from Leeds. The 'a' side is a song that guitarist Jon Langford wrote while he was with the Mekons last year, a track that he has played solo for a John Peel session that aired several times since the Mekons recorded it in January of '81. The two other "Johns" are vocalist John Hyatt, a former member of Sheeny and the Goys and bassist John Brennan was in 25 Rifles. Even Jon Langford has another past experience besides the Mekons. For the wink of an eye, he was a member of the Sisters of Mercy.

<snip>
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

jonlangford.de wrote:Sisters of Mercy's rhythm guitarist is in detention at school in Leeds.
I assume this means Ben. Was he really still at school? :eek:

Or is it a joke?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Wouldn't surprise me.. he always looked younger than the others. And "school" could mean up to 18, remember.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I guess. Just saying, Eldo would have been 22 at the time.

Mind you, he's a f*ck of a lot more than 4 years older than RoboBreezers or Ben Christo. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ormfdmrush
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
jonlangford.de wrote:Sisters of Mercy's rhythm guitarist is in detention at school in Leeds.

Or is it a joke?
Christo?
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Gunn.
mh
Above the Chemist

Aye, young Gunn Minor may have been a terror for skipping double Chemistry, which as we all know would be a cardinal sin in the Sisters.

Joking aside, I believe he was 17 (or maybe even 16) when he joined.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Nice review. You don't read that sort of thing much these days do ya? :|

You tend to get this....

http://eatyourgreens.org.uk/archives/20 ... _nine.html

:? but also :lol:

(apologies if this has already been posted).
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

mh wrote:Aye, young Gunn Minor may have been a terror for skipping double Chemistry, which as we all know would be a cardinal sin in the Sisters.

Joking aside, I believe he was 17 (or maybe even 16) when he joined.
:eek: It's all rather mind-boggling, innit? Maybe it's just me...
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Planet Dave wrote:Nice review. You don't read that sort of thing much these days do ya? :|

You tend to get this....

http://eatyourgreens.org.uk/archives/20 ... _nine.html

:? but also :lol:

(apologies if this has already been posted).
Great Linkage :lol:
&#8206;"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

ormfdmrush wrote:
markfiend wrote:

Or is it a joke?
Christo?
In 1982... :lol: :lol:
"as we walk on the floodland"
mh
Above the Chemist

Out of interest, do any photos of the Langford-era Sisters exist?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Quiff Boy wrote: February 5, 1982 Friday:
Sisters of Mercy are seen playing live by X. Moore, who writes up a description of the goth band for the readers of NME. "This is York. City of red skins and blue collar rockers. This is a gig to be part of. Nice one. Sisters of Mercy's rhythm guitarist is in detention at school in Leeds. We wait for the little terror at the University. He looks about seven and the singer looks great. The bassist smells like he's just come from the 3 Johns. Spot the Mekon! Spiggy sings sommat about '69. Northerner takes detour through Detroit. This the MC5 of what? The Sisters go funky, Spigg hangs on like an unwanted junkie - some f**king nun! The music is all broken guitar strings and cracked voices. Pop! This is rock and roll insecticide. Skinny rent boys play scratchy guitar. Nice one. Sisters of Mercy slap and slam, the audience clap and cram the dancefloor. The Sisters whip out the single ("Body Electric"), flash both sides ("Adrenochrome") and the dancers call for more poison."
God - I can remember that word for word from back in the day when I used read and re-read all the cuttings. Originally printed in Sounds I think :urff: Them were the days. :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: February 5, 1982 Friday:
God - I can remember that word for word from back in the day when I used read and re-read all the cuttings. Originally printed in Sounds I think :urff: Them were the days. :wink:
Music papers the size of a broadsheet!
&#8206;"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
ormfdmrush
Slight Overbomber

Ozpat wrote:
ormfdmrush wrote:
markfiend wrote: I assume this means Ben. Was he really still at school? :eek:

Or is it a joke?
Christo?
In 1982... :lol: :lol:
he might have used a time machine :innocent:
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:Out of interest, do any photos of the Langford-era Sisters exist?
Yep, there's one printed in 'Romance + Assassination' - a US fanzine from 1985. But its a photo from a UK paper. Just can't quite remember which one or what date. John Langford and Eldritch wearing a bullet belt. 'tis a cool pic. Will post if I can find.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Being645
Above the Chemist

bismarck wrote:
mh wrote:Out of interest, do any photos of the Langford-era Sisters exist?
Yep, there's one printed in 'Romance + Assassination' - a US fanzine from 1985. But its a photo from a UK paper. Just can't quite remember which one or what date. John Langford and Eldritch wearing a bullet belt. 'tis a cool pic. Will post if I can find.
Did you check and find it by now? ... :D ... *that were great !!! :kiss:
Joy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The original article (NME 20/02/1982) is somewhat longer...

"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
Being645
Above the Chemist

Joy wrote:The original article (NME 20/02/1982) is somewhat longer...

Nice find, Joy ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ... ;D ...