About "Flood I"

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
_emma_
Overbomber

Oh my, oh my! :lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy: :urff:
eotunun
Overbomber

The Urban Dictionary about the "Head"
5. Head

1. The act of oral sex, by or to either gender.
2. The tip of the penis, scientifically known as the glans.
3. A drug addict. Can be used in general, or in regard to a specific drug.
4. The part of the body from the neck up.
And the U.D. on "Hallway":
1. hallway

The body part between the back door and the front door.
So, when it's "Her hallway moves at the head of the river", that actually makes it pretty obvious. If only the German-English dictionaries weren't as politically correct, I might have learnt that decades ago.
There is shadow under this red rock
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

so is "source of the sea" a play on words, as in "sauce of the C (-word)"? surely it must be a reference to fanny-batter. or has she just pissed herself?:innocent: :twisted:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
alice
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:so is "source of the sea" a play on words, as in "sauce of the C (-word)"? surely it must be a reference to fanny-batter. or has she just pissed herself?:innocent: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good lord, this is getting worse by the minute !
Elvis meets Kierkegaard
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

alice wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:so is "source of the sea" a play on words, as in "sauce of the C (-word)"? surely it must be a reference to fanny-batter. or has she just pissed herself?:innocent: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good lord, this is getting worse by the minute !
that's what i'm here for! ;D
(having once been declared the most foul-mouthed and filthy-minded person she had ever encountered by our local's landlord's wife, EMWK intended never to have to relinquish his crown) :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I bet I could give you a run for your money in the filthy-minded department, Lee, that's for damn sure! :twisted: :innocent: ;) :lol:

Foul-mouthed, though, not so much - mainly because I just don't have the repertoire that you lot possess by simply hailing from the UK. Unfair! :P
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

So is the album named after the wet patch?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:So is the album named after the wet patch?
Legend has it that the original name of the album was Mapatasi, but there were some copyright issues.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

:eek:
Apparently, no one's heard of condoms... :urff: :roll:
James Blast
Banned

time I tuned in to this thread, it's getting messy :twisted:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

SINsister wrote::eek:
Apparently, no one's heard of condoms... :urff: :roll:
Sure we have - and so have Ebeneezer and Snooch 8)
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
alice
Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: (having once been declared the most foul-mouthed and filthy-minded person
I think i am starting to LIKE you ;D
Elvis meets Kierkegaard
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

Well, now. I'd hate to disappoint SINsister, and it looks as though a number of you could do with a cold shower, so here's what I bashed together on Dominion:

So, I was taking a much-needed break from the Wii, and I got to thinking about Flood... as you do.

Now, I reckon Flood I is typically thought of as being basically about sex. And of course there's a lot of the kinky in there, with its rushing waters and its lashes and its metal and blood and, well, its flood. But I don't think that's all there is. I don't think it's really just about looking back at a sexual encounter; I think it's a lot more complex than that. Now, I may be overthinking it, but I reckon it's a song about breaking up, or preparing to do so, as much as, or more than, it is about shagging.

I think it's about premptively feeling guilt and anguish at what he's about to do, or what he has done. I think what the writer's trying to write down has more to do with how to end a relationship than with the beginning of a new one. That's why there's the anticipation of a "flood of your tears". In fact, as I've argued about many of Eldritch's songs, I think it's vital to look closely at the precise words he's using: I think there's a divide in the song between "your tears" and "her hallway"; there're two different women involved here! To me, this explains the dense internal conflict that runs through the song; it's the difference between "pushing the glass" (away?) and "staining the glass" (with lips?); it's the water rushing in, and the water rushing over. Through all of this, then, the "flood" isn't merely sexual; it's a flood of emotions under which ultimately the writer both gains and surrenders; as he's said, the raising of arms represents both a triumph and a defeat, in a flood.

However-- there's actually never really a resolution in the song; there's never entirely the sense of a decision having been firmly made. It may be a stretch, but I'm always tempted to read "ashes" as a proxy for cigarettes, indicating that a lot of time is imagined being spent with "you" - crying, then talking and talking and talking and finally "lies" -- making up, or making believe at having made up, even while the "backcloth" of the other woman persists (lovely sense of theatricity that brings in, isn't it?)... and so, one more thought before I get back to Mario: with this gloss, doesn't the "secondhand passion" suddenly make sense? It seems a pretty apt way of phrasing guilty sex with woman A while still thinking about woman B...

And now, back to Mario!

[bring on the pocket protector comments, and those about how "it's just a song"...]
[repeat x40]
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

EvilBastard wrote:
stufarq wrote:So is the album named after the wet patch?
Legend has it that the original name of the album was Mapatasi, but there were some copyright issues.
I honestly didn't know that. How clever am I?

Why copyright issues when it's a slang word? was someone already using it in a trademark?

Dirty jokes aside, I agree about the flood of emotion. Not sure about the ashes=cigarettes idea though. The word is only ever used in the song in conjunction with sackcloth, making it a sign of mourning.

The one part of the song(s) that's always confused me is the strange men renting strange flowers, and the only meaning I can come up with for that is picking up prostitutes, bearing in mind what "flower" is often a euphemism for. It also ties in with "picking up your petals".
Dark
Underneath the Rock

kafka wrote:[bring on the pocket protector comments, and those about how "it's just a song"...]
Well.. aren't they all, really?
_emma_
Overbomber

Nude branches of a tree in autumn look like a leaf's nerves under a microscope. The network of rivers on Earth resembles human blood circulation network. Ulysses resembels the "holy books", which are a huge error anyway. Flood I is about everything and about anything. Without the deadly handsome lead singer, Flood I would be a speck of dust in the wind. :lol:
Edit: it still is. :|
Yes, I'm drunk. :kiss:
James Blast
Banned

it rains an awful lot these days, it was a prophesy? :roll:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
_emma_
Overbomber

No. :lol:
eotunun
Overbomber

@Lee: :notworthy: :lol: :lol: :notworthy: Ya brilliant bastard!
@GeorgeB: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: That makes a lot of sense what you say. Food for thought.

I had the idea that the pushing and staining of the glass and pushing the writer to the wall must not necessarily be taking place in the bar, he might have pushed and stained the glas of a window and have pushed himself against the wall to avoid being seen?
Doesn't really fit in, Hm?
There is shadow under this red rock
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

"Stain the glass" = "lipstick on the windowpane" ?

As to the 'strange men rent strange flowers'... well, Eldritch has covered that -- http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Cl ... html#song2

This may be a stretch, but if the flowers signify new love, then petals being picked up off the floor might well signify the end of an old one...
[repeat x40]
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Hmm. I always imagined "strange men renting strange flowers" as referring to prostitution...
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

@ George: really glad to see you 'round these parts again, man! ;D
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

eotunun wrote:@Lee: :notworthy: :lol: :lol: :notworthy: Ya brilliant bastard!
@GeorgeB: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: That makes a lot of sense what you say. Food for thought.

I had the idea that the pushing and staining of the glass and pushing the writer to the wall must not necessarily be taking place in the bar, he might have pushed and stained the glas of a window and have pushed himself against the wall to avoid being seen?
Doesn't really fit in, Hm?
he once got bottled [another persons bird]. the stained glass, his blood?
Goths have feelings too
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

kafka wrote: As to the 'strange men rent strange flowers'... well, Eldritch has covered that -- http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Cl ... html#song2

This may be a stretch, but if the flowers signify new love, then petals being picked up off the floor might well signify the end of an old one...
Ah, didn't know that. Thanks.
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

I'd forgotten about the bottling incident... yes, I do think that would fit pretty well...
[repeat x40]