crap top help needed (episode umpteen)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

Until I do actually get a mac I need to run with my hp compaq nc6220 slap top for the time being.
Thing is, since 2 days ago, all of the USB ports seem to have packed up for some reason.
I plug in an external HDD (the one with all my itunes library & moozik on & get a "not recognised" message.
If I re-start, I can get the thing to show for a few minutes & then "boof" gone :?
I tried synching my pod the that evening & it won't turn off now.
OS is XP pro sp2 & I have been all over the MS site for support or updates & the thing's still shagged.
Anyone got any bright ideas other than throw the lappy off the balcony?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

If you've got a Linux live CD* handy, try booting from that to see if the USB ports work under Linux.

(* tend to be available on the front of computer magazines, or downloaded if you can still burn CDs)

If they work under another OS then it's a Windows problem, and is possibly solvable with reinstalling USB drivers, or if that doesn't work, a windows reinstall.

If they don't, then your computer's shagged.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eotunun
Overbomber

Vott zher Lord said. I suggest you get either Knoppix or Ubuntu live CDs (Free downloadable). They are the best at hardware recognition. If they don't recognize a USB device, no Linux live system will.
There is shadow under this red rock
Zuma
Slight Overbomber

Might be worth a defrag with the external drive not plugged in....
Todays sarcasm is tomorrow's news
scotty
Overbomber

I thought this was going to be about a CURE T-Shirt.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Pista
Cureboi

scotty wrote:I thought this was going to be about a CURE T-Shirt.
OI!! (although it took a while for the penny to drop :notworthy: ) :eek:

I resemble that remark

:lol: :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

BTW.
I seem to have sorted it.
I went into the device manager & uninstalled all the USB controllers, re-booted & they all re-installed & everything seems okay right now.
So I burnt my Cure MSG dvd & now need to fix the sodding dvd player.
Ho hum..... :|
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
scotty
Overbomber

Pista wrote:
scotty wrote:I thought this was going to be about a CURE T-Shirt.
OI!! (although it took a while for the penny to drop :notworthy: ) :eek:

I resemble that remark

:lol: :lol:
Keep up @ the back :roll: :twisted: :lol:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Pista
Cureboi

Thought I had it cracked, but now after an hour or so, the devices just get dropped like a hot brick. :|

I am really stumped now. :?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity