"Wake" - best live audio?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
halfjobbob
Road Kill

I recently got my VHS copy of Wake put onto DVD and then ripped the audio track...been listening to it on my MP3 thing a lot...it's got to be the best "live" Sisters quality? Walk Away at full volume is a joy to behold!

Do you think there is anything better? (and if so, it must be a belter!)

22 years on and it still sends shivers down my spine.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Sisters tracks in general do that to me regardless, almost, of sound quality, or era :D
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Carpathian Psychonaut
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I do know what you mean though - as much as I listen to the recorded output there is always that something that brings me back to Wake.

I know others on here may prefer the early demos or the rip of the last live gig they went to. Hell, some may even prefer VT but I just think that on the night of the RAH gig they nailed it, regardless (or because of) of tensions at the time.

Von is taught and fevered, the bass sound has a nice growl, the guitar suitably lifting and the good Doktor seems to cut through hard.

Yeah, all in all, I'm with this thread 106.4%
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Totally agree (in principle) but the 'Holocaust' bootleg, ripped from the vid soundtrack and digitally remastered by Kiss The Stone, scores a 9.99 out of 10.
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
Karst
Slight Overbomber

The two Leeds 2003 gigs do it for me.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Wake is obviously the best for sound quality because it's soundboard. Although when you listen on earphones the "hisss" from the s's annoys me :(
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Yep, Holocaust is a stonker and suits full volume very nicely. As does Frankfurt and Leeds 2003, Manchester 97, quite a few from 06, yadda yadda, like Mr aKlipse says, most of them do.

Recently though, Nine While Nine / Ghostrider from Newcastle 85 has been on more or less constant loop, pure and utter genius on every level imaginable. Now THAT's why I love The Sisters so much. :von: :notworthy:

That and any good recording / performance of Crash & Burn. 8)
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
randdebiel²
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Newcastle 85 is still the best fo me too, of course, nine while nine hasn't been performed live that much, which is a not to be discarded bonus....

wake wins on knocking on heaven's door of course, but it's no par to NWN
shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather....
mh
Above the Chemist

Not a fan of the Huss guitar sound from that era, but there's a few 84 recordings that totally do it for me.

Gimme "rough around the edges" rather than "smooth 'n' polished" any day of the week. Oh, and that version of "Burn", too... :notworthy:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Badlander
Overbomber

You can't compare an official live recording to a bootleg, even if it's soundboard. :roll:
From that era, only Wake got proper production & mastering, and possibly the occasional overdubs. It makes a hell of a difference. So no wonder it sounds better than any other live recording. But that means in no way it's the Girls' best live recording ever in terms of intrinsic value.
Similarly, there's no other version of Ribbons that sounds as good as the WYDSM b-side. Again, proper production and mastering work magic.
So no, Wake isn't my all-time favourite Sisters live recording. Not even close. :von:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
kazamel
Amphetamine Filth

randdebiel² wrote:Newcastle 85 is still the best fo me too, of course, nine while nine hasn't been performed live that much, which is a not to be discarded bonus....
seconded
more of an honest sound than the overbombing of RAH, too
I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven. Can you hear it? It's like when you put your head to the grass and you can hear the growin' and you can hear the insects.
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Maybe I misunderstood the original question. Or others did?

I will agree that RAH is the finest audio available. I'll also agree that NWN (Newcastle 85) is the Sisters finest live moment.

I'd also say that a first gen recording of Colchester 84 is the finest live performance/recording from The Sisters. Period. It's very, very good up to Alice but from then onwards it rocks like a juggernaut. With no brakes.

My reasoning is simply for the fact that it's the only thing that I have ever heard, that could really make the younger fans imagine just what it was like to part of a Black October gig.
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Johnny Rev 7.0 wrote: I'd also say that a first gen recording of Colchester 84 is the finest live performance/recording from The Sisters. Period. It's very, very good up to Alice but from then onwards it rocks like a juggernaut. With no brakes.

My reasoning is simply for the fact that it's the only thing that I have ever heard, that could really make the younger fans imagine just what it was like to part of a Black October gig.
All sounds well and good, Johnny, and how exactly does one get hold of a copy of said recording :innocent: :wink: Is it the same one as was unofficially released by the bootleggers (can't remember what it was called), where the sound levels were up and down like a fart in a bottle? I assume not. 8) But maybe so, as I never got beyond the first few tracks before frustration and frisbee time kicked in. :innocent:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

I think you mean 'Revelations'. Or whatever that nonsense was called.

Yet another reason to check with Ethan about the 12th. That's four in your pocket at my last count. :innocent:

And you, YES YOU! YOU BASTARD! who introduced me to Rrrrrrrrrrstein, never ever, ever, told me about the secret 'track' on Reise, Reise. :evil:

Slightly of topic folks, so I do apologise now.
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Johnny Rev 7.0 wrote:I think you mean 'Revelations'. Or whatever that nonsense was called.

Yet another reason to check with Ethan about the 12th. That's four in your pocket at my last count. :innocent:

And you, YES YOU! YOU BASTARD! who introduced me to Rrrrrrrrrrstein, never ever, ever, told me about the secret 'track' on Reise, Reise. :evil:

Slightly of topic folks, so I do apologise now.
Topic? What topic? More to the point, what secret track? Hmmmm.....

Ethan has been consulted, and Ethan says yes. :D Def me, maybe Mand, time will tell...

Oh, THAT topic, yeah, sorry folks...Revelations is the one, glad to hear it IS pure pish and I've not been sat on a gem all these years. :lol:
Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

Planet Dave wrote:More to the point, what secret track?
Clicky

Possibly old hat to some of you but news to me as per the clicky.

But inserting a black box recording of the worst single-aircraft disaster in history, resulting in a total of 520 deaths, at the start of Reise, Reise ('Travel, Travel') doesn't really work with me. No matter how dark their 'humour' is. :roll:
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

News to me too, J. Iffy it may be, but it is in keeping with the general theme. The best promo pic was the one which mad eit to the cover of the Prague bootleg 'Prag Teil'...band on beach, plane in flames hitting the ocean. I expected similar thematics in the tour set, but I've no complaints about the Gigeresque design.

Right, sorry folks, really, back to the thread....

a late entry in terms of top quality Sisters recordings - Malmo 2006. 8) :notworthy: :von:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Maybe it's not great taste, but neither is inserting Hitler speeches into songs. Fatherland remix, anyone?
aims
Overbomber

I'll meet you in Poland, baby...
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I don't personally have a problem with either.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Dark wrote:Maybe it's not great taste, but neither is inserting Hitler speeches into songs. Fatherland remix, anyone?
I think it was actually Joseph Goebbels. That changes everything.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
James Blast
Banned

RTTT
Wake was all I had to live with for a year of two till I bought some really bad tapes, one was the Paradiso recording and was fair the other one was just labelled 'Germany' and was awful. So I still played and listened to my copy of Wake over and over and over. Hence my love of Wayne's solo on KoHD. Around 1995 I bought 'Enjoy the Puppet Show' which is fine, even tho' they murder Comfortably Numb. Then a mate went to Singapore and brought me back 'Trans Europe Excess', now that is good!
I guess I will forever hold a candle (or carry a torch) for Wake.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

newcastle '85 and trojan horse '84 over RAH simply because TSOM songs are a twin-guitar thing. best live sound therefore has to be the official live recording of FALAA and marian from the whistle test...if you can get a good copy that's not been ripped from tenth generation video.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Potski
Road Kill

My faves have to be 'Holocaust' and Newcastle both from 85, I also like the Germany 90 bootleg for its good sound quality, but have to say Body and Soul gets absolutly murdered, and should only realy be played on a twelve string guitar, as most of FALAA should be which is probably why it dont get played live anymore
halfjobbob
Road Kill

Fair point eastmidswhizzkid, FALAA on Whistle Test is superb but my copy of the 7" has 2 jumps in it which totally ruin it....I guess I should try and get a decent copy!

As for Wake - as great as I think it is given that it was an official release. - I picked up a copy of Trojan Horse many moons ago in Karlsruhe and it's definitely up near the top of the list for me. Along with Newcastle 85...