wide receiver

Unknown songs and demos, who wrote what, who sang what, the usual biographies, discography gubbins, photos of Eldritch with no sunglasses, etc, etc, etc, yadda, yadda, yadda....
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

does anyone know who wrote the music
and the lyrics for this song?

a pitty it dosent have a proper production :(
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I remember asking the same question myself a few months ago. I quite like it, but apparently Von has denied knowledge of it. One theory is that it was written by someone close to the band, whether a hanger-on or roadie or a fan I don't know. Wide Receiver is apparently a sporting reference to someone far out, fielding? Kind of like the catcher way out in the rye, if you catch my drift? Detached from things? Sorry, not being very cogent today.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
The Green Lantern
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Many believe it to be a hoax. Andrew, when asked, claimed he never heard of it, like Mr C mentioned.
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

MrChris wrote:I remember asking the same question myself a few months ago. I quite like it, but apparently Von has denied knowledge of it. One theory is that it was written by someone close to the band, whether a hanger-on or roadie or a fan I don't know. Wide Receiver is apparently a sporting reference to someone far out, fielding? Kind of like the catcher way out in the rye, if you catch my drift? Detached from things? Sorry, not being very cogent today.
rather ulikely it can be someone outside the band, it s a classic sisters
song, not even the Merry thoughts could make such an imitation of the
sound, so its even Von or the captain, but who??or both?? :? :?
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

and by the way it was first released by the pallazograssi
guys , which means it is a sisters song.
The Green Lantern

sunset yellow wrote:and by the way it was first released by the pallazograssi
guys , which means it is a sisters song.
Interesting. I have it on a very ugly-looking bootleg with a gothic statue on the sleeve, but I've stored it away and I don't know where it's from. I listened to it quite recently though on a downloaded clip and I must say that one second it sounds like Andy singing, the next it doesn't. Could be poor audio quality I guess. I don't know. Interesting to know that it was the Palazzograssi guys though. Thanks.
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I agree with you on the vocals - it's hard to say whether it's Von or not. Anyone ever had an argument with someone who had Gift by the Sisterhood, and insisted it was obviously, definitely, clearly Von singing? I know I have...
Chris

The Green Lantern

MrChris wrote:I agree with you on the vocals - it's hard to say whether it's Von or not. Anyone ever had an argument with someone who had Gift by the Sisterhood, and insisted it was obviously, definitely, clearly Von singing? I know I have...
Yeah, I've been there too :urff: :roll: :D
Jim
Slight Overbomber

It's a easy mistake to make.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
mayhem
Glam Rock Throwback

Andrew sounds like Andrew, James Ray sounds like a more tuneful Vanian. You would need cloth ears to mistake one for the other.

M
Dan
Overbomber

mayhem wrote:Andrew sounds like Andrew, James Ray sounds like a more tuneful Vanian. You would need cloth ears to mistake one for the other.

M
I agree. Much like all the morons sharing "Sisters Of Mercy - Cry Little Sister" on kazaa/etc..
Jim
Slight Overbomber

I disagree - I think you're speaking after years of listening to both. Myself, I can tell them apart in a second, but in the early days I couldn't see much difference.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

yes ok so some got confused with the vocals BUT

ANY IDEA WHO WROTE THE BLOODY SONG????

thank you
Black Biscuit

I have never heard the song, don't know who wrote it and perhaps never will hear it. But, yes, I believe the term Wide Receiver refers to sports - cricket, specifically.

When a bowler bowls a ball and it is far from travelling in a straight line (ie, goes nowhere near the batter or the stumps) the umpire calls a "wide".

Now, I guess the guy near enough to catch the ball is the Wide Receiver. Dunno if he'd be in the outfield though - unless it was very wide!
.... there is no semblance of rock 'n roll around here!
khepri II

Black Biscuit wrote:I have never heard the song, don't know who wrote it and perhaps never will hear it. But, yes, I believe the term Wide Receiver refers to sports - cricket, specifically.

When a bowler bowls a ball and it is far from travelling in a straight line (ie, goes nowhere near the batter or the stumps) the umpire calls a "wide".

Now, I guess the guy near enough to catch the ball is the Wide Receiver. Dunno if he'd be in the outfield though - unless it was very wide!

and American football which ties up with his '91 stage gear and the "rare" visionthing t-shirt with the lyrics all over it :von:
Just remember this. This rabble you keep talking about does most of the working, paying and dying in this community.
Black Biscuit

My very own moniker, Black Biscuit, also refers to sport. (I love this next question...) Can anyone guess what a black biscuit is? Think sports...
elguiri

Wouldnt be an ice hockey fan :wink: , would we?
"Very Elderly Bastard Groovy"
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Having relistened to it, it sounds like the sort of vocal line von would come up with, but the voice sounds wrong.

To be honest, my version sounds like it's been slowed down (also sounds like it's off vinyl....wonder what the original source of the boot is) - makes it seem a bit dull, but makes the voice sound more von like (or at least distorts it enough to make identification difficult). What I CAN hear of it sounds like someone doing a Von impression.

Hypothetically could it have been Marx or someone demoing a song in a "mock eldritch" voice? Sounds like his guitar.

The other possibility is it's Paddy taking the p*ss ;-)
Jim
Slight Overbomber

I raised the pitch a couple of semi tones - the vocals sound much more natural but interestingly nothing at all like Von - I could swear I can hear a bit of a Gary marx accent......?
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

You could be right, Jim. I definitely don't think it's Von. Most importantly, why would he deny writing it if he really had, in contrast to all the other scraps around? Marx could be a possibility. To be honest, it could be someone in a shed trying to raise some interest in a bootleg by passing something off as genuine...wouldn't be the first time, would it?
Chris

CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Quiffy knows Gary doesn't he? Maybe he could ask him for us...
24.24.2.489 Deceased
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

Yeah! Go Superquiff!
Chris

Black Biscuit

elguiri wrote:Wouldnt be an ice hockey fan :wink: , would we?
--- You got it in one!
James Blast
Banned

I got an mp3 of Wide Receiver and Driver and if it is The Sisters, it's them on a very off day, and yes Jim intially I thought it was Mr. E singing on Gift.

regards
James Blast
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

CellThree wrote:Quiffy knows Gary doesn't he? Maybe he could ask him for us...
i wouldn't go THAT far.... :urff:

but he seems like an amiable chap so you could always mail him via his website and ask him! be warned though, he's a little slow at responding to emails! :lol:

:notworthy:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?