08.04.2009 - Leeds

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
_emma_
Overbomber

Wow, so much great expectations. People are dressing up. Taking the afternoon off work. Saying that they cannot wait. Legend. Leeds. The first gig after the infamous sick leave.

What if it turns out to be way below average? Which may happen, y'know. :innocent:

*ducks and runs away*

Don't listen to me, I am just being terribly jealous here. :roll: :urff:
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

Hope the week off was good for them and they come back better than ever for you all tonight! Going to see a show in Leeds is a bit like traveling to Mecca, eh? :D Course if I lived overseas that would be a show I'd be trying to see as well! Have fun - and tell us all about it when you get back!
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
Moakahontas
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

_emma_ wrote:Wow, so much great expectations. People are dressing up. Taking the afternoon off work. Saying that they cannot wait. Legend. Leeds. The first gig after the infamous sick leave.

What if it turns out to be way below average? Which may happen, y'know. :innocent:

*ducks and runs away*

Let´s have a cup of tea, hon..I´m jealous too.. :cry:
_emma_
Overbomber

I said already that tea is not my cup of tea, didn't I? :lol:
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

_emma_ wrote:Wow, so much great expectations. People are dressing up. Taking the afternoon off work. Saying that they cannot wait. Legend. Leeds. The first gig after the infamous sick leave.

*ducks and runs away*

:lol: You know, I had thought of that as well, but honestly I think any Sisters show is a great time - that could just be me and how I'm just thrilled to hear the songs at all. Maybe I just have low expectations in general. :roll: But I always have to take time off work anytime I want to see a show, unfortunately I'm 2 to 3 hours away from anyplace that would have anybody worth seeing, so that I completely understand. I had a blast in 2006 on the Silver Bullet tour (first time ever seeing them) but after seeing them this past tour and looking back, the current tour is honestly much better, in my opinion. Sound wise, crowd wise, smoke wise. :wink: It's all an experience.
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
Moakahontas
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

_emma_ wrote:I said already that tea is not my cup of tea, didn't I? :lol:
:roll: ...yapp..I remember..sorry..coffee? Beer? I already have some red wine here? :roll:
psichonaut
Overbomber

i'm jealous, have fun mates
waiting for the review
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
Jim
Slight Overbomber

Meh. Saw an okay sisters covers band tonight...
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Bonksi
Amphetamine Filth

They were fuckin great, they played a blinder. Pretty standard set list, but they fuckin ruled. Not enough people dancing, too many plastic goffs though!!, had a great time.
Words are just dust, in deserts of sound.
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I have never walked out of a gig before in my life. 36 mins into this disaster of Sisters gig and I did. The first gig I've ever left because it was abject sh!te. Ben Christo murdered Ribbons. Alice??? WTF? No energy, no balls. Absolute s**t gig. The talk around me from long time fans and ones who'd seen The Sisters earlier in the tour...worst gig on the tour, possibly even the worst gig ever performed by The Sisters.

The crowd that weren't either drunk or first timers, hardly moved. It's the most lack luster Leeds crowd, or any Sisters crowd for-that-matter, I've ever seen.

Blast, you made the right decision to stay away mate. I just wasted the best part of £80 on tickets (I bought 4, 3 were gifts). It comes to something when a first timer says: "This is putting me off buying any Sisters CDs."

The only good part was that Andrew's voice was better than on the Silver Bullet tour.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Just got back, it was either stay for the aftershow & have to walk home 11 miles due to lack of funds for a taxi, or get a bus straight after. I chose wisely.

So, the show...

Too quiet, far too f*cking quiet. :evil:
On a good note the fog was far less than normal, all 3 of them were pretty clear at various times, but then I was near the front.

The pit was the most violent I've been in for a Sisters gig. Hope its as good next time. 8)

Set-list was standard, no Floorshow but we did get Marian & Romeo Down (I begged Chris to play RM via Facebook, you never know, he might have listened! Shame it sounded absolutely & utterly feeble but there you go).

First time I've come away from a Sisters gig since Manchester Academy in 2000 feeling slightly disappointed. Maybe it was the sound, maybe it was the fact that they didn't seem into it, maybe they're still ill, maybe that's as good as they get nowadays. Who knows but it felt weak to me, & if I'm gonna stick my neck out I could even stretch to the word sh*t.
Others may have a different perspective but there we go. :wink:

Great to see everyone anyway, old & new, from fine young Dutch ladies to a Gonzoid Amphetamine 700 miles an hour person called Lee. And not forgetting Timsinister's new hair.

10/10 for the company.
5/10 for the gig.

Al. 8)
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
Headingly
Road Kill

Had a fantastic time. Clear sound (once they got the guitar levels sorted out) still grinning.

Only downer was that a large chunk of the crowd didn't seem all that into it.

Last and only other time I have seen them was the train wreck of a gig at Leeds Uni in 2001. All my bad memories have been washed away.
AdamS2
Road Kill

Well I think you were being very hard there and to be honest they got better as the night went on so by leaving early you missed their best.

ok, the first couple of tracks were lacking a bit of energy but they have been ill ffs!

All in all a very very enjoyable evening and I think they rocked. Even my good mrs (who isnt a sisters fan) said they were brilliant and commented on the way out "they are a very cool band".
lachert
Overbomber

looks shame :(
long live rock'n'roll
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Pics?
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Syberberg

AdamS2 wrote:Well I think you were being very hard there and to be honest they got better as the night went on so by leaving early you missed their best.

ok, the first couple of tracks were lacking a bit of energy but they have been ill ffs!

All in all a very very enjoyable evening and I think they rocked. Even my good mrs (who isnt a sisters fan) said they were brilliant and commented on the way out "they are a very cool band".
I wasn't expecting them to be on top form due to being ill, I was pleasantly surprised at how well Andrew's voice was.

The main thing that put me off was Ben Christo's guitar playing..he's not a bad guitarist at all and is certainly more than competent, I just don't like his guitar sound and the way he plays. Not after Adam anyway. When he murdered Ribbons, I was ready to walk out there and then but was persuaded to stay. Then he finished the job off with the worst rendition of Marian I've ever heard. It was god awful, quite frankly. When he first joined the band and I saw them on the Silver Bullet Tour, I wasn't convinced his sound was right, or that he made a convincing replacement for Adam. I was hoping to be proven wrong. Mr Catalyst, however, I do like.

One of my companions asked: "When did the Sisters become a bad cock rock band? They were miles better on the Smoke and Mirrors tour at Bristol."

As for "the crowd didn't really seem into it" comments...there's usually a bloody good reason why crowds just stand there being unimpressed...because what they're seeing on stage isn't impressing them and it took me by surprise as well. I've never seen so many bored and disinterested faces.

I honestly never thought I'd ever walk out of a Sisters gig. I mean, the Leeds gig on the Silver Bullet Tour was a below par Sisters gig, but good grief, it was still a good gig, just not by Sisters standards. This was just awful.

PS: The light show was bloody good though.
Syberberg

neuromunger
Road Kill

I see I'm not the only one who thought this was a below par performance, albeit I do so with a heavy heart. The sound improved a bit in the second half of the gig, though Andrews voice was barely audable near the back. The 2 guitar, no bass format lacks the subelty the Sisters were renowned for. Marianne was... awful there is no other word for it, I'm sorry.

I went with a friend, who was seeing the Sisters for the first time, he wasn't impressed. Sad. The crowd were quiet but did liven up, particularly to the songs least 'revised' and for the second encore. The band's energy on stage was good but its a sad day when the Sisters can't sell out Leeds.

Haven't given up the faith but another night like this..?
robertzombie
Overbomber

The gig was absolutely AMAZING! :D

Sound levels were nice and clear, Eldritch was on top form as were the guitarists. Highlights were Flood II and First And Last And Always.

Can't agree at all with the nay-sayers, this gig was VERY GOOD!
robertzombie
Overbomber

The gig was absolutely AMAZING! :D

Sound levels were nice and clear, Eldritch was on top form as were the guitarists. Highlights were Flood II and First And Last And Always.

Can't agree at all with the nay-sayers, this gig was VERY GOOD!
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

Well I enjoyed it. The sound and lights were as good as they could be under the circumstances.

If you didn't like it, I suggest you stay at home next time because to be honest this is as good as the Sisters get these days... :)

But why was the aftershow party louder than the gig? WTF?! :?
The Scene won't save you...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

because, The Sisters of mercy care about your ear.
oi seems that the end is coming, very quickly.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

From worst ever seen to great amazing gig? :lol:

Thanks for the reviews. Fun to read... :lol:

Expectations....
"as we walk on the floodland"
Pista
Cureboi

It's kind of bizarre that there are such differing opinions on this one.
Seems to be no "in-between" either.

The whole volume thing is bugging me. In Vienna, I thought they'd shake the gasometer down they were so fcuking loud.
Maybe the gripes about Eldo's "voice" has prompted them to turn everything down in an attempt to make him audible?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
lachert
Overbomber

Scardwel wrote: But why was the aftershow party louder than the gig? WTF?! :?
:lol: same in cracow. we must shout directly to someone ear when drinking beer in bar, but on gig, you can whisper to somebody 1 meter away from you, under the stage, and it was enough :lol:
stupid, stupid policy :x someone should be hang for this :evil: many people i know said that this is their end of sisters adventure and they stops care about such lame band :urff:
long live rock'n'roll